Trick to get bubbles out when filling pump

Not sure if anyone else does this but it was my 16 yr. old son that figured it out… Put two syringes of air into the insuin bottle…not just 1 and then the pressure will cause the syringe to fill up on its own w/ little to no bubbles. It doesn’t seem to hurt the bottle even if it was the first use… the extra pressure fills all on its own!

you should check with the manufacturer if thats ok.
there are issues of cleanliness, contamination etc.
for example, using a ‘used’ needle or ‘dirty’ needle (although it may seem clean) may contaminate the vial.
i would check with the manufacturer if this procedure raises any hygeine/contamination issues

alternatively, there could be other issues (such as technical issues).
i suggest to just speak to the manufacturer

I do this.I just take the reservoir filled with air as usual, inject it,take it off the bottle with the blue attachment and all and refill it with air again.It does work well.I’ve been doing this for years and never had an issue.i even did this back when I took injections.My diabetic educator when I first got the pump 9 yrs ago showed me that trick.I don’t think you’ll have any issues.

Whenever I try and do this (pump in extra air), my Humalog vials drip and leak a considerable amount of insulin where the reservoir syringe is inserted. Then I’m left with an insulin-smelly mess.

I actually even have this problem when I first open a vial and I only put one syringe full of air. Maybe my Animas cartridges aren’t lubricated well enough so instead of pressing down the plunger of the fill syringe, the pressure is forced to push through the opening in the vial? Who knows.

I de-gas the vial. Its a bit tricky but super effective. All I do is draw 300 units without injecting air, and because its low pressure the bubbles go away. The only tricky part is separating the reservoir from the bottle, as it trys to suck the insulin back in. After you detatch the bottle, just let the pressure equalize.

Here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/user/MidnightButterfly222#p/a/u/0/OwbelFCNGz4

I dont do the first part because I use a 300U reservoir and she uses 1.76’s…so no need for me to withdraw anymore air.

Alan
what do u mean by “use a syringe”?

Alan
what do u mean by “use a syringe”?

The syrine that comes w/omnipod to to fill the pod with. I just read the “degassing” method…that sounds great too!