“This is Caleb…” – the origin #dblogday

This is Caleb…

A little over a year after Caleb was diagnosed, when the fog had cleared, we had experienced all our “firsts” and things were more or less chugging along, my attentions shifted. The present was under control, now what about the future?

I made my first video. The intent was to bring attention to work being done to find a cure for type 1 diabetes. It turned into so much more than that. It entered me into a world I hadn’t realized existed, or at least one that I could be so much a part of.

Caleb, his face, his story, his personality, have all stretched across the world and brought me, and him, within reach of a support system that we would not otherwise have. I am so grateful for this unexpected byproduct.

This is my first work. When I made it, I could not watch it without crying. No matter how many times I watched it, I would choke up. Now when I watch it, there are two things that I note: (1) how much more effective my message could have been had I made it more succinctly (yes, it’s long – sorry), and (2) how my perspective has changed. The story is still true. The spirit of the message still resounds. But now I know the Caleb who has been living with diabetes for almost three years. He has adapted. He has flourished. He has shown me what perseverance is. Diabetes does not define Caleb. He just happens to be living with it. I can watch the video now without tears because I know that Caleb.

So, as this and other videos I have made begin, This is Caleb…

At least a part of him.

Caleb - Hope

Your intro is beautiful, saying that you can watch it without tears at this point. I just watched (my son was diagnosed almost 4 months ago) and haven’t cried so much since he was diagnosed. What a powerful message. It was so clearly what parents go through. This message would very easily tell someone who hasn’t experienced it feel what you’re going through. I cannot wait until I can watch something like that without breaking down!
Thank you.

I’m so glad to read your comments Emily. When Caleb was first diagnosed, it was very hard for me to look at any pictures of him taken “before”. It seemed like that was a life and a boy we would never know again. I still look at those pictures and think of a different time, but it does not sting like it used to. It’s more a curled lip and a raised eyebrow instead of tears. I think it will always be emotional, but it does indeed become more manageable and much less devastating. The impact that communities like TuDiabetes has is so important in that. I’m so glad you found us. We are here to help each other.