Tandem X2 and Basal-IQ

I agree X2 and G6 work very well together.

1 Like

I will chime in and repeat what has been said.
The G6 works far better than the G5 did.
The G5 didnā€™t actually DO ANYTHING for the pump. It only let you see your information on the pump instead of a receiver.

1 Like

Are you speaking about connectivity only? I know the G6 is great for accuracy for some folks, but those with low BMI are having issues that Dexcom has readily admitted to me. In addition, those with higher BMIā€™s also have issues with the G6. Iā€™ve never read such diametrically opposed opinions regarding the G5.

Yes, connectivity is far better with the G6 than it was with the G5.
Accuracy wise, I think both work great for me. And I donā€™t have any complaints with the G6 other than it seems like it has a bigger first day variance than the G5 did. Soaking the sensor for a few hours (I like to do it overnight if possible,) seems to take most of this issue out of the equation.

As for BMI, I cannot get the G5 to work on my arms. I only really have body fat around my middle section. My arms and legs are lean, and do not work well for Dexcom for me.
I havenā€™t tried the G6 on my arms yet. I will try it sooner or later. I know the new inserter is super easy though. So that could make a difference.

I understand that there is way more functionality with the G6. My point remains.

There was the ability to use the Tandem pump basically as your CGM receiver if you have a G5. However, with them sending upgraded pumps to everyone in the US, that means Iā€™m walking around with my X2, my G5 transmitter, and my phone.

If I could have received an X2 with G5 compatible software, Iā€™d only have my phone and the pump itself because it would be double double duty as a transmitter. Itā€™s annoying because Iā€™m feeling pressure to upgrade faster than I would otherwise. I did get the X2 in anticipation that the FDA would approve the closed-loop upgrade. I planned to moving to the G6 then.

Itā€™s something I know I wonā€™t have to worry about when I finally upgrade. However, I have two G5 transmitters (just got a shipment), so thatā€™s going to be early- to mid- next year before I need to upgrade because my G5 supplies are gone.

They really should simply ask Dexcom users which system theyā€™re using, ship the right system, and also make it clear to people using the G5 not to upgrade because once they do, theyā€™re SOL. Theyā€™re shipping G5 compatible systems to Canada, so itā€™s not like they canā€™t do it here unless they have some agreement with Dexcom not to. However, since people on Medicare canā€™t even get G6 CGMs, they should have an option for them and others still using the G5.

My point is it would be nice to have my pump show me my CGM graph, and itā€™s frustrating because I know that basic functionality was there.

I may not explained myself well.
This is not about functionality.

The communication itself between the X2 and the G5 was extremely bad. It would constantly drop the signal. This was a problem with the Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) communication from a technical point of view. It was basically useless from a practical point of view.

As mentioned, the one outstanding thing that came out of that was significant improvement in the BLE communications between the X2 and the G6. That was a huge deal which has allowed the Basal-IQ algorithm to be the outstanding success it is.

1 Like

Ahhhh, okay, good to know.

Iā€™m still a weeeeeeee bit annoyed but know that they had spotty connections makes me feel a little bit better. I still think they should give G5 users the option of the older software especially for those who have no choice. Iā€™m not one of them, but as a G5 users, it would be nice to have that option.

Basically, when I drive, I put my transmitter next to me in the cup holder. Itā€™s set to alert me when Iā€™m low. Iā€™ve turned that off on my phone except when I hit a critical low. Otherwise, I have it in my purse and will hear or feel it vibrating to alert me to treat a low.

The transmitter is attached to sensor. Did you mean receiver?

1 Like

Yep. Thatā€™s what I mean. Thanks for the correction. Youā€™d think Iā€™d get it right as Iā€™ve been wearing a Dexcom now for years. :blush:

1 Like

I finally ditched my G5 receiver, and just use the app on my iPhone. The local Dexcom rep told me that is what she does, when I called to complain about carrying the pump, receiver, and phone. Looking forward to getting the G6 for those of us Medicare recipients, so the G6 can talk directly to the pump.

1 Like

Yeah. I know I can ditch the receiver. I keep it by my side for driving vs. trying to fumble and check when Iā€™m on the road. Granted, I also have an iWatch too. Clearly, I just want that info in as many spots as I can get it. If I could just have it on my pump, that would be great. Iā€™ll just have to wait.

