The medal boy!

Many T1 diabetics do not have the proof of the date of diagnosis, after 50 years have passed. hospitals will noy have kept records for that long. The hospital that admitted me in 1945 keeps records for only 10 years. When I applied for my medal in 2009, I had been T1 for 63 years. My parents had died and I had no proof. The staff at Joslin told me that I could have 2 or 3 people who knew me well back then, write a letter telling what they remembered about my diabetes after my diagnosis. My sister and a cousin wrote letters, and I submitted them along with my application. I received my medal shortly thereafter. I helped John Ben apply for his medal, and he had friends or relatives write letters for him.

Thanks for the info Richard! Of course, if you are diabetic, you have to have everything logged, recorded, submitted, reviewed, etc.! LOL!

Thanks Richard, I have the problem verifying my diagnosed date. My 2 year old sister was the only one of my family that went to the hospital with D and we got her records from 1960 just this week. I was diagnosed shortly after and then my other sister a few months after me, but since the whole family was already taking care of my toddler sister we knew what to do. Our family doc just came to the house (doctors used to make house calls) and said “my last blood test showed I was D too, just start me on the same insulin, meals, and urine testing routines”. I never even missed a day of school.

And especially congratulations to you Johnben,
and you too Richard for your many insites and experience,
Franco

Hurrah! Congrats!

I have started a series of my expiences with 50-years of the struggle with diabetes. It was particularly tough before the glucose monitor came along. I will tell you about that also.

JB.

Congratuation Johnben. Seeing that is really an inspiration to those of us who are recently dx and still living day to day and just concentrating on making it to one year, no less 5 or 10 years. I’ve enjoyed reading your blog and hopefully you will find the time again. I think stories like yours make great autobiographies.

Johnben, Glad to have you in our club. From another old timer!!!

A very big Congratulation JB, all the best.