Update on Dexcom G5 3-Month Transmitter Battery Life

@Laura11 - The G4 transmitter has a 6 month warranty and usually lasted at least 9 months. The G5 transmitter uses Bluetooth transmissions to update the smart phone, something the G4 did not do. So the form factor had to be increased to accommodate the larger battery and the warranty needed to be decreased to 3 months for the same reason.

Dexcom is now shipping 2 G5 transmitters (US) for an equivalent warranty situation to the G4. For these two transmitters they are only charging the price of 1 G4 transmitter. Unfortunately, Dexcom has hard-wired the life of the G5 transmitter to 3 months + 3 weeks.

2 Likes

@Laura11: You might be eligible for COBRA.

@Laura11 - If you could exchange your unopened G5 for a G4, you would have the advantage of longer lasting transmitters to keep your overall CGM cost down when you lose coverage. I would then order another G4 transmitter exactly 6 months after receipt of the last one. The sensors are common to both the G4 and G5. Without the G5 you would lose the ability to display directly on an iPhone without a Dex receiver nearby.

yes ask your HR dept or person for info on going on COBRA

I’d calculate your estimated costs before planning to go with COBRA.

It’s certainly better than going without insurance, but you’re talking about $500+/month premiums (and closer to $1000/month may not be out of the question).

EDIT- Plus, you’re still going to have to pay the out-of-pocket expenses your insurance normally wouldn’t cover.

FYI everyone, I just got my “Pair new transmitter” screen on my iPhone. Exactly 14 days after my initial warning that my transmitter battery was running low.

1 Like

Did this stop your first G5 transmitter from functioning? Or was this just a warning?

It loses partial functionality. The trend graph still works but the current number goes away.

Having issues posting sorry for the double post.

Thanks for the update, Mike! If memory serves, this coming Sunday will be 14 days after my daughter’s initial warning regarding her G-5 transmitter. Fortunately, we have the next G-5 transmitter ready and waiting.

Don’t let it happen again. Here on TuD, we kill people for much less. :wink: :laughing:

Great. Yes I just scanned my new one and I’m good to go.

Mike – Did the Dexcom receiver lose some functionality?

At least in the USA you get two transmitters (= 6 months life). In the UK the G5 transmitters are supplied as “singles” each of which costs the same £300 (US$450) as a G4 transmitter. Since the G4 transmitters would last 9 or so months, this makes the cost of the G5 systems three times that of the G4.

I talked to a rep for Advanced Therapeutics who are UK agents for Dexcom. He told me that Dexcom charge them the same for a single G5 as they did for a single G4, so this is a Dexcom policy decision.

Joel

Hey Terry - honestly, once I got the scan new transmitter message I just scanned the new one, popped it on my current sensor and moved on.

Hi everyone. I’m wondering if some of you might be able to answer couple of questions:

(1) does the 90+ day lifespan for the g5 transmitter begin from the first time you set up the transmitter, or when the transmitter is produced at the factory (sorry if this is a dumb question!)? (basically, I received the g5 about 3 months ago but it took me 3 weeks to get it up and running, so when did my countdown begin?)

(2) I haven’t received the 22 day battery dying notification yet, but my dexcom numbers are not as spot on as they usually are – as in, even with normal calibrations, the past two sensors have not been very accurate. Realize this could be a sensor issue, but since I’m coming up on my 3 months of use of the transmitter, figured I’d ask about this too…

Thanks for your insight!

All best,
Sophie

(1) The countdown begins when the transmitter is removed from the box.
(2) My best guess is that this is a sensor issue.

1 Like

Thanks very much for the response, Helmut. Much appreciated!

@Laura11 I hope you are aware now that under Obamacare, you can’t be denied health insurance due to a pre-existing condition! That’s one of the huge benefits of this law. It could be expensive, but it will depend on your income, and you can choose a plan that is affordable for you. As a self-employed person with type 1, I’m SO grateful for this. Good luck!

After ordering a G5 system, I was able to get ahold of my nephew’s used G4 receiver and an unused transmitter. So, the G5 is in storage until I use up all my G4 transmitters. Is there any limit to the length of time the G5 system can be stored? I could see me use these G4 materials for up to a year.