The one-year Loop milestone, how did it perform?

That is correct. No radio bridge needed. You download the AndroidAPS files from Github to a Windows (or Mac if you prefer) laptop or PC. You need to install Android Studio onto the PC/Mac. Android Studio will build the Android APK file (effectively the exe file for the app). You then just copy the apk file to your Android phone and select it from files. The AndroidAPS app then installs itself on your phone and is ready to configure and run.

It’s pretty straightforward really. You just need an Android phone with AAPS and Xdrip+ installed plus a DanaR pump to run a closed loop. The DanaR pump is controlled via Bluetooth from the phone.

I’m leaving now — will post more tomorrow.

2 Likes

Have you seen this?

I’ve been away on vacation for the last few weeks and I’m just catching up on the reading I missed. It seems D-industry players are being prompted toward collaboration and away from proprietary concealment.

1 Like

I am hoping that the DanaR will be approved in the US quickly, and soon! Spoke with my endo’s office about this last month and the CDE was aware of this pump and very excited about it – AND, I have an endo that is an “early adopter” of technologies/medications – so they’ll be al over it when it’s available! Will be watching this closely!

The DanaR pump, once approved in the US, will occupy the enviable position of being new and covered by a warranty. This pump may be the DIY open source bridge to get us a more robust commercial closed loop system in the future, like systems from Beta Bionics and Bigfoot.

2 Likes

It will actually be the new model (DanaRS) that SOOIL will be seeking approval for. This is basically an upgrade on the current model R but with improved BLE4 low energy comms (so faster and better battery life) and a nicer UI (not relevant if you are controlling it remotely). More importantly perhaps it will be controllable from an iPhone as well as from an Android phone. This opens the possibility (?likelihood) that the Loop developers will build Bluetooth comms into Loop allowing users to run it on a new in-warranty pump without the need for a radio bridge and almost certainly more reliably.

I have actually chosen to go with the model R because waiting for the RS to go through local funding approval would probably add a significant delay.

Exactly. The Korean pump manufacturer SOOIL has in fact embraced the possibility of using their pump with DIY closed-loop systems. In DanaRS development, they’ve consulted with Milos Kozak, the main AndroidAPS developer. At the ADA Scientific Session this year, a SOOIL representative wore a T-shirt with AndroidAPS, Nightscout and #wearenotwaiting logos :slight_smile: They are showing to other pump manufacturers how things should be done - lets hope they succeed and secure regulatory approvals everywhere.

Please keep us posted on your experience with the Dana insulin pump. There might be one in my future, too. Did you know that this South Korean company, SOOIL, has been making insulin pumps since the early '80’s? Their mission statement makes me smile: “SOOIL has a mission to deliver joy to people with diabetes!”

2 Likes

Here’s some screenshots from Open Looping (using a virtual pump and inputting the recommendations manually into the Vibe).

cb1objective

3 Likes

@Terry4, I am impressed, but somewhat stressed. I am using the MM630 and the Dexcom G5, and my graph is not nearly as good as yours. My insurance will not cover the MM670. The Dex G5 is the only CGM it will cover. I am ok with that, but it sure would be nice to use a closed loop system.
Congratulations with your results!!

Thank-you for your kind remarks, @Richard157 . We all play a different version of this thing we call diabetes. No need to make comparisons unless you’re comparing yourself to yourself.

I’m glad to read you have access to the Dex G5. I’m hoping you will gain access to a closed loop technology in the not-too-distant future. It does ease the burden some. Good to hear from you!

1 Like

Good Morning Terry and all of you who have made this change.
I went to the TCOYD conference here in San Diego yesterday. Artificial Pancreas was a session and they had 2 people talking about hacking and doing what you all have done. And of course the warning that it is not approved, but as you have shared, wow the numbers are great.
My concern is for those of us who can’t even deal with a smart phone/computer, I was a little unnerved by even thinking of trying something like this. But one of the gentleman said when he did it way back when, it took three weekends, but he said he just did it again with all the sites on the internet and it took 15 minutes. So than I thought maybe I could do it.
But when I got home, the MiniMed pump I have at home is a 508, which i’m guessing is way to old and won’t work.
So unless I can find a pump like everyone else that would work and the computer skills to pull it off, not going to happen until the commercial ones come on line. And that is looking like 2019 to 2020.
It is so cool that the smart people who live for this kind of stuff are helping us not having to wait and be held hostage by insurance companies and major corporations. Very happy to continue to see your great numbers and maybe I can find a pump out there. Keep it up! Love following your story, even if I don’t understand most of it.

