Tslim pump might not be for me

The Tslim insulin pump might not be the right insulin pump for me. I only was connected to it for 3 days. The increments of the basal rate don’t go small enough for what I need. The Tslim rep tried to create a basal program for me that equaled my total basal
12am Basal - 0.1
2:30am Basal 0

5:00 am Basal 0.175

9:00 am Basal 0.1

11:30 am Basal 0

1:00 pm Basal 0.1

3:00 pm Basal 0.125

9:00pm Basal 0.1

9:15 pm Basal 0

10:00pm Basal 0.1

10:15pm Basal 0

11:00pm Basal 0.1

11:15 pm Basal 0

Total = 2.225 I find this very confusing. How am I supposed to make corrections on my own when my rate needs increasing or decreasing? I am going to see my educator to see if something else can be done. The sleekness of the Tslim is nice, the touchscreen is nice, the ability to update it is a plus and the rechargeable battery saves money, BUT, I have to be able to manage it and feel safe. I gave in yesterday after supper and hooked back up to my 630g. On the good side of this I didn’t get woken up through the night and my dexcom line stayed nice and flat!! I think I have to stay with what works.

In another post, someone suggested diluting your insulin, which is a logical thing to do in your case. However, you must do whatever you feel makes you feel safe.

Yes, I am going to make an appointment with my Diabetes Educator to see if that would be an option for me. One of the other educators gave me a basal profile to match what my total basal is on my 630. What do you think? To me it looks very confusing, especially when it comes to making adjustments. As it is my basal rates on my 630 are 12a.050, 5a.175, 9a.o75, 3p .125, 9pm .025.
Basal profile Tslim
12am Basal - 0.1

2:30am Basal 0

5:00 am Basal 0.175

9:00 am Basal 0.1

11:30 am Basal 0

1:00 pm Basal 0.1

3:00 pm Basal 0.125

9:00pm Basal 0.1

9:15 pm Basal 0

10:00pm Basal 0.1

10:15pm Basal 0

11:00pm Basal 0.1

11:15 pm Basal 0

Total = 2.225

Yes, I agree. Terribly confusing and a nightmare to adjust.

You described how small you are but you must still be producing insulin of your own. Have you had a c-peptide test recently? I have always used a very small amount of basal. But in my case, my small amount is around half a unit per hour, or a total of about 13 units per day. Your requirement is incredibly small by comparison.

Yes I realize how small my basal rate is. I have not had that test done. I just get really sensitive around the evening hours. I have until the 22nd of July to return the Tslim. I am going to see what my educator says. My endo doesn’t like it when I have too many basal rates. Can you imagine what he’d say if he saw that? I need to be able to manage my insulin pump therapy all by myself. The reasons why I wanted the Tslim was so my dexcom would be integrated, the touchscreen and being able to update it. I can always look forward to Medtronic coming out with their Bluetooth enabled 780. I was looking for something to make my life a little easier. With the tslim it did the opposite. I am a little disappointed.:roll_eyes:

Well, your conditions really differ from what people generally face. I do hope you find the solution you seek.

2 Likes

I don’t buy it. I don’t buy that the MT pump was ever delivering anywhere near this level of accuracy. I would run some tests. But, for sure, don’t do anything that makes you feel unsafe. It might be valuable to experiment a little with the hardware, while you still have the opportunity…for the sake of learning and the greater good. You have a unique situation that might provide valuable insight for others.

You might be the only boots on the ground for this particular problem. I wish you luck, Solider.