Tresiba Basal Insulin

I didn’t know what that Voltaren was till I looked it up. I wouldn’t use it but I am going to figure something out. I do feel it starting to change the tissue. I can’t believe you even use the calf! Wow I never would have ventured there.

My attitude might change if I was a customer.

it is always astounding to me that you get to see ads for prescription-needing medications. i can’t imagine that, this is not allowed in switzerland (and other european countries as well i believe) so the most we get to see is for cough syrup or some sort of tea from sidroga. all over the counter stuff. so i have never seen ads for tresiba or dexcom and imagining a jingle for one of those meds seems weird to me.

Count yourself very lucky, @swisschocolate! If you’re feeling particularly masochistic, go search for the Tresiba ad on youtube and watch it :grin:

One of the culturally humorous memes that’s come out of prescription medication advertising is the long list of horrific side-effects that are quickly listed at the end of the ad in a quiet voice, all breaths and gaps removed, sped up. This gets made fun of on shows like Saturday Night Live and other comedy entertainment from time to time.

omg, it is terrible :joy:
are YOU tresiba ready? :wink:
instead of a long list of side effects, every non prescription drug advertised in switzerland needs a sentence in the end, that goes something like this: this is a medicinal product. ask for advice from a professional and read the package insert. it also goes really fast and without a breath in between, and there are dozens of alterations people make to make it sound funny.

I warned you!

I had similar experiences with the Dexcom. I think the inaccurate readings were caused by compression. It happened when I went to sleep, clothing restriction, something bumping into the Dexcom.

How sensitive are you to wine and the effect of wine/alcohol on next morning fasting BG? If a little wine before bed can decrease the sugar dump from the liver, it could be nice.

For the past 3 days, my morning Fasting have been 83,73, 67. (bedtime BG: 105,110,112). (I’m not worried about hypoglycemia overnight because there is no bolus short acting insulin on board. My dinner bolus is usually between 6 or 7 pm. There is only Tresiba overnight. Based on previous basal testing, my BG stays fairly level overnight and throughout the day if I don’t eat. ) Although the decrease from bedtime to fasting is large, especially from 112 to 67. My endo thinks that 7 units of Tresiba is the right dose for me. I’ve been using Tresiba for over 1 month now. It’s been decent.

For the past 4 days, I changed the time of dosing Tresiba from 9 pm to 6 pm. Could this be the cause for the lower fasting BG. Has anyone found that the time of day injection of Tresiba has made a difference for them?

Another possibility is that I’ve been having dark unsweetened cocoa with heavy whipping cream w/ a bit of Trader Joe vanilla extract in some hotwater after dinner. The vanilla extract does contain alcohol. Could this be the cause?

BTW - do you become concerned with a fasting BG of 67? I’m not. Although, it is lower than what I usually have (89 to somewhere in the low 100’s).

For tonight and the next few days, I’ll skip the vanilla extract with alcohol and see if it makes any difference.
I plan to continue with this current routine of taking Tresiba at 6pm for another week or so and observe.

I’m assuming you’re just talking about a dash or so of vanilla extract-- and I’d say no I think it is highly unlikely that unless you’re drinking a whole bottle at a time that it’s having any effect on your fasting Bg. I also think changing time from 9 - 6 is also inconsequential.

An appreciable amount of alchohol can lower your fasting bg for some people— for me it only seems to do so significantly if I drink excessively and after not having any alchohol whatsoever for a significant length of time prior…

I highly doubt a teaspoon of vanilla is upsetting your bg. Or that an occasional glass of wine would either… if you’re consistently drifting lower overnight and it’s a repeatable trend then might just be time to dial back the basal a unit or two
And no I wouldn’t be concerned personally with a fasting bg of 67 but each individual needs to evaluate things like that in their own personal context of their stability, situation, etc

Yes, it is a dash or so of vanilla extract.

I would not have thought that changing the time by 3 hours would have made a difference either.

Does anyone know if cocoa affects BG?

I have tried to reduce my carbs and increase my fats a little recently. This has led to having bedtime BG closer to 100 to 120’s. Previously, my bedtime BG’s were closer to 130’s 140’s that I would try to correct. I guess it is a work in progress

So I will wait and see.

Sometimes there is no clear rhyme or reason to why things change. Could be the cocoa. Try changing the habit.
Could be the position of the stars?

I would also not be worried with a fasting of 67, though I typically am in the 70s - 80s. If I start seeing anything over 100 it’s time to adjust (or I had a large dietary indiscretion the previous day).

1 Like

Thanks.

Having a decent bedtime BG leads to a decent Fasting BG.

For me, I’ve found that eggs and cheese w/ coffee+cream are the easiest breakfast without worrying too much about spiking. If I add anything else to the breakfast, even if 6g carbs and bolus for it, there still appears to be a 30 point spike.

For what it’s worth, while a dash of vanilla wouldn’t do much to my blood sugar, a glass of wine could easily bring down my morning blood sugars/suppress my dawn phenomenon. One glass of wine is usually perfect—two or more and I need to reduce my Lantus (not sure what the answer would be on Tresiba, would probably need to eat more before bed).

Also, I’ve noticed recently that when I’m eating LCHF, my dawn phenomenon tends to be reduced if not close to eliminated compared to when I’m eating more carbs. I’m guessing maybe it’s because I’m burning through my glycogen stores throughout the day as well (it also happens if I have a prolonged or several lows during the day even if I’m eating carbs). Maybe if you’ve shifted your diet, something like that is going on? I agree though than an asymptomatic/steady 67 would not bother me—sounds pretty good actually.

When I can’t figure out what led to this high or that low, I frequently blame it on the position of the stars.

1 Like

Thanks, Allen! I picked up my Tresiba insulin today. From everything I am hearing it should be similar in dosage to Lantus, which it will be replacing? However it would seem to me the initial adjustment is tricky as it is so long acting that it would take 2 days to get to a stable level? For example I am taking 20 units of Lantus a day and if I use U100 Tresiba I was told first try 20 units a day, but what concerns me is if the 20 units is still active for 48 hours and I take another 20 units in 24 hours wouldn’t my level double for the next 24 hours because of the overlap? This means I would likely have high blood sugar levels for the first 24 hours but should wait a full 48 hours to determine if I should adjust it higher or lower?

I would think the longer action of the 20u Tresiba would actually produce a short-term basal deficiency in the first day or two. FWIW, I went from Levemir to Tresiba, using the same number of units per day and had no problem. There are others here who have described different “potency” with Tresiba and have adjusted accordingly, but it doesn’t strike me as a big deal.

Hi Mike,

For me I used the same exact amount as Lantus. Just quit the Lantus and start the Tresiba the same dose.

So you didn’t notice having high blood glucose levels the first 24 hours?

I didn’t nope. Many people who have actually used on here gave me the same advice and it worked great, very simple. Don’t go by theory.

If you search you’ll see the advice they gave me and their experience in one of my threads.

I recommend the following formula.

Day 1-- take X units of lantus as usual
Day 2-- take X units of tresiba instead, throw lantus in garbage

It’s super forgiving. No need to make it complicated. If after a few days you think you need a little more or less, adjust accordingly