It’s important that anyone considering a closed loop DIY system need to enter any possible effort with their eyes wide open. Each person that constructs a system for themselves or a loved one does so accepting the the full responsibility, legal and otherwise, for their actions.

Having said that, I believe for me and many others, that the risk I shouldered using insulin with current commercial pumps was likely higher than the current risk I’m taking now using a DIY system.

Having a background in technical things is not the most important predictor of success in putting together an open-source DIY system. Rather, the ability to follow written instructions combined with persistence are the two most important characteristics of those who successfully build.

The Facebook closed group, Looped, is a great resource. You may gain access with a simple request to join.

Here are the instructions for the three different types of automated insulin dosing systems as posted on the Loop Facebook group:

Loop - LoopDocs
OpenAPS - Welcome to OpenAPS’s documentation! — OpenAPS 0.0.0 documentation
AndroidAPS - https://github.com/MilosKozak/AndroidAPS/wiki

Thanks for the TCOYD report from San Diego. Seems like you guys enjoy being the site of many D-meetings!

3 Likes

Yes, I do feel very fortunate to live here not because of the weather (which is great!) but the fact that it is a hot bed of diabetes everything. Support groups, pumpers groups, many research groups & universities, clinics etc. A lot happening here.
So, I am at work & can’t get a signal but do you know if my MiniMed 508 would work? Just don’t want to even think about if the pump I have will not work. Thanks for your help. And again love seeing the success you and many others are having. Please keep us posted.

No, the MM508 will not work. I had a 506 and 511 that didn’t make the cut either.

This is the Loop compatibility chart.

Here’s the OpenAPS info:

There are a lot of these pumps gathering dust in a drawer somewhere. I’ve been on pumps since 1987 and have not thrown away any pumps. They are listed on eBay, Craigslist, and Facebook forums. I found one in a pay it forward FB community. People are often willing to trade for other D-supplies.

This is confusing as hell. Is an admin advocating the buying of used prescription items on eBay?

I thought mentioning that was frowned on. I can think of one thread in particular last February.

I don’t think anyone is advocating buying prescription items from secondary sources but the reality is many of us do. Especially when insurance isn’t very helpful. And while I do all my supplies through insurance and they have paid for all my pumps over the years, if someone could use my old one, sure i’d Give it up. And I think that is what many of these people are doing.
And yes, I have a couple co workers who have family members using Medtronic and I will be asking if they have one of these laying around.
And yes, someone who knows nothing about computers and I read the above posts and have no idea what anyone is talking about, I would love to give it a try and see if for the first time in my 47 years have some kind of “control” over my blood sugars.
So all you smart computer people, if I can find one, i’m In on trying. It can’t be any worse than what i’m doing now.

1 Like

As long as our members do not provide medical advice, sell or buy anything through here, we do not have any issues.

Also, Terry is sharing his experience, NOT inviting others to do the same.

There is a basic reason we do not allow this. It is illegal. Even eBay prohibits the sale of these items.

It is also important to understand that the sale of items that have been paid for by insurance further exposes one to charges of fraud.

We would urge you to follow laws and be careful about the consequences of exchange, sale or gifting of prescription items.

So you are telling me that Diabetes Daily, Beyond Type 1, Diatribe, Diabetes Mine, TuDiabetes, etc need to remove the posts with members experiences and keep that topic as taboo? We can’t prevent pwd’s to use their knowledge for better diabetes management.

We are not selling anything, and prohibit sales, exchanges or giftings of prescription items in our community, but we can not control what people do on their own.

And by the way, your friends should also delete this, because as YOU said it is illegal! :scream:Loop: Getting Started - Tipwiki - FUDiabetes