"type 1 diabetes has increased . . . due to poor diet and a lack of exercise."

When will they learn?

UF alum Brewer gives back
The Gainesville Sun

Brewer plans to pass along an important message to the kids attending his camp this week. It goes beyond jump shots and free throws. Juvenile (type 1) diabetes has increased among youths in the United States due to poor diet and a lack of exercise.

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20100727/ARTICLES/100729568/1136?p=all&tc=pgall

Wow, somebody should pass this information on to Oprah and Dr. Oz so they can do a whole show on this problem.

It really is surprising that such a statement would not raise flags in a major town like Gainesville with a large supposedly educated population.

So much for fact-checking, eh? I guess journalism really is dead.

Too bad they got it wrong. I think they meant “Juveniles with type2”. It’s strange because in the beginning they talk about his parents having type2. I think the reporter thinks type1 happens to kids and type2 happens to adults but thinks diabetes 1&2 are the same disease.

Bad news article
=(

This mix up is never going to end until type1 and type2 get completely different names.

I assume that you have written a letter to the editor, or emailed the reporter so that they can run a correction? It doesn’t do any good to vent about it without correcting the underlying issue.

Yes, I wrote a letter before I posted this. No reply yet.

This mix up is never going to end until type1 and type2 get completely different names.

Agree!

I wrote them this letter…

To Whom It May Concern,

I would like to bring your attention to an error in one of the news stories which you reported on Tuesday, July 27th, 2010, on your Gatorsports.com website. The story itself concerns UF alum Brewer giving back to the community, in particular, by raising awareness and education about Diabetes. While I commend such an effort, and I agree with the premise that everyone should be tested – at whatever the age – there ins an extremely glaring error in your story:

“Brewer plans to pass along an important message to the kids attending his camp this week. It goes beyond jump shots and free throws. Juvenile (type 1) diabetes has increased among youths in the United States due to poor diet and a lack of exercise.”

While it is true that the incidence of Diabetes is increasing among the young at an alarming rate, and it is considered that it is due to a poor diet and a lack of exercise, this type of Diabetes is Type 2 Diabetes, NOT Type 1 Diabetes. It is extremely important to note that Juvenile (or Type 1) Diabetes is an autoimmune condition in which the immune system attacks the pancreas, destroying its beta cells, and thus impairing insulin production. Juvenile Type 1 Diabetes is NOT the same as Juvenile Type 2 Diabetes! The cause for this self destruction (in Juvenile Type 1 Diabetes) is UNKNOWN and it is NOT caused by a poor diet or a lack of exercise. It can happen to anyone, without much indicators, and at any stage of health. (You can visit the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation’s website for more information on Type 1 Diabetes.) http://www.jdrf.org/index.cfm?page_id=101982.)

Your comment that Juvenile (Type 1) Diabetes could somehow be caused by poor diet, or a lack of exercise will create a lot of confusion and heartache for poor children in camps, everywhere, and the many parents who are already struggling greatly which this extremely dangerous disease, and do not understand why this has happened to them. Type 1 Diabetes can happen at any age (from infancy to old age)… Even at days of being born, when a child has not had even a remote chance of developing any bad eating or idleness habits! The stereotypes that many Type 1 Diabetes patients (adults and children) endure every day due to the confusion and misinformation about the differences between Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes is a huge obstacle in every day life as it builds HUGE negative biases, and resentment, when it comes to relationships with others, the workforce, and finding a cure or more effective management tools.

I would like to URGE you to become better informed about Type 1 Diabetes, print a correction regarding your error immediately, and contact organizations such as the Diabetes Hands Foundation (http://diabeteshandsfoundation.org/Diabetes_Hands_Foundation/Diabetes_Hands_Foundation.html), and the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, so that you can print an informative news article regarding Type 1 Diabetes that is balanced, educational, and informative… and genuinely can help the parents of this community.

Sincerely,

Lizmari M. Collazo
Type 2 Diabetic and Advocate.

Lizmari- Absolutely BEAUTIFUL letter to the editor! You rock!!

Outstanding letter Lizmari !!!
:slight_smile:

Well, that was fast:

Thanks for pointing this out. We have corrected the error in the paper today.

Jacki

Jacki Levine
Managing Editor
The Gainesville Sun
Editor

Lizmari, You are very articulate. I’m not surprised they corrected their error after reading your letter. I just wished they hadn’t written their ignorant article to begin with.

Yes, I agree. :frowning:

Here’s my letter:

Your article, “UF alum Brewer gives back” contains an important factual error. It says:

'Juvenile (type 1) diabetes has increased among youths in the United States due to poor diet and a lack of exercise."

This is incorrect. Type 1 diabetes (formerly called “Juvenile diabetes”) is not caused by a poor diet or a lack of exercise. It is an autoimmune illness whose cause is unknown. Type 1 diabetics are simply “unlucky” people. You are confusing the disease with the more common type 2 (about 95% of cases are type 2), which is caused by obesity, sedentary lifestyle, age and other risk factors.

I believe what you intended to say is that type 2 diabetes, which is generally associated with older people, is now being diagnosed in children, which is a very alarming fact. These children, however, are not the same as children who suffer with type 1 diabetes, who must give themselves multiple daily injections of insulin for the remainder of their lives.

Please correct the error in your story. We type 1s are tired of our disease being confused in the media.

Thank you.

And here’s their correction:

Type 1 diabetes, or juvenile diabetes, is usually diagnosed in children and young adults. Only 5-10 percent of people with diabetes have this form of the disease, according to the American Diabetes Association. Type 2 diabetes, the most common form, has been diagnosed increasingly among children and adults and has been linked to poor diet and a lack of exercise. An earlier version of this article contained incorrect information about the different types of the disease.

Note that the story still contains the line: “Juvenile (type 1) diabetes has increased among youths in the United States due to poor diet and a lack of exercise” (see page 3).

Great job HFXNS. That was right to the point.

Yeah…I just read the “updated” version. It kind of defeats the purpose to “correct” the information if you leave the incorrect information in the article as it was before. The article now contradicts itself.

*Nice letter HFXNS!!

Thanks!

Yeah I agree SophieJ but isnt this from as actual newspaper article? That would explain why they don’t edit the article on the website. If it is just on the website and not published in a newspaper then they should definitely edit the web article.

I did reply to them asking if they were going to fix the error on the site, because it was still up, and they said yes… lol When they actually get to it, if they do, who knows.

I definitely think they need different names. Education is the right step to finding a cure. Having a number 1 and 2 is silly considering so many people mix them up. If they mix them up then how can they contribute $ to research and cure? Imagine naming your children one two and three.