The Pump - Weight gain and fashion infamous truths and myths

Dear Joe.

This is great loosing so much weight and much better A1c. The only problem I worry about is where to tape it at night? On the forehead? Since I dont sleep well and toss and turn. Moreover I am having problem with temperature control going from freezing cold to hot and sweaty, so I have to vary the amount of clothes from nothing to a lot on the go. This temperature control problem is not usually related to a low or highs. Any thoughts?

Also we do not have medical insurance so what are the capital and operating costsof the machine?

I didn’t know there were Type 1s that didn’t have DP.

Joe: Thanx! I have been hearing MDI and DP without knowing what it meant. Now that I am on the pump and decreased my early morning insulin, I am absolutely avoiding some of the DPs I was getting. I LOVE the pump but I am also not sure of how I am going to afford the DME cost each month since Medicare pays so little of it and I have to file a claim with my secondary insurance. I guess I just need a big chunk of cash to start out with and then hope that Anthem
Blue will cover more. Sorry for bitchin’ but I just have to let it out. I’m having one of those days that seem to swing from one end of the spectrum to the other in just minutes. :frowning: Lois

Oneless: Thank you for trying the explain. I guess that I am still confused because my insulin-to-carb rate doesn’t change. It’s 50:1 correction and 7:1 for a meal. I didn’t know that the rate programmed in my pump needed to change. I have an appointment with my endocrinologist coming up the next two or so week, so I guess I’m going to pick his brain. I thought I had it down pretty good … expect when I get a shot of steroids and my numbers go nerts!! Talk to you soon, I hope. Lois La Rose

Anthony: Hi. I don’t want to be discouraging, but unless you can find some sort of public assistance or a private foundation to cover the costs, I wouldn’t get my hopes up. It is EXPENSIVE even if you do have Medicare and/or a secondary or other insurance to go toward costs. Do you have a social worker? Maybe they could check into that. Also, check with the manufacturer and see if they can’t do some sort of scholarship due to hardship. Just smear dirt on your face and look downcast! (JUST KIDDING!) Lois La Rose.