Trick to reduce blood gulucose in night

i was just experimenting , and in transition i found this trick . just use half of your dose of insulin 10 min before dinner and the other half just before sleeping .

Interesting. Don't you go high at the two hour pp when you've only bolused to cover 1/2 your meal? I'd also be concerned that bolusing 1/2 my meal dose before bed even if I wasn't high would make me go low during the night! But then I do have a pump, so I can reduce my blood glucose at night with a higher basal rate if needed. If this works for you, cool!

I'm wondering if this is referring to NPH. When I was on NPH (first 13 years of diabetes) I originally took two shots a day, one R + NPH at breakfast and one R + NPH at dinner. Then about 9 years into diabetes I switched to an adult endocrinologist and he suggested moving my NPH shot to bedtime to avoid overnight peaks and valleys. So then I was on three shots a day: R + NPH at breakfast, R at dinner, and NPH at bedtime. (For a while my endocrinologist tried eliminating R at dinnertime if my BG was normal, but that was quickly dropped!)

Of course, to most people on NPH I would definitely recommend moving to a more updated regimen such as MDI or the pump. But some people are happy only taking two or three shots a day. In some ways, diabetes was much more simple back then; but, of course, decent control depended on a ridiculously strict schedule, and even then was near impossible to achieve.

Bernstein actually recommends the use of Levemir and that you split your injections into two shots. One right before bed and the other no earlier than 9 hours before your nightime injection. I believe this is to try to stack the insulin higher overnight to combat darn phenomenon. If this is about injecting R or a rapid insulin right before sleeping, I really would avoid that. I feel safest if I go to sleep with little rapid insulin on board.

Brian, i think you got that mixed up. The dose before bed should be no more than 8 1/2 hours BEFORE THE MORNING dose.(page 242).

Yes, you are correct. I am the strange one, since I reverse it in order to try to stack up my insulin overnight.

It's not a way to go. You're still dealing with a high over a long period of time.
Eat 4-5 hours before bedtime. Get the effects of short acting insulin out of the way.
Take a minimal amount of your long acting insulin at bedtime. Enough so it tamps down dawn phenomenon but doesn't send you into a low at 6 hours after taking it.
Don't know when you're taking your major long acting insulin, but if it's in the morning, it has a tendency to run out during the night. So split it.

I think some more information would be helpful. Do you use bolus and basal insulin? And which brands do you use?