Testing glucose at locker at school

Should my daughter be able to test at her locker in middle school? Bridget is just starting sixth grade and she did not want to go to the nurse so many times. I know she needs to go to the nurse for her insulin shot at lunch. Any other advise for me to help Bridget with just starting middle school and diabetes? (dx date 12/21/2009) Thanks… :}

What’s written in her 504 plan?

I’ve not written her 504 plan yet. I just was wondering what every one else does usually. Thanks

When I was in middle school I was able to check my blood sugar wherever I wanted…in class, by my locker, in the lunchroom. I always had my kit with me in case of emergencies. There is a lot of good information on schools and diabetes from the DRI, JDRF and ADA. I would check out their sites and recommendations as well.

Good luck!

My experience in school dates back nearly 30 years… but at the time it was kind of a “don’t ask don’t tell” policy with regards to my diabetes. As long as nobody noticed or complained, I was allowed to test outside the nurse’s room.

With all sorts of official policies regarding sharps and blood, doing this in a more open fashion may not be possible unless someone in the school administration wants to stand up for her. That’ll take some guts.

I teach 7th grade and have had many students with many solutions. I personally walk over to my desk and test when I need to – I can’t leave the kiddos and its a real distraction to leave and get another teacher. The kids barely notice - I just keep teaching. I explain at the beginning of the year what’s up and they often will go to get my kit for me or to the fridge for juice. I have kids who are comfortable going to my desk and testing there. I also have kids who just step out into the hall. I keep a desk out there so they can sit and test and come right back in. I have also sent the kid down the hall three doors to a teacher workroom – its empty during class periods, has several cubicles for making phone calls and so they have privacy. I really hate sending them to the bathroom. They are welcome to go down to the nurse’s office but we only have a nurse a few hours a day and its on a different floor so it does eat up time. I can’t imagine testing at her locker - pretty awkward. And my kids are not physically near their lockers all that often. They have classes all over the building.

Its all about comfort zone and absolutely least amount of time missing class (so says the teacher!)

In the 504 be sure they are allowed to carry what they need/equipment, snacks, etc. Have a procedure so she can excuse herself from class with as little fuss as possible. If she has to stop, get permission, write a pass – its silly. My kids have a “golden ticket”. They get up and go and come back without taking alot of time. They can take a friend with them if they feel shaky (I always insist but some teachers are hinky about it) to walk to the office. If the building is spread out ask about communication - our building is ancient and does not have room phones so we all carry our own cells so we can call the office for assistance and we have a walkie talkie plan. Just think through her day and what she might need. Remember you know your child best.

You can also talk to the teachers. Offer them training - a handout of symptoms to look for - how to use a glucagon syringe - whatever you are concerned about. Just find out how comfortable they are. They can be a wonderful support. They know about the daily schedule and where you need to intervene with instructions. Definitely talk to the teacher who has her after lunch or after gym class (extra exercise) when she might need to go test. Most of my 7th graders are pretty independent but I like to let them know I’m there, I know and my refrigerator is their refrigerator.

Good Luck! I’m sure she’ll have a great year - She will be just fine!

My daughter tests where ever she is when she feels the needs. She, too, will be starting MS this year.

The best practice suggested by the NIH and CDC is let her test where she is. Here is a link to an outstanding piece they put together on diabetes and schools: http://ndep.nih.gov/media/youth_schoolguide.pdf

This is a great resource and it helps put the conversation with the school into the context of what medical best practices are. helps make you look less like a crazy parent asking for the moon and stars.

page 16 says in part:
"It is extremely important for students to be able to check their blood glucose levels and respond to levels that are too high or too low as quickly as possible. Accordingly, if recommended by the student’s physician, it is medically preferable to permit students to check their blood glucose level and respond to the results in the classroom, at any other campus location, or at any school activity. Taking immediate action is important so that the symptoms don’t get worse and the student doesn’t miss time in the classroom.

Blood glucose monitoring does not present a danger to other students or staff members when there is a plan for proper disposal of lancets and other materials that come into contact with blood. The family and the school should agree on the plan, which should be consistent with standard Universal Precautions and local waste- disposal laws."

I’d definitley encourage her to test where ever and when ever she needs to, who wants to go wandering around school when you’re low? what happens if she has a bad low and passes out whilst trying to get to where her meter is?

i’ve always wondered why it is that in america everone has to go to the nurse to shoot up?
here in australia everone in school (at least those old enough to do it themselves) just shoots up when and where they need to. Having to go out of your way to test or inject only makes life harder for those who already dont have it easy, and makes it seem even less 'normal. I’m fairly sure our right to inject anywhere we need to is protected by federal law, and our right to test when and where we want certainly is.

awesome website for everyone. Definitely look at it before writing your 504.

Thanks for all your information on this. I appreciate it all… :slight_smile: