Transplant or no transplant? That is the question

I've been contemplating the question a lot lately. Should I pursue a pancreas transplant, or not? It seems like a no-brainer when I, like many others, have been living with t1 diabetes for over 25 years. I've had numerous complications, I'm on way too many medications every day, and I've had many difficulties mentally coping over the years as well.

I've had a kidney transplant, a rejection, a ruptured appendix, neuropathy and several other ailments and I would do almost anything to be able to live without t1 diabetes. Do you think you would ever get a pancreas transplant?

I haven't had diabetes all that long and as far as I know have no complications, but down the road it'd entiiiiiirely depend on a lot. I mean there's a trade off for pancreas transplants: Immune suppressants for life. I don't know if I could handle that more than type 1 diabetes. Mostly because I'm going to be working in the healthcare industry as a secretary, while I have low patient contact, it could still happen and that'd be a bad job for someone on suppressants But hey, if you want to do it, you probably know what's best for you and instinct is the best. .

Doris woudl be an excellent person to speak with about this issue.

http://www.tudiabetes.org/profile/mamalookingood?xg_source=profiles_friendList

There is no right or wrong answer. No real advice. Your best bet is to follow your gut and hope the evidence and outcomes follow.

If I needed a kidney transplant, I would DEFINITELY want to get a pancreas at the same time, or else islets at least.

It seems to me that there are two downsides to a pancreas transplant- immunosuppression and surgery. Getting islets instead makes the surgery a much much lesser issue, and if you're small, then islets are a pretty reasonable option. And if you already have to be immunosuppressed because of another organ transplant, why not add a pancreas to the mix?

I have heard of it being successful and I have heard of it not working, as others have said the autoimmune issue. I guess it's up to you. I have read that back in June of 2013 the Boston Children's Hospital discovered the root cause of Type 1. This is amazing and leads to the development of not only more effective treatments but prevention and the outcome we are all looking for.