Type 1 Diabetes and Fluctuating Weight

I am almost 20 and have been struggling with fluctuations in my weight. Is there anything that has helped other type 1 diabetics lose weight and keep it off? Low carb diets? A specific workout routine? I’m open to all suggestions.

I started to have severe weight gain when I was your age too. At the time going low carb helped but in the past year I’ve started gaining weight again and am having to calculate my calories in order to keep the weight off.

Is this something that started happening suddenly? Have you talked to your Dr. about it yet? Could you have developed some other sort of issue? We diabetics do tend to be prone to other autoimmune conditions that sometimes affect weight. I have a hormonal imbalance that doesn’t have anything to do with my diabetes and is probably responsible for my weight gain.

Sometimes a lot of us (myself included) fall into something called feeding the insulin, which means that you take too much insulin but since you are used to eating to keep your BG’s up you get too many calories and you don’t realize it.

Low carb diet. I mostly eat (since december when I started on a diet to lose weight, which has worked wonderfully) veggies, fruit, chicken, meat, fish. However,in order not to feel bored or frustrated, we have home made pizza but I limit the slices to 2 or at most 2.5. Nothing beats eating fresh fruits and fresh or frozen vegetables in lieu of junk or processed foods, as well as skipping ALL THE WHITE FOODS. No more bread, potatoes, rice, or pasta. I have cole slaw instead of potato. I eat homemade soups for lunch–no more grilled cheese, or other sandwiches. What I’m doing works! I’m now 3 lbs below my target weight.

Once you spend a couple days not eating processed or junk food, you will lose the cravings for those things. that’s why I no longer munch on Cheetos or chocolates, or get a hunk of carrot cake at a bakery (yum). :slight_smile: Just a taste of that stuff can send me right back to bad eating habits.

1 Like

Maybe here you can find some answers:

1 Like

I low carbed for 11 yrs and switched to low fat vegan about 1 1/2 yrs ago. I quickly lost 10 lbs and now weigh 106 lbs. I really enjoy eating all kinds of fruit, potatoes, all vegetables, legumes, rice, etc. etc.

You have to count carbs, but not calories.
I have been type 1 for 60 yrs. My A1c is 5.5 which is a little higher than my low carb A1c.
I take 23 units of insulin.

If interested see the Mastering Diabetes website. The program is run by 2 very bright type 1’s.