Who's still taking shots? Should I start pumping?

OK so I’m looking through everyone’s profile and I’m seeing most of you all are on the pump. I still take shots exclusively, but I’m starting to feel very dinosaur-ish. I’ve had Type 1 for 17 years now, so I guess I’m pretty set in my ways.

Is there anyone out there like me who still takes shots and plans on sticking with it?

I personally don’t mind shots. In fact, I think I would prefer to take multiple shots rather than have that pump on me all the time. If I can get good readings with my current regimen, is there any reason to start pumping?

But I will be the first to admit that I need to have better control. Every year seems to get more and more brittle for my diabetes. If a pump will help me get my A1C down this year then I’ll proudly wear one.

And yes, I’m still waiting for Apple to come out with the iPump. I don’t think it will happen soon enough, so let me know what is the latest and greatest in insulin pumpology.

Thanks and Happy Sugars.

I believe the pump is a personal preference for each person. I just recently started the pump and I can’t see myself going back to shots. If you are not mentally ready for the pump then don’t do it as the pump is a lot of work, plus you have to come to terms with having it attached to you 24/7, Personally it didn’t take me long to get adjusted to wearing it. I sometimes forget it is attached and walk off with it dangling if i have been in bed or at my desk and not have it on my waistband.

i’m still on shots, i haven’t yet made the decision regarding a pump. I WANT AN iPump though if they come out with one!!

I think we need to send a letter to Apple demanding the iPump.

Imagine a device that plays MP3s, gives turn-by-turn directions, sends and receives email…and administers insulin. They can put a stylish iPump commercial on TV with a catchy song like “Candy Girl” or “Pour Some Sugar On Me”…I’m sold.

Next thing you know Paris Hilton is sporting the iPump at the club.

I have been insulin dependent for 21 years, and went on a pump about a year ago. It has helped lower my A1c. The pluses for me are: 1) I can take tiny amounts of insulin whenever I eat any carbs, much smaller amounts than you could reasonably draw up in a syringe. (Increments of 0.05 U!) This means if I snack I can cover it, no more wondering “was that enough that I have to take another shot, or do I risk giving myself a little too much and then being hypoglycemic”. This results in advantage 2)- Less highs and lows. 3) You can turn down the basal rate when exercising. I like to hike, downhill ski, swim, etc., so I used to just carry a lot of carbs, when I was going to be exercising all day. (I could take less Lantus, but the effects for the whole day were kind of unpredictable.) 4) You can set up multiple basal rates during the day (the basal insulin takes the place of a long acting insulin like Lantus) so it’s easier to deal with things like dawn phenomenon, etc. The disadvantages are: 1) You have to wear it all the time. 2) It’s more expensive. 3) It helps to be gadget oriented in learning how to use it, otherwise it could seem kind of overwhelming at first to learn the ins and outs of using it.

Hope this is helpful!

Hi Dino,
I usually take between 5 to 7 shots a day. A pump is not for me. I don’t mind the shots and I have excellent control with them. My A1c is 5.6. But I am also not a snacking person. If I have to use smaller more numerous meals on any given day I just shoot more. My doctor offered me a pump, but I am around a lot of small children and they are in my lap and in my arms a lot and i don’t think there is anywhere I can put a pump and have it stay attached for long. Also I just don’t want to have something attached to me all of the time. I have had IV access ports attached to me and had to have too many Iv’s hooked up for me to want any more tubing on me again. I much prefer to be free and am sure I will stay with the MDI’s. Please don’t let me discourage you though, Each person should make their own choice’s. My son also uses shots and shoots about the same amount as I do. But I do know several people who have pumps and really like them. I don’t think the shots are old fashioned, just a choice. Remember that all of us say whatever works for you is the way to go.

