Taking A Stand

I Just Took A Stand… Hooked Up My Dexcom & Decided After 2 Years Im Not Taking Percocets Anymore… Im Gonna Take Ibuprofin For The Pain… Yea Its Not Great But I Gotta Start Some Where Gotta Get My health In Order For My Little Man He Needs His Daddy! Ive Had A Broken Spine, Knee, Shin, Ribs & Shattered Wrist Along With TBI… If I Got Threw All That… Learn’t How To Speak, Walk, Eat And Everything I Can Kick This Habit… Granted Im Not Addicted To Them Ive Been Taking Them For 2 Years And Still Take 3 - 5mg Pills A Day Im Just In Alot Of Pain… Oh Well WISH ME LUCK!!!

Good for you! Very brave. I had fantastic pain management experience with accupuncture. ) (Neck, and back). I was a total skeptic, didnt see how paying someone to make me into a voo doo doll would help, but I have to tell you it changed my life. I didnt even know how many negative side effects the drugs were having until I stopped taking them. After about 6 months I no longer needed the therapy except for “overall health maintenance” Today i am pain free and free of pain meds! You’re a good Dad, I’ll be sending healing thoughts you’re way!

thank you very much! i am going to go to pain management soon i need a referral from my doctor… i was actually alittle skeptical to but now that you said you had a good experience im actually looking forward to it… THANK YOU!

Wish you lots of luck, Brian! You can do it! :slight_smile:

I just thought of something that might be interesting to you. I was listening to NPR the other day and author and chronic pain patient Melanie Thernstrom was speaking about her book ‘Pain Chronicles’ very interesting interview and I thought I’d pass it along. You can listen to the interview here: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129303029

PS
If the link didnt paste correctly- go to NPR.org and search Pain Chronicals

Good for you Brian. Be very careful if you choose to go cold turkey as you may get withdrawal and get very sick. You may have to gradually decrease the amount you are taking over time so you don’t get sick. It’s a horrible sick from what I have seen patients go through.

oh i know im going the alittle withdrawls but mentally not physically but the pain of course which was and will be there regardless… i just like the percocets cause being i have tbi i cant use my right leg great and i dont feel it flailing around as much… but ive been that way since its happened so i will have to get accustomed to it… but thats for the concern! oh and ive noticed my sugar levels just high no matter how much insulin i take… (within reason)

Dude good for you. I understand what you are going through when I was 18 I loved to rock climb and well my rope broke and down I went 15 feet. I had A head injury causing permant seizures ( now controlled with two meds ) my shoulder had to be reconstructed with 3 different surgeries 6 broken ribs 1 knee surgery and wrist surgery. I was so lucky this was 10 yrs ago and now I am off all meds except the seizure meds and for the most part pain free I went to pain management for a long while because the narcotics the ortho doc was perscribing were wiping me out ( I have no drug tolerance what so ever ) we worked it out and now besides the occasional winter pains and over use pains I am good and really glad to be off the other meds. So stay strong you will get through it and feel better because of it.

thanks alot! your story actually helps me alot for someone to know what its like to go threw something so traumatic… i mean dont get me wrong id rather of it not happened to you but then again id rather have not had this happen to me lol i was just a normal kid riding my bike home from the giants game (which they won btw :o) ) and the next thing i know is im in a hospital and it was like it was normal odd if you know what i mean you understand… like i didnt complain or cry or nothing i guess i just accepted it… even when i was in rehab for 3 months and could only see my family on weekends i accepted it… i guess like you said tho thank god for the age it happened at cause if it would have happened 5 years later i dont think i would have survived… wow it feels good to talk to someone about that!

Thank You! I will do my best thats for sure!

Ohh yeah know that feeling too woke up in the hospital the last thing I remembered was climbing the ledge. it is always comforting to have someone that understands. Like I said you will get through and it will only make you stronger! we are all here for you just leave me a message if you ever need to talk. and keep us updated on the progress. good luck my friend

Wishing you luck & success! You can do it.

You’ve been through so much.

Wanted to second T1Tambien’s suggestion about acupuncture. Been there & it helps a lot. One of my dogs gets acupuncture for her ruptured disks. She’s a new dog after her treatment. Can’t say that there’s a placebo effect with a dog.

I’m going to “third” the acupuncture suggestion. It’s great stuff. Better than putting something into your body that is going to mess up your neural pathways and put you into opiate withdrawal (but DO please tell your doctor you want help getting off the pain meds, because doing it alone is not good.) Just don’t be discouraged if you don’t get results right away, because its’ going to take time for the treatments to redirect your energy to a less painful place. And see my reply to your other post because I had some other suggestions for you.

Thanks… but yea ive gone cold turkey on the 2nd day now… granted i dont feel like superman anymore its better then being high all the time… i have never been addicted to them it varyied from 2 - mg to 3 pills a day which isnt alot at all considering ive been on them for 2 years… youd think i was taking more then 4 - 10mg a day lol i just never let myself get addicted i dont have a very addictive personality at all so other then the feeling of not being superman ive got it under control…

Just thought id update… im feeling veryyy weak been how should i say… pooping alot lol… chills and insomnia! but thats better then some of the withdrawal effects ive read… i just hope its over in a few days some people say it could take weeks!! sheshhh

sending good thoughts your way ohh and keep a cloe eye on you sugars I am sure those withdraws can mess with your numbers. and stay hydrated my friend.

Sending good vibes your way…

yea sugars are wayyy off i was running 200… now 290… but this wont be forever!

thank you :o)

BTW my sugar went to 340! i got it down to 280 now… not good :o(