The Downside to Weight Loss

Warning: If reading about sagging female body parts offends you, do not read this post…just need to vent.

Since my dx in April, I’ve lost about 40 pounds and an additional 20 prior to dx. I am well aware of the benefits (not to mention I look a lot better in my new clothes). The downside is that I don’t look better with my clothes off. When I was fat, I was fat with or without clothes. Now, I look so different with clothes than without clothes it continues to disorientate me. Flat sagging breasts…without a bra (never a serious consideration) they would hang out the bottom of my shirt. I know this visual will make some of you cringe, but I am hoping it will make most laugh…because if it wasn’t my body that I’m looking at in the mirror, I would find it hilarious (think about the cartoons of the old lady with breasts down to her knees). When I was fat it didn’t bother me to wear a swimming suit to the pool or lake…now I am very aware of the loose, sagging flabby skin on my legs…I hate it.
OK…I know…in the larger scheme of things these thoughts might seem a bit frivolous. As I said I am well aware of the benefits… thin (i.e. healthy) is better than fat and I am happy that I lost the weight. As a matter of fact, we have made so many changes in our life-style since my dx my whole family has benefited… I just didn’t count on the weight loss making me so self-conscious.
Well…this was my first blog post and I hope it didn’t turn too many people off. My apologies to all that may have been offended…although, I am sure many can relate.

Congrats on the weight loss! I understand what you are saying. I have lost 70 pounds since I started taking care of my D properly again. I look great in my new clothes but I also lost some assets I didn’t want to lose. I lost 2 cup sizes with my bras alone! It is definitely the downside to weight loss that the docs often don’t think about. It took me time to get use to this new body, hopefully that will happen for you. Ultimately you are fabulous, loose skin and all and don’t forget it!

congats on the weight loss! YOu know, I’ve lost 20 or so lbs and I’ve thought about the sagging and such if I keep losing. I completely understand! I’d feel the same way. I don’t know what my body will look like when I lose another 20 but I may need to start saving for my surgery to remove that sagging skin!LOL

Loved the warning at the beginning of your blog. Thanks for telling it like it is! I think you look great. OK, I’ve never seen you. But I still think you look great. As does your A1C. Time for some Spanx!

Having been there (90 lb) and sadly gained half of it back… I suggest compressive clothing where possible – like Kelly says, Spanx.

Just another thought - keep finding support! Most folks who haven’t been there (particularly your doc and endo!) will act as if you’re being totally ridiculous to think of such “vain” issues… BS! LOTS of things change with weight loss - friendships, family dynamics, appearance (good and bad) and self-concept… Yes, I assume the good outweighs the bad, but if you don’t take time to think through and process ALL your feelings, you may find yourself sabotaging your progress due to unresolved fears and concerns.

I’ve only lost about 45 (and still have 100 to go) but have been really struggling with the self-sabotage thing for years. Apparently, I have fears about losing the weight - it seems that when people start to notice - and offer me compliments - I run directly to the nearest KFC. grin Well, not literally, I’m more of a pizza/pasta girl, but I’m sure you get my point.

Surround yourself with people who have some concept of what you’re going through… insofar as possible! I’d be happy to be one of them!

Congrats!

Hey everyone…thanks for the encouragement. Congrats to everyone on the weight loss. Between us it is almost 300 pounds discarded (not exactly lost since we don’t want to go out and find it). I never thought that I would ever, ever consider plastic surgery…now…well maybe. Just kidding no $.
Suzanne, I am two cup sizes smaller also. It is nice to be able to see places on my body that I haven’t seen in years.
R.L. Keep up all the changes you’ve made. You are not on a diet…you are the road to health!
As always Kelly…your kind and witty words of encouragement are always helpful.
Tmana, Over the last 20 years, I cannot tell you how often I lost and found the same 10 pounds over and over again. In all total it must be well over 200 pounds. 90 pounds is quite an accomplishment…for that matter…45 pounds is quite an accomplishment. I’ve read many of your posts and they are filled with wisdom and passion. If it is at all possible, I have faith you will discard those pounds again.
Well Melissa, too many hot buttons pushed to reply about without some more consideration. Except…what do you mean “only” 45 pounds, WAY TO GO, keep up the good work.

Yes, I am still riding the bike every day. I don’t expect to stop anytime soon. I am now at the point where I need to stop losing weight without increasing my BS.