I have been a type 1 for 22 years and just went on the pump in February.It is a wonderful tool.I would never go back to injections.I was having alot of hypos during the night because the longlasting insulin is unpredictable.If I exercise I would have hypos.When you have a sick day where you aren’t active you can increase your basal rate(background insulin) to compensate.I can set my own rates according to my needs.I don’t think that the pump is alot of work.It does all the math for me.It takes the guesswork out of how much insulin to take for high carb foods.With foods like pizza or any other high fat foods you can do a combo bolus.It gives you a portion of insulin at first,then the rest a few hours later.You can adjust it.On injections,if you take too much you can go low,if you take too much you can go high.The pump does all the work.The only thing that is work is once when you are on the pump you have to skip a meal and test every hour after til the next meal.That is so you can skip meals and still be in a safe range.During the night you must test.I tested every other hour to see where my sugar was.You only have to do this for 2-3 days.Your doctor will adjust your rates.You also have to be willing to test more often on the pump.You also have to know how to count carbohydrates.The pump works on an "insulin to carbohydrate"ratio.You should have medical coverage for the supplies.They are very expensive.You can be very discreet with the pump.You can put it in your pocket.I wear mine like a cellphone.Just make sure that you are willing to be attached to it.You will eventually forget it’s even there.The pumps today are very lightweight.Mine weighs only 3.3 ozs.My pump is waterproof so I can do watersports without a problem.I disconnect it though for a shower.Good luck on your decision!

I’ve been diabetic for about 11 years now, and I still take shots. I have no problem taking the shots, and I love the convenience of the pens. Like you, I prefer the multiple shots instead of a pump. I do think a pump would even out the highs and lows for more consistency, but a pump is just not for me. The main reason is that I would not want the pump, tubes, etc. attached to me 24/7. I have been using a CGMS (Dexcom) for over a year, and I really like it, but I have found I am wearing it less and less due to that attachment factor…especially now that that we are approaching warmer weather. If the shots work for you and you have decent control or can try for better control with the shots, I see nothing wrong with it.

I’m about to celebrate my 15 year anniversary next week and I still take shots. I was offered a pump not long ago and I’m just still not ready for one. I’m on Lantus for the long term and Humalog for the fast acting and I can pretty well control my sugars with those so at this point I’m not too concerned about it.
So, I guess to answer your question, No. You’re not the only one still on shots.

I have had D for 25 years, got the pump after about 7 or 8 years. It was a tough sell as having something hanging on me all the time seemed very tedious. However, once convinced to try it, I was hooked. What did if for me was the freedom to NOT eat. On shots was a pretty regimented lifestyle. I took regular and NPH at that time. When that NPH kicked in I had to eat. I have never liked giving shots to myself and would often have family or friends give them to me so taking 5-7 a day seemed like a dismal life. I remember being so thrilled at going an entire day without eating much of anything and what little I did eat was when I was hungry. Almost like a normal person (whatever that really means:-)). Since that time I have gone off the pump for short periods of time and always miss it. MAN!! do I dream of a cure.

That is a great idea! You might be on to something there.

Other than making a pump that is so cool it might slow down the already slow process of finding an end to this disease.

Too slow my friend…too slow.

I’ve had Type 1 for 46+ years and it looks like I’m hooked on needles.
My Insulin doseage is between 35-40 units (Lantus and Humalog).
The needles are short and practically painless. Drawing the Insulin
and the delivery are easy and fast. My Diabetes is in Good control
and my test results come back in the desired areas(touch wood).

If I ever need or get a desire to be on a pump in the future,
I would chose the Omni unless something better comes out.

Hi Dino, this is Havana16, mary ann, and I have been a type 1 diabetic for 38 years. I am still on the shots,too I take 2 shots of Lantus am and pm, and the Humalog pen before meals. I have been having alot of problems in the past year with controlling my blood sugars though. I have been in control most of my diabetic life I got it when I was 15 years old and I have no complications except for some digestive problems But I have hypoglycemia unawareness this past year and it is very dasngerous. I was on one of the first pumps when I was pregnant 9 years ago and I did not like it. My Dr. has talked to me about the pump but we are not sure because of my problems with low blood sugars. I also know I need better control but I have gotten so acustomed to shots it is part of my day to day life and it does not bother me at all. I know I will eventually have to make a decision with my Dr about pumps but right now I do not feel I am ready for it so you are not the only one out there!

