Taking long acting insulin and immediately sleeping

Hello People,

I am new member here and i have one question. My fiancee who is a type 1 diabetic has this habit of taking insulin (long acting) in morning and then sleeping for 2-4 hours only on Sundays ( or any holidays).
My question is that does this have any dangerous impact on her blood sugar levels. Her HB1AC is 7

Thank You.

Regards,
Inderjot

Hi Inderjot,

In and of itself, no. Depending on which long acting insulin she's taking, you're looking at peak action starting right about the time she wakes up, give or take. Many of us will take our long acting, or used to take in my case since I'm on a pump now, before bedtime.

However, whether or not she will be in danger depends on other factors that will definitely interact with long acting insulin. So, while long acting insulin, itself, shouldn't pose undue danger if taken before a nap, it might add to an existing circumstance that could, so be sure to keep monitoring BG carefully.

Thanks a lot for your reply, will ask her to monitor her blood sugar carefully.

Is she a long-standing diabetic? And is this her usual practice? Is it Lantus that she takes every day at the same time, but on sundays she's able to sleep in, so she takes it and goes back to bed? If any or all of these are true, that seems totally reasonable. If it's Lantus or something similar, I wouldn't give it a second thought, especially if she's experienced with insulin. A lot of people take it either right before bed or first thing in the morning.

It's interesting to me that you keep tabs on what she's doing. I was dx'd about four years after my husband and I started living together and he's been watching me deal with it for 20 years now and I don't think he has any idea what I'm doing or when. I made him learn how to test my blood sugar for me during my first pregnancy in case I needed help while I was in labor or something, and that, nine years ago, was the last time he gave it a thought. He does wake me up in the middle of the night if I get too fidgety, though, which is probably a godsend.

Anyway, it's great to be supportive, but be careful. Years ago when it was all new to me I felt a little put out that he was so uninterested, but now I think I would be irritated if he tried to second guess me.

Firstly, thanks a lot for your reply. I was really worried but i feel your response should reduce my fears a bit :)
And to answer you....yes she is a long-standing diabetic and this is her usual practice..i mean taking insulin and sleeping immediately but only on Sundays; on remaining days, she is very active.Not sure whether she takes Lantus though

Just for your information, even i am type 1 diabetic, got detected 2 years back and i take all precautions possible. When my fiancee told me about this, i got worried and thought i need to find whether it has any impact on her health and thanks to you, now i have an answer :)

Holy cow, two type I's together! Did you guys meet through your diabetes somehow? The have only met a few type I's in my life, and two of those were before I was dx'd. The others have all been pump trainers or doctors.

Yes....we met because of our diabetes. In India, there is a diabetic matrimonial website, a group where all diabetics share their profile for marriage. It was very lucky for me as i could find her :)