Type-2 carb counting?

Hello there,
i'm type-1 diabetes, but my brother was lately found out to be type-2 (or perhaps LADA)... anyway, I was wondering - is there a need for carb counting in type-2 diabetes? how does it done and what's the difference?
I do understand and do my best carb-counting for insulin-caculating purposes, but what is the benefits for type-2's ?

thanks
alon

As a T2, I have found the source of carbs to be very important. The fast acting ones are what cause the trouble for me, whereas my pancreas can handle the slower acting ones. No one diet is right for every T2, testing and noting which foods cause problems can help In understanding which foods to eliminate or restrict. I found the bloodsugar101 website to be a great resource in understanding how to modify my diet.

This is not an answer to your question, but is your brother getting appropriately tested for type 1/LADA? (LADA is just a slow-developing form of T1 that appears in adulthood.) Because he has a first-degree relative (you) who has T1 diabetes, his chances of developing it are higher than in the average population. Has he been screened for antibodies and had his c-peptide levels checked?

The concern is that they are putting him on oral medications, which will do nothing to help him. If he's a T1, he needs insulin.

nope. he actually got on Insulin, right now on a very small dose, but he still suffer from a very unstable bg....

as for my question - so you mostly consider GI and not the amount of carbs? or do you still prefer eating under a certain amount of carbs?

Kind of away from your question, but you say your brother was found out to be "type 2 (or perhaps LADA). LADA is Type 1 and calls for a different approach. If his type isn't clear he should request antibody testing and c-peptide.

Oops, just saw that MBP asked the same question. But I still think it's important to clarify his Type; they are different conditions.Your questions about GI wouldn't be very relevant to a Type 1 (as you know). To answer your original question, if he is on insulin then he needs to carb count to dose the same as you.

Thanks for the advice. he did had c-peptide test and all that, and was identified as LADA. he's using the pump, with a minimum dose of insulin, but find it quite hard to balance (does it make sense that Lada is less "logical" then type-1?) And what about taking Oral medication or only have special diet plan, do they also use carb counting? is it even relevant? That's enough for my curiosity ;) thanks all.

LADA is Type 1, it is just a form that comes on more gradually. So his body is still making some insulin and as that decreases his needs for exogenous insulin will increase. You don't give much details about in what way it is "hard to balance". Perhaps it would help for him to sign on and then he can give details and ask questions. LADA only differs from "regular" type 1 in the early stages when his insulin needs may be very minimal. But since he's on a pump he should be able to figure out his basals first and then his I:C ratios to get things in line. Suggest to him the book Using Insulin by John Walsh if he doesn't already have it.

Oral medications are not recommended for Type 1's. As for "special diet plan", no, he can make his own decisions about how many carbs he wants to eat, same as any other Type 1. Your brother is a Type 1. Think of it that way.

I'll ask him to join. Thanks.

For Type 2’s not on insulin carb counting is used to keep bgs in range after meals 120-140. By frequent 1 and 2 hour testing you can find how sensitive you are to certain carbs. It is really a trial and error process and e eventually you know what foods are safe to eat. LADA is not type 2 but a version of type 1.

thanks. that's really helpful.

I started counting carbs about four years ago. I've used various books, charts, and information on the net, The advantage is being able to keep yourself on track as far as what you have eaten and under the total amount of carbs necessary for your "D" to be controlled, weight loss, and health. After I don't know how many years on WW, I started losing weight again and to date have lost 86 lbs without too much pain. My "D" is controlled very well in doing this, less meds, and a better feeling. It's worth a try for a month and see how you and your brother do. The best book I've found is "The Calorie King, Calorie, FAT and Carbohydrate counter" www.calorieKing.com . It gives you brand names, recipe information, restaurants etc, and a diabetic diet guide, Very good book, AND each year they update the book, which helps greatly, You can get a copy by contacting novo nordisk,

And for anyone on insulin (of either type) carb counting is essential is that is the most efficient way to determine bolus dose.

thnx. keep doing good ;)

In type 2 diabetes the critical thing is what carbs you are injesting.
The Glycemic Index is a good startomg point

Good question. A diabetic educator or a doc could give you the parameters that your bro should be using for his diabetes, for my husband it's 150 g a day, this gives him the good he needs, and the lack of calories to lose some weight also. You don't say whether he is on pills only, insulin (humalog), or both or none. For me, it helped give me a guide line to go by how much food, what kinds of foods, and how, what to eat when. If possible,it would be great if you two could meet with a diabetic dietician or nutritionalist, one so that you could help him,and he could learn more specifically what's good for him. My dh's doc told him to eat what I eat, and he would do fine, but it wasn't enough food for him. I would suggest you get a good book with foods listed, restaruants, etc listed with carb and calorie counts....these will help you decide what kinds of foods you can eat. The benefits would be better control, confidence he his treating himself well, and a guideline to follow. There is nothing like going into the unknown without a map