Upcoming Event: Diabetes Alert Day! March 25th

Hello all. Been awhile since I have been on. I have been busy.

Locally I hope to be apart of Diabetes Alert Day, in anyway that helps get the word out. I have been in touch with my local ADA office and I am aware of what is happening. I have also viewed what the ADA Nationally is doing for this day (www.diabetes.org/alert). Check it out.

What Is American Diabetes Alert Day?

The American Diabetes Alert Day is a one-day, “wake-up” call to inform the American public about the seriousness of diabetes. The American Diabetes Association encourages people to take the Diabetes Risk Test and find out if they are at risk for developing diabetes. Observed on the fourth Tuesday of every March, the 20th annual American Diabetes Alert Day is Tuesday, March 25, 2008.
Why is Diabetes Alert Day important?

• Nearly 21 million children and adults in the U.S. have diabetes

• One-third of those or more than six million do not know they have diabetes

• One in five Americans is at risk for developing type 2 diabetes

For many, diagnosis may come seven to ten years after the onset of the disease. Therefore, early diagnosis is critical to successful treatment and delaying or preventing some of its complications such as heart disease, blindness, kidney disease, stroke, amputation and death.

Everyone should be aware of the risk factors for type 2 diabetes. People who are overweight, under active (living a sedentary lifestyle), and over the age of 45 should consider themselves at risk for the disease. African Americans, Latinos, Native Americans, and people who have a family history of the disease are at an increased risk for type 2 diabetes.
What is the Diabetes Risk Test?

On Diabetes Alert Day, the American Diabetes Association will “Sound the Alert” about the dangers of diabetes. People are encouraged to take the Diabetes Risk Test. The risk test requires users to answer seven simple questions about weight, age, lifestyle and family history – all potential risk factors for diabetes. People scoring 10 points or more are at a high risk for type 2 diabetes and are encouraged to see a health care professional for further evaluation.