I’ve just returned home from two weeks vacation in Cabo. While on vacation, I went off the pump - didn’t want to wear a pump when I knew I’d be spending most of my time in swim suits and in the pool or ocean! So I went back to multiple injections - Lantus and Humalog. While I’m glad I have that option, the past two weeks has caused me to LOVE MY PUMP!!! Way better bgl control!

Over the past five years I have had various endos strongly suggest that I go on the pump. For a long time I resisted - I didn’t like the idea of having something strapped to me at all times, didn’t like the tubing, etc. However in recent months I have come to the conclusion that the best tool to help me get my erratic blood sugars in check would be a pump. Plus I figure that if I don’t like it, then there is nothing stopping me from going back to my multi-shot method. I might as well try it first and see if like it.

I’m eyeing the Animas 2020 - I’ve heard good things about the customer support. It doesn’t hurt that it comes in green and has a color screen. :wink:

I too am still taking shots - Humalog and Lantus, baby! I’ve been a diabetic for 14 yrs – I’m using both in pen form, but they are injections. My A1C isn’t great, and a pump probably would be best (I like the idea of the OminPod, but I’m still not sold. (With these two types of insulin, I have tremendous flexibility, at least compared to R & NPH when I was first diagnosed.)

However, my endo is pushing the pump as well. So I’m in the bargaining stage – I told him I’d go on the pump once it works in conjunction with the continuous blood glucose monitor AND they are both covered by my insurance. I’m sure that probably bought me another year or two. Maybe I’d convert for the iPump.

I think I could control my A1C fine with shots and testing if I focused on it a little more. My goal is to test 6 times a day, and it’s not that I mind, I just forget to test that frequently.

I see tons of pumpers here, too - good to know there are some other dinosaurs.

I’ve been T1 for 20 years now and still decline the pump. I’m like you, set in my ways and don’t mind injections. For me, I don’t see the point of switching. I can get my a1c to 5.8 when willing to put in the effort. I hate the idea of always been connected to a pump. I’ve read about the omni pod, which has no tubing and that idea appeals more to me, but the major drawback is that I am on a lot of insulin and it won’t hold enough to make it worth the expense and trouble. I’m old school and injections work for me. Do your research on pumps and if it doesn’t work for you, it just doesn’t!

I’ve had type-1 for almost 15 years, been on the pump for almost 8. I agree with all the comments posted earlier - the pump makes it much easier to achieve good control while having a flexible schedule, but it takes a long time to get used to actually wearing the thing.
I did okay when I was on shots, but the pump has allowed me to stop scheduling my life around diabetes - I’m now able to skip meals, sleep in etc. without a second thought. However, my a1c actually went up when I first went on the pump because I was forgetting to test/bolus and wasn’t having any of the lows I had on injections. Plus, if you don’t test often you run the risk of going into DKA if you have a problem with your infusion set (which happens fairly frequently).
I have the Minimed 522 with the CGMS, and would definitely recommend it. Pumping definitely has its pros and cons, but I didn’t realize how much diabetes controlled my life until I went off shots and on the pump.

You have to do whatever makes the most sense and works for you. You can achieve excellent control using either the pump or MDI’s. I’ve had Type 1 for 18 years and started the pump 3.5 years ago. I love it and wish I had started earlier. My primary reason for switching was that my A1c’s started creeping up above 7 which had never been an issue before. The secondary reason is that my uncle, who has had Type 1 for 57 years, had been on the pump for five years and was praising it for a few years before my A1c’s started elevating above 7. Since starting on it I haven’t had an A1c above 6.4 and most huddle in the low 6’s. But, I know this can also be achieved with MDI’s as there are a lot of Type 1’s with better control than I who use MDI’s. If I had to choose between MDI’s and the pump, assuming my blood sugars would be the exact same using either one, I would still stick with the pump due to the convenience/flexibility factor. But, this is a personal choice and I certainly appreciate that there are many who prefer to stick with MDI’s for good reason(s). Ultimately you have to choose whatever is best for you and your life. Good luck !