The pump

CAN ANYONE TELL ME THEIR FEELINGS ON WEARING A PUMP. MY DAUGHTER IS THINKING OF IT.

It makes it very hard to read sentences written in all CAPS. You may consider writing sentences in all small letters if you wish as that is easier to read than all CAPS.

I have been wearing a pump for 2 months now. It has been the best thing I’ve done to take control of my blood glucose readings. After going on the pump the number of high and low readings have reduced drastically and I spend a significant amount of time in the normal 80-120 mg/dL range.

If your insurance covers it I would urge your daughter to go on the pump. There are many choices but the best value for money is from the Minimed or Animas pumps compared to the Omnipod pump.

Thank you John, I know a lot of people are on it but her Doctor doesn’t recommend it. He says they may have power failures. I am trying to find out how it feels for the needle to be part of your body and wearing the pump.
She was diagnosed at 4, now 16, and has been on different insulins. Now she is on Lantis and Novolog and she likes to sleep in in the morning which is great for her. Are you an older person or younger?

Power failures? I don’t even know what your doctor means by that!

There is a soft plastic cannula which stays under the skin and delivers insulin from the pump - no needle (unless, of course, you use the Sure-T infusion set. Dave is the expert in this and he should be able to tell you how it feels to use that.). There are plenty of kids who are wearing a pump and experiencing a very good lifestyle because of it.

I think you should switch to a different doctor if your current doctor is unwilling to put your daughter on the pump.

Thank you John. I now know a little bit more.

how does it feel to wear it? is there a needle involved?

Thank you Dave for all of your help. We will look into it.

I can guess two reasons your doctor might mention “power failures”.

1. Sometimes the batteries die. However, you have plenty of warning and, in most (all?) pumps, you just need a AAA battery; you can use rechargeable batteries. This was never a problem for me when I was on the pump.
  2. Sometimes the pump won’t be inserted correctly, and a user won’t realize it, so insulin does not pump correctly. This will cause your blood sugars to go quite high, and, if you keep telling the pump to give you insulin to correct it, they will continue to go up, until you realize what is wrong. This does not happen very often and is easy to fix, once you realize what is wrong.

Most doctors recommend the pump to diabetics, so I cannot quite understand why your doctor wouldn’t.

As to pain, once the pump is inserted, it never bothered me. (Well, that’s not quite true; every once in a while, I would hit a bad spot, and it would really hurt, but the same thing happens with a syringe.) It doesn’t hurt much to insert. It can be annoying to have a tube stuck to you, but I would not worry about the pain.

I have to say after having diabetes for more then 20+ yrs. that a pump is EXCELLANT for a diabetic but its very important that she keeps up with it. I have had one on and off for 10 yrs. Was 17 when I got my first pump and only kept it for a couple yrs. didn’t like having my “life line reminder” attached to me everyday all the time. But now several yrs later glad I chenged my mind.

I would say that she is ready for a pump. I feel she will like
the extra freedom she will have with the pump. I would recommend
a new doctor who is more familiar with a pump and can assist your daughter
better. Sometimes classes are given at a clinic or hospital about using
a pump. I attended a class and found it very helpful. Get a DVD from a pump
company and let her watch. At 16 I would say she is ready for the change.

I sue the Sure-T’s infusion sets and I have found them to be more comfortable than the teflon cannula ones. I have been pumping for about 2.5 months, and I would never want to go back to injections. I have gained much more freedom while on the pump. I don’t have to eat if I really don’t want to. And when those rare times come up that I can sleep in, I can with little worries. It does take work, but doesn’t diabetes? You have to be motivated to change your own settings if need be. It is a great tool that has allowed me much better control. I now have a standard deviation of 20 on the average, which is great!

Hello,
I’ve been on a pump for two months and love it. 20 years of injections. I have a paradigm 722. My past doctor said that I wasn’t bad enough. How bad must one be to take corrective action? He is history now.

The pump does all the calculations for you. If you take your blood readings often the better. If your reading is high, you can punch a couple of buttons and the pump will compensate. Sometimes you just cannot do that with a syringe.

Go for it. You can always go back. Most everyone will not go back.

Sid

It is life made easier!! better A1C numbers too.

we like omnipod

I love my omni pod and wouldn’t change it for the world. It makes things SOOOO much easier and its a little less stress!!! Teenagers/young adults don’t always have the same exact schedule everyday and a pump allows you to have a more flexible life style… No more waiting 4 hours between injections… If you already ate and you decide you want ice cream with your friends a few hours later… no problem!!! Let me know if you need any other information

I’ve been using insulin pumps for the last 15+ years. Best thing I ever did to improve control, daily vaiations that I couldn’t avoid can be handled so much better with a pump.
The Teflon cannulas are a lot better IMHO. There are different kinds of them though, and the best I’ve found are sold under several names, though the same company makes all of them. They’re kown as Silhoettes, Comforts, or Tenders and work best because the canula goes out the side of the base which is taped to the skin on the abdomen, so it can flex when you move. Earlier versions, some of which are still being sold, put the canula stright in pushed down by the base. This can kink a whole lot easer since the teflon may pull partway out when the skin bulges out in motion, catch when it tries to go back into position, and fold up in the skin. Even though the canula is bigger than steel needles it flexes as needed for any motion. I’ve always thought that made more sense than having a steel needle in the skin for days on end, but that’s just me.
Also, as has been said you should find a doctor who not only favors umps but kow how to work them. I found my endo hadn’t started any new pumpers yet in his practice, though he’d inherited a few that moved into town. So I taught him how to teach me. Of course I had also taught his father how to treat my Type 1 diabetes some 24 years before…

The pump is quite simply the single best thing I have ever done for my health, without exception. If the doc says it’s a bad idea simply because of “power failures” then you most definitely need a new doc. That comment is practically absurd on his part.
As Anna said, those are the only possibilities for “power failure” I can think of. Batteries are easily replaceable and a bad insertion leading to a “no delivery” alarm is fixable. With a little common sense (i.e. check battery power periodically, never start a new set before going to bed, test your blood sugar after the new set) your daughter you should not have any problems with "power failures."
Sometimes, some pumps do malfunction but that’s why all pumpers need a back up plan and if you call the manufacturer they will overnight you a new one.
Unless she has another medical problem that does not allow for a pump, your doc was giving you very bad advice.
Obviously pumps are not for everyone, but dismissing them for that just doesn’t make sense to me.