Trip to UCSD Medical Center

I had my first visit at Univ. of Calif. San Diego Medical Center on Thursday. I was sent there because of an enlarged liver, changes seen on CT scan, and a diagnosis of Autoimmune Hepatitis many years ago. It was truly an eye opening experience to say the least. Having worked in health care for many years. reading posts here, as well as some of my favorite TV shows, I was quite aware of organ transplants. But to sit in the doctor’s office and see the words “liver transplant” plastered everywhere was quite humbling.

The doctor was fantastic. He was thorough, caring, and compassionate. He explained everything and tried to make sure that I understood. The thing that surprised me was that he said liver problems could be associated with my RA and possibly even my diabetes. So now I am waiting for approval from my insurance and an appointment for a liver biopsy.

As a side note, my sister took me to San Diego for the appointment. Her husband is a disabled vet so we were able to stay at the Naval Air Station on Coronado Island. The scenery was gorgeous (ladies, I think you know what I mean!!), LOL.

My prayers are with you!! I would have enjoyed the hmm, scenery too!!