Thinking of taking a break

My problem of fitting the second basal shot into my life is my variable work schedule. I usually work days, but often will work an evening shift where I don’t get home until almost midnight. I’m not allowed to have a cellphone with me when working (retail) and I would ignore the alarms anyway. A major problem with my Dexcom at work is that I always feel the vibrating alarm, but I usually dismiss it thinking I feel just fine. I unfortunately do the same thing at night also. About half the time I get up and test and the Dex is usually right. Other times I’m so tired of being woken up that I just dismiss the alarm and go back to sleep. Frankly I’m really struggling with BG control right now. It’s a rare night that I don’t get woken up several times with lows or highs. I also average at least half a tube of glucose tabs a day.

I know that I was just whining and probably won’t stop pumping. Hopefully the Opsite Flexifix tape will help the itching pain from other tapes I’m using with my Dex. I think that if I didn’t have to eat, I could keep my BG fairly stable. Like many people, if I take enough insulin to prevent spikes after eating, I always go low at 3-4 hours.

I always have great A1c’s, but it’s a battle. I know my pump keeps me safer because I have less insulin on board than when taking shots. Although I get a lot of lows, they’re different than the lows on shots. I am also safer with the Dexcom, but it’s a constant reminder of how variable my BG is. Stupid disease…

Who does…(like doing any injections)? But let us know how THAT vacation comes out… would ya (; >

Its not hard to do them… and what is the other REAL option prey tell? None will kill you quickly enough…

I was on injections for 35 years and hated shots. I have been pumping for 8 years, and I am so ready to take a pump vacation for all of the same reasons. I am having a lot of whacky bloodsugars lately do to bad absorption sites. Let us know if and when you take the vacation and how it goes for you.