T2 s: Who thinks testing 1 hr after eating is important?

I heard it put that "initially a T2 could test at 1 and 2 hrs, just to see how their body handles various foods.
Then, after you have a good idea how our body handles various foods, testing 2 hrs after meals should be the mainstay of long term testing for the average person. What do you think?
Do you routinely test 1 hr after meals? As well as 2 hrs? Why do you think ?
What do you aim for 1 hr after testing (180/10? 160/8?)
What do you aim for 2 hrs after testing (180/10? 160/8? 140/7? 110/5.5?)
Michael.

I know it will be high after 1 hour so I don’t test then. But 2 hrs after meals is a good idea. I don’t do it routinely anymore, just if I’m not feeling right (usually running high).

I know it will be high after 1 hour so I don't test then.
??? The whole idea of testing is to catch the peak and see how high your bg was. And then, using that information, modify diet and/or exercise so that the peak will not be high. I urge you to try and test specifically to see how high your food makes you go...you should not be testing only when you know it will be okay because that defeats the whole rationale for testing.

Why would one not use this ability to test in a way that will be helpful in maintaining a complications-free life? All those people who have complications now because they did not have the testing methods we have now when they were young (e.g. urine tests, etc for glucose) would be absolutely bewildered to find out that people avoid testing because they know it will be high.

I test at different times postprandial to know what’s going on. Sometimes 1 or 2 or 3 hours.

Timing of insulin to match the peak is just as important as the dose.

I don’t think its a matter of avoiding testing bc they think it will be h they think is best for the massesigh.
I think the medical authorities have picked the “2 hrs” point as this is the timepoint they think is best for the “masses” “in the real world”.
But we are not all “masses” nor “sheep” at that.
Good point John !

Sorry, Typo, so I’ll post his again:

I don’t think its a matter of people avoiding testing bc they think that they will be high.
I think the medical authorities have picked the “2 hrs” point as the timepoint they think is best for the “masses”
“in the real world”.
But we are not all “masses” nor “sheep” at that!
Good point John !

Two hours is when most rapid acting insulin hits its highest peak, so the test at two hour guideline. If someone corrected a one hour high with more insulin, they’d risk going way low. But again, it really is about timing of insulin to an individual’s unique digestion.

Thanks Gerri.

Gerri, most foods give you a glucose peak around 1 hour after you begin eating. If you find that your bg peak is very high, you can time your insulin injections so that the peak insulin action coincides well with peak blood glucose. With good data keeping and practice, you can eliminate the bad highs altogether.

Yep, that’s what I said below, “Timing of insulin to match the peak is just as important as the dose.”

Yes, though I don’t use insulin, I test for my peak depending on the food I had… Generally, my peak hits at 75 minutes, and that is when I test… For other slower digesting meals, I do 2 hours, because that’s when I hit my peak… But I always, always test to know my peak, and thus, adjust diet/exercise, etc. It is of not much help to me, to miss the peak, by testing at the low point…

I plan for less than 140/7 at my peak… I usually never even hit 130, and sometimes I don’t even hit 120. I eat as many carbs as my meter will let me get away with – which are not much… but more than most low carbers… (And if anyone doubts I have Diabetes, give me 2 slices of regular pizza, and see me soar to 200 mg/dL. LOL)

Title of discussion" T2 s: Who thinks testing 1 hr after eating is important ? " …of course we can reply .

I am living with diabetes for over 27 years( not type 2 ) , initially without finger poking, without a pump , without CGMS , with peeing on stick , with exercise , with regular visits with my Health Team , with NPH , with not great A1C results , with carbs and NO complications . I am blessed .

The only time I test 30 minutes after a meal is when I go excercise after I eat dinner. My pancreas seem to have a tendency to dump enormous amounts of insulin during work out. I use it to make sure I am at a good number before I go and work out. Anything for me under 120 makes me go low during work outs. I tend to always workout 30 minutes after dinner. I try not to go too high but for me any number between 200 and 250 will come down in 20 minutes after working out to about 80. I am still trying to figure out what to eat during a workout so that I dont spike and come down so fast.

Nice Nel.
My mum has T2 for 25 years. No probs at all !
Although I have given her all the BIG advice she has just followed this:
Eat in moderation, eat correctly, be active (not lazy)
Like you, now, she is still in good health at 75!