Tandem X2 and Exercise Lows

Just started on the Tandem X2 and I weightlift…and I have lows….

If I eat a snack and go above 150 prior to working out, it auto-boluses and my exercise plus that create a low…

My personal profile that I use for exercise (because I have heard that exercise mode stinks…) is already 30% less basal than my normal dose.

This is quite frustrating because even that drastic of a reduction in basal is only good for slow-medium paced walks.

Do you all recommend turning your pump off completely for intense weightlifting?

Use sleep mode, it allows you to target a lower bg and also it won’t bolus. Some people use sleep mode all the time.

1 Like

Thank you, Timothy. So if I start at 110, have a snack that raises me to 150+, it then won’t bolus so I won’t have as severe of a plummet because there won’t be a bolus. But will basal increase?

Basal will increase somewhat on sleep mode.

1 Like

When I exercise I fast. I know it sounds crazy but when I fast my sugar stays level and I can go 3 hours of moderate to intense exercise before I start to move low.

1 Like

Everyone is different. For me, it depends on the type of exercise. For casual walking around a mall for a couple hours, if I go low I usually eat a small banana or some raisins.
When working out more strenuously, running on the tread mill for 60 min+ I turn off the insulin 1 to 1.5 before and leave it off. If I hit 100 I take a Hammer gel if I want to run more or do light weight training. I do not turn the insulin back on until I am at 110 0r 120 depending if I am walking home or not. I usually eat dinner right away. Maybe an apple first. I have been out of commission for a bit. So staring back I will see if I need to make an changes.

For light treadmill, I usually do a temp basal reduction depending on the status of my sugar at the time. I tried the exercise mode it does not work for me.

1 Like

For this profile you could make the correction factor really high. Like one unit of insulin to 120 (or whatever is high for you) so if it does give you a bolus because your blood sugar is rising it will be a really small bolus.