Update on Dexcom G5 3-Month Transmitter Battery Life

Not sure if this is based on your experience or some other info? G4 and G5 sensors are exactly the same. There should be no differences in how long they last. G4 and G5 transmitters are different.

Uhh, thatā€™s not how itā€™s been explained to me. G5 has a hard shutdown date of around 112 days. G4ā€™s can go beyond a year.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the transmitters, not the sensors. The sensors are the same - or at least compatible. Against the label, people re-start them for multiple weeks, though theyā€™re supposed to be just for 7 days.

3 Likes

Ahh, ok. Thanks!

Iā€™m getting my G5 CGM any day now, so you say Iā€™m supposed to restart the sensor so it lasts beyond the 7 days? Trying to learn all the tricks.

Technically, youā€™re not ā€œsupposed toā€, but everyone I know who utilizes the amazing Dexcom CGM system does. Unless they enjoy spending more money (either out of pocket or on [ridiculously high] copays) for sensors.

Additionally, many Dexcommers swear by the fact that they get even more accurate readings after week 1. (Until the sensor begins its death throes, which for a lucky few donā€™t begin until some time after Day 30!)

Waste not, want notā€¦

Bet youā€™ll love Dexcom and at some point will wonder how you got by without it. Good luck and let us know your impressions. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Tandy - clearly you do not like and have not had a good experience with the G5 and Iā€™m sorry for that. However, making statements like ā€œit simply does not work and the FDA screwed up by approving the g5ā€ are simply not true. The G5 is excellent for many (including myself) and yes, the G4 worked fine but the G5 is a step forward for many. I donā€™t want Dexcom to stop innovating. Also, the sensors are exactly the same as the G4.

3 Likes

I should actually suspend Dexcom shipments for a while - i have too much stock - but with my UHC insurance, Iā€™m constantly afraid that theyā€™ll cut off my supply, so even though I use sensors multiple weeks, i keep ordering more. I know, stupid and wastefulā€¦

That said, yes, I DO get better results the second and even the third week of a sensor, extended ā€œlife.ā€ I also like to extend them for convenience ā€“ with both pump and CGM sites vying for ā€œreal estateā€ I like to limit site changes when I can. In addition, I find that I can not sleep on the side of my body that had pump site or Dexcom sensor without interfering with the performance of one or both of those devices. As a result, I use the sensor site as a gauge regarding which side to place new infusion sets ā€“ alternating sides every 2-3 weeks has given me what seems to me an optimal balance between good sleep and working technology. (Sure, i can sleep on my back, but not exclusively :smile:)

1 Like

One caveat ā€“ I do want Dexcom to continue to support/produce the G4 until something is available that will both work with existing technology (like the Animas Vibe, and T:Slim/G4), and give those of use who have poor performance from the G5 an ideal option.

Iā€™ve commented many times: We need choices!

3 Likes

absolutely agree 100%!!!

I returned to the G4 several days ago. I like the longer transmitter life and the dark screen at night. The white background G5 overpowers my sleep adapted eyes ā€“ a waste of power, too. Plus I donā€™t have to tend to every alert on both my receiver and my phone.

2 Likes

Glad you could switch back - I still send my data to a phone, but turn off most alerts on the phone - especially at night. In fact, I have my phone/watch alerts set more aggressively than the receiver - helps me a bit with my ā€œsurfingā€ attempts.

1 Like

I donā€™t understnad why these devices donā€™t have a setting that allows switching between a white or a black background (well, actually, the Contour Next meter does, but thatā€™s the only one Iā€™ve seen with such a setting). I find a white backlit screen much more glare-y and difficult to see than a black screen with backlit white letters. I have all my devices - phone, computer, tablet, video magnifiers - set to a black background with white letters, and Iā€™ve chosen pumps and meters and fitness trackers that have black backgrounds. Hopefully white backgrounds arenā€™t the new trend in diabetes devices (newer OneTouch meters and the Libre also have white backgrounds), at least not unless they start incorporating such a setting.

2 Likes

This IS good news. Iā€™m close to my first-ever 3-month with my G5 & after reading all the info about how it doesnā€™t last as long as G4, I was feeling really disheartened. Iā€™ve learned that I can reliably use the sensors beyond the 1-week time frame, but have been dreading the shut-down message on the transmitter. Anxious to see how well that goes.

I love my G5 but only had it 2 days. :slight_smile: I love being able to send it to my phone and not carry another receiver. I doubt I would ever go back to the G4 especially with the G6 coming out. Even if you go back I cant imagine they will keep the G4 around for long after the G6 comes out.

My transmitter only lasted one day when I got the warning that it was my last 7 days of use. When I used the second one from my shipment, I didnā€™t realize I had to enter the serial number for the new one. Once I did that it worked fine. How do others keep track of when it will die so as to not run out of transmitters?

I suspect the G4 transmitter will be around for several mores years. It is integrated into several insulin pumps. It will certainly be supported during the pump warranty period. Iā€™m thinking a more-accurate G6 will attract many G4 users when it happens.

During the month that I have used the G5 it has been extremely unreliable. I have found that it does maintain a signal better with the Dexcom receiver than with the iphone. This may be a problem with the app, rather than the iphone. I use a Fitbit smart watch for running (I wear the watch 24/7) and it never has a problem connecting through its app. (The Fitbit app also connects via Bluetooth to measure steps and other activities all dayā€“24/7.) The Dexcom transmitter seems to lose signal at random times every day and often at nights. I cannot figure out what causes signal loss or restoration. I have found that if I keep the transmitter snug against me by using an ace bandage wrap to wrap around my waist area where the transmitter is, the signal loss seems to be less frequent. Otherwise, I lose signal even more often. When I run I have found that I have to be extremely careful to use extra tape around the transmitter to hold it in place from the sweat. I now realize that the representations from the people who encouraged me to use this were absurd. Thanks for sharing hints in this blog for minimizing signal loss.

Please let us know how your 3-month replacement goes.
I am amazed that you can use sensors more than 1 week. I have never had one last an entire week. Mine always stop functioning prior to 7 days and then I just go a few days without anything.

Iā€™m curious what you mean by ā€œI now realize that the representations from the people who encouraged me to use this were absurd.ā€

Iā€™ve been thrilled with my G5. As always YDMV.

1 Like