Type I Diabetes and Alcohol

I was diagnosed with type I diabetes recently, and being a college student I was wondering what exactly is the deal with alcohol. My doctor just told me not to drink on an empty stomach, but I guess I want to know in more detail what is going on just to be safe.
Thank You!

First off…as a mom… I say…don’t drink!!! Then… realistically I say… the paper that my son was given for “Potential Temporary Basal Rates of Specific Activities” says:

"* Alcohol ( 2 or more drinks) decrease by 60% when drinking for a duration of up to 8 hrs to prevent hypoglycemia. "

but… then is says: use caution. Do you MDI or pump??? My son is 16 and someday will be in your shoes… please be careful.

I have a couple of drinks but you have to be careful. Alcohol slows the natural output of glucose from your liver. So if you have dinner at say 7-8pm then go out drinking at like 10pm-1am or something you will go low in the middle of the night and suffer from hypoglycemia. It may seem crazy, but you should actually have some carbs when you drink alcohol, that’s what I do.

Thanks for the replies. I am currently on the pump.
So as long as I have a meal with carbs in it before i drink, and I carry some sugar with me at all times, i will greatly reduce the chances that hypoglycemia will occur. Is this the correct reasoning?
Also, i am always able to detect hypoglycemia because I know how it feels, but does having alcohol in your system impair your ability to detect this?

It does not impair the ability to detect hypoglycemia. However, if you get drunk and have a severe hypoglycemia, 1) noone will notice and they will not help you because they’ll think you’re just drunk, 2) the GlucaGen Hypokit (glucagon injection) will not work to raise your blood sugar because your liver will be busy metabolizing alcohol. It helps to eat some carbs and fat when drinking. Carbs raise your BG and fat helps with the liver thing.

So… if you drink whiskey, vodka and so, decrease your basal rates. I usually decrease them by 40-70%, depending on other circumstances - for example if you’re going to dance, lower the basal rates more :slight_smile:

Mixed drinks usually contain sugar besides alcohol, so they will sharply raise your BG and then lower it. What I do is that I give myself a bolus to cover the sugar in the drink and then I turn off my basal rates for about 2-3 hours, so that when the alcohol kicks in I don’t go low.

I don’t drink beer but if I did, I would probably use the same approach as with mixed drinks because beer is supposed to have a high glycemic index…but I really don’t know with this one…

Wine, unless it is a dessert wine, is OK without any adjustments to basals. It usually does nothing to your BG. One glass of wine has 1-3 grams of carbs, so the effect of carbs and alcohol cancel out.

One last thing: drink only to that point when you are still able to manage your blood sugars. because when you’re drunk and potentially unconscious, nobody will do that for you :o)

Alcohol in your system can impair your ability to detect anything!

Besides having some carbs before and carrying sugar, I would also let your friends know that if something should happen and you pass out, not to “assume” that it is because you drank too much and get help for you. EMTs would be able to check your BS and decide if you passed out because of low bS or too much alcohol.

I am sure that you don’t want to check your BS when you are having fun, but if you can, that would probably be a good idea also so you know for sure where your BS is until you know what different drinks do to you.

I have a friend who has been a T1 for almost 15 years, and despite being “in control” with an A1C in the mid 5s, he still loves to go out with friends and drink.

His typical approach is to have some carbs with his drinks - he never drinks on an empty stomach. I’m not sure what his strategy is on insulin adjustment.

Despite his knowledge on the subject of drinking with type 1 diabetes, he has still had his share of scary incidents, including passing out and having the EMTs called. He also told me that if he’s been drinking a lot he sometimes doesn’t feel lows coming on, but at least his medtronic pump should be able to tell him if his BG is falling quickly.

As a recent grad I know the desire to go out with friends and enjoy the college life. Just be careful.

Francois,
I recommend that you get a CGM - continuous glucose monitor - to have besides your pump if you plan on drinking. Sometimes college students get so into the party they forget to test. A monitor with an alarm can prevent your being unaware of a rapid drop. Be certain you have at least one friend who knows how this all works.

Just an FYI, I’ve been a type 1 for nearly 14 years and I have a beer every night. I’ve also lost the ability to detect a hypoglycemia like I used to. Years ago, I’d break out in a sweat and feel faint. Now, my only symptom is the inability to focus my eyes to read. So don’t rely on the symptoms you have now forever.

Just be careful, only have 1 or 2 drinks and never drink on an empty stomach. I’d see how you do with 1, and go from there. Even experts say never have more than 2 drinks since you don’t taste anything, you’re just wanting to get drunk. And drinking too much is truly a danger for a diabetic.

Just be careful and take care of yourself.

OH… make sure you have a bracelet or necklace w/ your info on it that says you are diabetic… might be good incase someone doesn’t know and you pass out.

The “golden rule” for diabetes and alcohol is no more than 1 drink for women and no more than 2 for men. However, the amount our system will tolerate depends on the individual metabolic system. Also, do NOT drink without having some food; these two suggestions are the safe method, at least for me. I enjoy white wine, a glass of beer now and then, a tiny bit of brandy at bedtime occasionally but no hard liquor other than the brandy.

A “game” that I played when young was to order a coke with a squeeze of lemon; no one new that I had no alcohol; they just assumed I did! :-)) Everyone is usually busy talking and pays little attention. But if they do, why not admit you drink very light and want to enjoy the evening without indulging too much. BE a role model for your peers!

:-))

From my experience i stick to Light beer and clear liquor.

Most light beers Coors light, Miller light Bud light have very little carb in them. So they will burn off pretty fast for the most part you will experience drops with alcohol as others have stated.

Diet and Bacardi, Gin and tonic, Shots of vodka are pretty safe but from my experience i do drop a bit late at night if i have been out partying with friends. I usually try to eat a salad or something low in carb so the alcohol is absorbed a bit slower. Where i’ve had problems is bolus for carbs I ate on top of the alcohol drank.

You get almost a doubling affect and that can send you low. I know a lot of diabetics and most socially drink. Your results may very but if u do decided to get bombed make sure you have snacks with you and friends to watch out for u. Also wear your medic id at all times! Again this from my own experience so don’t take it as gospel. I’ve passed out from over drinking but never from my diabetes. I also test quite a bit when i’m drinking. If your control is poor i would suggest not drinking until your numbers are in a good range. Yo/Yo’ing with your sugars while on alcohol or anything else is like playing Russian roulette.