Tandem X2 Misc topics

I thought I insert manually the XC cleanly this morning but apparently it may be not. My BG is way high and I just gave myself an injection. Which leads to this. The syringe that comes with the Tandem supplies is in ml/cc measure, NOT in insulin units. Since I still had the clean syringe available I started to use it for the injection and it finally hit me I could not because it was not in units. What the heck! This makes no sense for the syringe not to have insulin unit markings on it.
Do all pump users measure their TDD in ml and not insulin units? Do you convert? I always fill my pump so I just auto filled my syringe without thinking.
But now I see this is just another crazy Tandem decision. How come this has not come up before? Or has it? Yes, most insulin is 100 u/per cc or ml. but how many T1Ds take 100 or exactly 50u (1.5 ml) insulin per day? I feel like I have landed in a foreign country. That was not one mentioned in any training video I have watched. And I have watched a lot.

My grammar was a little poor up there but my BG was 499 so I may have been a tad foggy. Had just come back from a walk with a friend so no wonder I felt tired! Itā€™s coming down and I inserted another XC. I used a plier to snap it back. Waiting to see if it went in properly this time. the other was bent when I removed it and it felt like it went in so well! If this next one is no good, it is back to my Medtronic until I get a different insertion thingie.

That syringe is for filling cartridge only, and not intended to be used for injections.

Once loaded to cartridge, the pump precisely injects the correct number of units, with ā€œmicro-deliveryā€.

2 Likes

Exactly what @MM1 said, but know you can still get traditional insulin syringes from the pharmacy, if you need them. I hope everyone keeps an emergency supply of them, just in case the apocalypse comes, or whatever other reason. My stash currently has about an inch of dust on it.

2 Likes

I had insulin syringes of course. But the syringe that Tandem sends should have unit markings on it, regardless. If not for injections, then for those who do not need a full cartridge, which I understand many do not. It is a disaster waiting to happen for anyone less cautious or observant or just not able to think in the moment. I know what the syringe is for. But, I still say it should be dually marked. I was a nurse. I know how many mistakes are made with properly marked syringes, let alone this for what we viewed as ā€œlay peopleā€ or those not health professional educated. You on this site are not the ā€œaverageā€ person with diabetes.

My contour finger sticks have been amazingly consistent with the cgm reading on the pump. After all my crazy BGs today and manual plus now pump insulin, it was just now 6 higher on the Contour meter. So that has been one thing working right with this pump switch but then my meter checks have always been fairly good with the dex cgm. Not this close this often but close enough.

There are markings, and you can fill as much as you want. But not in small precise amounts. I always fill to max, and run till empty. Others estimate 3 day usage and fill cartridge every 3 days per instructions, throwing out insulin after 3 days.

Assuming U100 insulin, the tandem syringe would deliver approximately 50 units if you load to the .5ml marking.
Fully loaded is 300 units.

Itā€™s an easy conversion to units, just multiply by 100. I usually fill a cartridge with 120 to 140u. Thatā€™s 1.2 to 1.4mm.

So far: I asked my Tandem rep for Vari Soft samples. She left 2 AutoSoft 30 samples for me. Another auto insertion weirdness with a strange gadget you have to do a few steps to get to work. What is it with all these multiple steps for Tandem infusion sets? Anyway, I finally got it inserted but my BG ran high and I could not bring it down.
I changed back to the previous site, & gave a manual insulin injection. Pulled the Autoā€¦30 but did not see anything wrong with the cannula. Go figure.

I have called Tandem company for Varisoft samples. I think they are sending 3 for the 3 I have trashed so far.
Really more than that but I didnā€™t keep count.
The tech messaged the team that is supposed to help you decide what infusion set to use but I donā€™t think there is one with Tandem that will work for me. I have tried the steel ones twice before with Medtronic. Donā€™t work for me.
And the shorted Varisoft cannula is 13 mm inside your tissue! a half inch. That seems long to me.

I just havenā€™t decided if I can deal with these insertion torture devices from now on. It will be some time next week before I get the latest samples.

Which sets did you use with Medtronic?

