Time gap required after taking insulin for exercise

i have type 1 diabetic from last 2 years . i take insulin 30 min before my meal.And start heavy exercise after 45 min of eating meal. But after exercise my sugar level shoots to 450. so kindly advise me , after how much time should i start my training . As i have seen in many discussions , people saying 45 min is sufficient.i take glaritus shot before eating food . its a long acting insulin

I also have this issue depending on the exercise. If I do a cardio workout, then I have to take a lot less insulin with the meal before the workout and also reduce my basal levels. But if I do an intense weight lifting workout, a lot of the time my after exercise reading will be high. I've learned that for weight workout, I don't reduce my basal level and this generally helps with this problem.

Would you get a postmeal spike like that if you didn't exercise? Are you dropping low during excercise, then bouncing? You are not bolusing with a short acting insulin before meals and you are just treating your T1 with long acting insulin?

Sounds like you are having a typical liver dump of glucose in response to heavy exercise. Lot's of diabetics have this and there are any number of strategies you can use to counter an exercise induced spike, but it's difficult to say anything if you are not well controlled postmeal on long acting insulin alone.

I'm not a doctor and I don't have any credentials to dispense medical advice, but I'd think that a T1 diabetic two years into his diagnosis would benefit from short acting insulin. I can tell you that it would definitely help with the post exercise BG spike.

Ok, for those that don't know, "Glaritus" is a bioidentical drug to Glargine (Lantus).

So the answer to the question is that you really need to revise your insulin regime. You need a basal insulin (like Glaritus) to take once or twice a day. That insulin will ensure your fasting blood sugars are controlled. You then need a different rapid acting insulin to handle meals, this is your bolus insulin. A basal insulin will do a terrible job of controlling your blood sugar rise from meals and when you top it off by exercising that is just piling things on.

I would really encourage you to talk to your doctor about an intensive insulin regime, continuing your basal insulin (Glaritus), but adding in a rapid insulin to handle meals. Rising to 450 mg/dl is way too high. Good books to read about this basal/bolus regime are "Using Insulin" by Walsh and "Think Like a Pancreas" by Scheiner.

i agree...! you're taking lantus with/for your food? are you on a bolus, I:CR short acting insulin for your meals?

thanks a ton brian.it will be very helpful to me if u can clear my concepts . please correct me . i understand here is that.i should take a fast and shot acting insulin just 15 min before food and then exercise after approx 1 hour. And should take a long acting insulin later in small dose to maintain the late rise of sugar in my body .

Dose ill adjust according to my diet , but is i m correct.

just for information, at what time u take basal insulin , in morn or even or both time .and how u have decided the quantity

First, I recommend that you talk with your doctor or nurse about using a fasting acting insulin before meals. Exercise is great, but until you better understand how your body will react to taking insulin with meals you would be safer exercising at least 3-4 hours after a meal when your blood sugar is reasonable normal. Most advice is to not exercise if your blood sugars are > 250 mg/dl. Obviously a reading of 450 mg/dl is way to high to safely exercise. And you also need to make sure you don't have a low during exercise, so it would be best to limit the variables and simply go slow.

I'm currently on a pump.

Previously, I was on Lantus and I took a single dose in the evening. I did a bit of basal testing when I first went on Lantus to determine the dose that worked best for me. I never did achieve the kind of results that I wanted and, rather than playing around more with Lantus, I decided to just switch to a pump for more precise basal control.