Tresiba Basal Insulin

Yeah I watched the whole thing too… Did you notice he uses the terms “dawn phenomenon” and “honeymoon period” interchangeably a number of times, clearly unintentionally and incorrectly… Causes me some concern for him

2 Likes

Yes, i did notice some mistakes by him. Obviously unintentional. He is not a young man.

Not alibiing, but almost everyone I know commits conversational slipups, regardless of age.

Watched Bernstein December first forty minutes. He said he’d only prescribe if therapy wasn’t working because of no information about long term effects noting that lantus use has some cancer incident. The problem he’s used it for is high blood sugars at wake up. Sounds to me like a blind test of let’s try something else. On another subject he says there is no IT solution except if you wear a cgm watch and get into habit of looking frequently so catch lows in time. He went on about how people with some insulin production get good results on a pump because they have some insulin production not because of IT solutions. That’s what I think of when I see some of the great numbers. Another subject he says it is impossible to time the insulin to the carbohydrate. My results would confirm that. I might decrease carbohydrate intake.

Well I just got a sample of tresiba so hopefully I’ll be able to let you know my impressions… I wasn’t even actually looking for this, I had sent my doc a message saying I’d like to try levemir once a day instead of lantus because I need a significant amount of basal coverage in be mornings and afternoons, and seemingly none in the evening-- so I thought I could take advantage of the shorter duration of levemir----

He came back with “you don’t want that, you want tresiba instead” basically, which I don’t exactly understand his rationale,( because I thought my rationale made perfect sense) but will see how it goes and update

1 Like

Had a chance to talk to doc in more detail about this and he is absolutely ecstatic about tresiba— he said he’s not even prescribing lantus and levemir anymore unless the patient has been using it for a long time and insist on sticking with them. He insists tresiba is vastly superior.

I questioned him about the dosing as I was concerned I might be effectively stacking doses if they actually last two days and I am taking the same dose as I took of lantus every day-- he explained that’s not really how it works because you’re still just taking the same dose of U100 insulin every day and how long it lasts really won’t change the dosing-- he did caution me to not adjust doses more often than every 3-4 days as that will confuse the whole issue with a basal that lasts so long…

He was actually really excited about it and now I am too.

So, as you might have seen in my other discussion, i was prescribed Tresiba yesterday, and started it last night. i had been on levemir for a month before that, and my doctor told me i might have better results with it:

1. it is way more stable than levemir, which, at low doses of 10-15 units, like i need it, doesnt even work 12 hrs sometimes.
  2. it works up to 48hrs or longer, so i dont have to take my basal shot at the exact time every day, he told me i’d be able to vary up to 2 hrs.
    He also told me that i might need somewhat less insulin than with levemir (24 units daily, i started with 22 units of tresiba yesterday).
    @Sam19 you might wanna be cautious on correcting your dose too soon, as it takes also up to 48 hrs or more for tresiba to enter your body, so dont wait the first 24 hrs and then already change dosage.

the only problem with it seems that it is very dull, so when you change your doses afterwards, it takes a few days to see the full effect.

but my doctor was also very positive about the insulin, working in europe he has already seen patients using it for at least 2 years, and says he puts patients only on that basal insulin if possible.

3 Likes

Sam - very nice. Please keep us in the loop. As mentioned before, I’m still (LOL) thinking of ditching my Omnipod and going with long acting basal to use in conjunction with Afrezza.

2 Likes

Our DD is on Treseba. It does work, but it does seem to have a period where it works more strongly (or perhaps this is her new adult basal pattern). If sleeping there is a drop from 6Am to 11 AM. We have given it different times, tried noon when she wakes up as she is on school vacation (this has worked best as the peak seems to coincide with the 6PM to 1:30 AM period where she needs more basal (she used to be on a pump). We have given it 3pm, 6pm and up to midnight. I think first thing when she wakes in the morning may be best for her. It is not supposed to peak but it has a long steady peak for her. I hope she has late classes as 11 am or 12 noon is a good time.

Talked to my endo this weekend and he had great things to say and he sent in a script for me. I’m gonna give this a try and go off the Omnipod for a bit while using Afrezza for bolus and corrections (that’s what i do anyway with the Omnipod simply for basal).

3 Likes

Very cool Mike, I’ll expect a full report

Cool to see this. I’ve heard the Tresiba and Afrezza will be the future for many diabetics, time will tell. You guys are not afraid of change. Good luck to you all.

1 Like

Ps Mike I’ll be starting my tresiba experiment either tomorrow or Tuesday night… Granted mine isn’t as far a departure from my norm as yours is because I’m just switching from lantus instead of pumping like you are. I’ll really be interested to compare notes with you though. I hope our outstanding results won’t prove to be inflammatory and controversial this time around, but instead helpful to people who are struggling to control their blood sugars as tightly as they’d like to.

1 Like

@Sam19 @mikep please keep me in the loop, i would like to learn from you guys also, as i switched to tresiba last thursday…
it’s been good so far, except for some weird sugars at night that i cant explain. as soon as i fall asleep, my BG raises about 5-8mmol/l, without having eaten anything. i know about DP, but this?

It’s gotten better last night, but i would still prefer a flatter line. during the day it’s awesome.

question to the dexcom people out there: as i am new to the dex as well, could this also simply be a dexcom error? you see i dont have full coverage of the sugars with pretty long “blackouts” which are unexplicable to me as well.

thanks mpg. I hope it works well!!! Would be a pretty cool combo!!!

amen to that, Sam.

Hey Swiss - that’s interesting. Will be sure to report back once I get rolling on it.

I don’t have a ton of breaks in my Dex (especially at night) so I’ll let someone else comment on that.

1 Like

@swisschocolate

I only used the Dexcom 7+ for a few months… One of the main complaints I had was that it often went all wonky when I laid down— it would frequently show skyrocketing highs or plummeting lows shortly I laid down that a meter confirmed every time weren’t actually happening— so the first thing I’d recommend is verify that this is actually happening instead of your cgm just getting thrown into a weird loop when you lay down… My doctors only theory on it related to how thin I was at the time…

@Sam19 was the problem lying onto the sensor or just your physical position of lying down?
might try another placement the second time around. yeah, i will double check with fingerstick, however once i did and it was true.
but my alarm clock will ring tonight at 1am or something :worried:

It wasn’t a matter of lying on the sensor, I think I just didn’t have enough of a fat layer to keep the sensor consistent between different body positions… That’s just my theory

1 Like