I still think they should allow people with G5s to have the choice. Thatā€™s whatā€™s annoying.

Good day Regina and all, I have posted this before but I must reiterate one problem the Tandem X2 Basal IQ feature has. Just be mindful of the fact that when you activate the Basal IQ feature and you go below 70MG it will suspend insulin delivery which is great but once it starts to detect a slight increase in your glucose level it will resume.

Problem is for an example, when my glucose went down to 50Mg while I was sleep it did suspend delivery but it resumed delivery once it detected my glucose was rising at 51-52MG. Then went back down to 51MG and suspended but resumed delivery when it detected it was going back up! (Ping Ponging).

I never got back above 70MG for 3 1/2 hours while sleep and my wife woke me up because i was sweating a lot. I did not here the alarm but she heard it and thought it was just a normal sound as she hears my pump go off every so often.

Being that this is the second time this has happened to me I have discontinued using this feature and I want to shed some light on this issue that does not seem to be addressed properly and Tandem is smoke screening the issue as well.

1 Like

Not good. It sounds like you need to adjust your basal rate. Hopefully, youā€™ve communicated whatā€™s going on with your doctor.

I donā€™t have a G6 yet so no Basal-IQ for me. This is good to know. Hopefully, others have chimed in where you posted it before.

Because of what you wrote, I searched and found a post that compares both. It also says that the X2 will start up when it senses your glucose is going up.

This is where the two algorithms differ quite dramatically, with SmartGuard being significantly more conservative than the Basal-IQ equivalent.

Basal-IQ resumes insulin once the ā€œnadirā€ or low point, has been moved away from and it detects an upturn in glucose levels, whereas SmartGuard waits until glucose levels are at least 1.1mmol/l (20mg/dl) above the low threshold and you are estimated to be hitting double that level within 30 mins. I canā€™t find anything in the documentation that suggests that Basal-IQ wonā€™t resume if youā€™re still below 70mg/dl, so I assume it resumes anyway, as long as youā€™re ticking up. Iā€™m happy to be corrected if this is wrong.
http://www.diabettech.com/medtronic-640g/comparing-tandems-basal-iq-to-medtronics-smartguard-which-predictive-low-glucose-suspend-is-best/

That is scary if itā€™s keeping you that low, so I hope you get it sorted out. Iā€™d also contact Tandem because they should probably upgrade the functionality. Reads like theyā€™re trying to avoid the rebound issue, but if youā€™re being kept that low, well, thatā€™s a problem.

Everything you mentioned in remediating the issue has been done on my end. My Endo adjusted my Basal rate (increased it) during night time because of the high glucose spikes I encountered during night times.

My Endo felt reassured that if my glucose went too low it would suspend delivery but he as I guess Tandem did not take in consideration of having the delivery of insulin resume only when the users glucose gets above the 70MG mark.

Anyway, when you begin using the Tandem keep this in mind as I hope they can improve on the software one day. Good day.

1 Like

I definitely appreciate the heads up. Thanks a lot!

Ok, so without Basal-IQ, how are you overcoming these night time lows?

2 Likes

Good day Hammer, I will try to be brief.

As I have gotten older I have frequent unexplained Dawn Phenomenon episodes. So when Tandem updated the X2 with the Basal IQ, my Endo increased my Basal to combat the frequent episodes of highs which was working until those two low episodes when the Basal IQ would not allow my glucose to go above 70MG.

So now that I have discontinued the Basal IQ feature I am back to experiencing highs at night until I wake up to correct it. Iā€™d rather be high the low anyday.

1 Like

Can you explain why canceling basal-IQ causes highs? Did you go back to lower basal?

Good day MM1, please go up and read my previous posts. It should explain it.

I donā€™t think thereā€™s any ambiguity on the Basal-IQ algorithm. The training materials state clearly how it handles low blood sugar. Assuming it behaves otherwise is dangerous, as you experienced.

It is what it is and itā€™s clearly not working for you. Disabling it makes sense. Perhaps Control-IQ will behave more to you and your endoā€™s liking.

1 Like