Most have corresponding Tandem equivalents, except Quicksets.

1 Like

Tech help called sooner than expected. She said that Tandem is aware of complaints about the infusion sets and is ā€œworking fastā€ to get a better option. But she, of course, could not give me a timeline.
MM1 the Vari Soft and Auto soft 30 are Tandem answers to quickset but those are angled insertions vs 90 degree with longer cannulas. She told me I would have fewer kinks with angle insert but ā€¦I only know that she said that, not that itā€™s true and I donā€™t get many kinks.

Iā€™m not sure how to reply to emails that come to my email address but donā€™t have an email I can reply to but donā€™t show up here. Iā€™m kinda techie but only with my volunteer intranet!
Two points: To respond to one person, I have to agree. A lot of the volunteers in my organization can afford to upgrade software. Here, that may not be the case or it may be that folks just donā€™t want to spend the big bucks to fix something that is not ā€˜brokeā€™ anywhere else.
2. My ongoing saga. I brushed a hand lighlty down the side of my abdomen with the XL insert and out it popped. That would not have happened with a quickset. So another wasted insertion set just to get a new cannula inserted. I kept the filled tubing from previous one. I hope today or tomorrow I get the sample sets I am awaiting. Have used almost a box of the infusion sets I have so far, but not as many syringes or cartridges. At least I have learned to use my pliers to c-o-c-k the XL thing to insert it.

Assume you mean the Tandem Autosoft XC infusion sets, which is what I use.
I have not pulled out any sets, but if Iā€™m going to be more active, I usually add tape to secure better. Have used for over 2 years without issue.

But I still always carry extra sets whenever I leave home, just in case.

You are removing the paper from the adhesive pad? Mine stick so well that itā€™s a pain to remove them. One other thing, I was given some sample TruSteel sets by the Tandem trainer. They had been in the trunk of her car. It seems the temperature changes made them less sticky.

yes, I am removing the paper. That is a production in itself! the curly thing plus the pull offs like quick set. Yep, sure am. And I use IV prep on my skin to clean it and then let it dry. I have been at this since about 2000, the pump part. T1 about 39 years. Iā€™m far from perfect as I am not ocd in the tiniest bit but I do try to follow procedure!! ha! But I had a peanut butter and cracker lunch at 2 pm if you get my drift.

1 Like

What about the possibility the sets are old?

Have you tried NOT using IV prep? Itā€™s possible itā€™s reacting unfavorably with the adhesive already on the set.

They changed the adhesive on the Tandem sets about a year ago, and now I find them darned near impossible to remove. As in, Iā€™m frustrated I have to soak them in a commercial product so as not to peel my skin off with the set. (Currently using mirabalm)

I was using IV prep under my Dexcom sensors for a while, until I realized it actually made adhesion WORSE.

1 Like

Good question. I checked the box and it says Nov 2024.
I must have hit it, even lightly, at just the wrong angle.
Have to be more careful with these.

Did your hand hand get caught on the tubing and then pull out set, or did your hand hit the XC portion?

If tubing, I have solved this by putting adhesive tape on tubing, about 1 inch from infusion set.

Do you follow all these steps to secure adhesive?

CAUTION: Before positioning AutoSoft XC over clean insertion site, place the tubing in the slot to ensure that the tubing is not caught underneath the device during insertion.

1. INSERT AUTOSOFT XC: Position AutoSoft XC over the insertion site. Simultaneously press the round indentations on both sides of the insertion device to insert AutoSoft XC.
  2. Push gently on the center of the inserter to secure the adhesive on the skin.
  3. Remove the inserter/introducer needle by grasping the center and pulling it gently back. Massage the tape thoroughly onto the skin. Fill the empty space in the cannula with the following amount of insulin:

It was inserted properly. I watch a good video each time, frame by frame. I did not catch my hand on the tubing. I think it was just a fluke. I suspect the flat of my hand brushed the plastic part that lays a bit above the skin on the tape and that popped it out. It is just one of those things that happens. At least I have not gotten the tube caught on a door knob since the early 2000s! Knock on wood.