The c-peptide story

Type-2’s will have enough insulin being produced but the insulin receptors on the cells cannot accept the insulin. At the same time insulin is produced, C-Peptides are also produced. Therefore in type-2’s you will find plenty of C-Peps but the insulin comes to a closed door and drugs have to be taken to open the doors, (the keys). Type-1’s don’t produce insulin and C-Peps will therefore be low, indicating type-1 diabetes. See below.
The amount of C-peptide in the blood can indicate the presence or absence of disease. For example, abnormally low amounts of C-peptide in the blood suggest the insulin production is too low (or absent) because of type I, also known as juvenile or insulin-dependent diabetes. Abnormally high amounts of C-peptide warn of the possible presence of a tumor called an insulinoma that secretes insulin.
Normal levels of C-peptide may signal that all is well. However, in a person with diabetes, a normal level of C-peptide indicates the body is making plenty of insulin but the body is just not responding properly to it. This is the hallmark of (adult insulin-resistant diabetes). C-peptide, therefore, plays a crucial diagnostic role as regards insulin.
Insulin is a hormone that regulates the body’s use of glucose. Muscle cells and other types of cells need glucose to generate energy. The body manufactures glucose from food, mainly carbohydrates. It is the job of insulin to deliver glucose to an energy-consuming body site. There it knocks on the front door and places the glucose into the hands of the occupant. The occupant then uses the glucose to help its master – the body – walk, run, throw, lift, and carry out other activities. Football players, mountain climbers and lumberjacks all thrive on the energy glucose provides. Insulin also prevents glucose overload in the bloodstream by lowering the level of blood glucose as necessary. Insulin is released by cells in the pancreas called the islets of Langerhans. JB.

hi johnben. i was told because of my c peptide i was not ‘eligible’ to get my pump supplies. i’m a type 1 diabetic and have been for many years. i take humalog (pump) and 40 units of lantus daily. i suppose i will just start injecting the humalog since i cannot get pump supplies. it’s all a big hamster wheel that just keeps going 'round and 'round! i feel like jumping off! i do not understand the c peptide thing and now must wait 'til my next endo appt to see what the deal is. the notice i received in the mail refers to labs done 02-05-07, which really makes no sense. now i’m worried about this c peptide thing.

How do the C-Peptides work in TYpe LADA 1.5 diabetic. Just curious.

the same as a type 1 ,they both have no or too little insulin,they both have little or no C-peptide that goes with the insulin.

can you tell us what’s your C-peptide level,maybe they Dx as a type 2 ?
don’t worry,there are others in this world who have no pump even though they’re working hard like me XD

Excellent post! I’m doing my graduate work on C-peptide!
For those who do not understand, when insulin is synthesized by the Islets of Langerhans, it is a long string, and that string has different sections… think about an A, B, C, and D section…
Now for the insulin to actually becomes “active”, there are other molecules and structures in the body which cleave (cut) the string of insulin into an active form, basically just leaving the B and A pieces of the string (they are the portions which do the fun part of letting glucose into cells). The C and D portions are left out (but we don’t hear much about D). Therefore, the real role of C-peptide is still being studied, but as Johnben pointed out, it is important to diagnose Type 1 vs Type 2.
Hope this helps people understand a little more about C-peptide. thanks Johnben.

saya, i’m a type 1 (since age 10) and havent always used a pump, normally i use a syringe so i wont die without a pump… :0