Victoza and Insulin?

I'm going to be seeing my endo next week and have heard so much good about victoza...but can you take it if you're on insulin? I'm currently taking novolog and lantus...Had been taking Symlin but couldn't afford it...

My boss has been taking it about 2 months and has dropped 30 lbs...but he's only on metformin...

Appreciate any feedback!

Gwen

Gwen, I am on insulin and take Victoza. It absolutely does work but you have to be very careful because one of Victoza's side-affects is reducing the glucose produced in the liver so if you have a low blood sugar your body does not have as strong a natural defense against it. It has however dropped my daily insulin usage by about 20 units (some long-term but mostly mealtime) and I have lost weight on it but I started taking Victoza the same time I started karate so I can't really give you a good estimate of how much weight was from the Victoza. If you're type 1 the insurance probably won't cover it (my doctor's been supplying me with samples) and if you're type 2 it will probably be the highest copay tier but from my experiences if you can afford it it would probably be worth it.

Thanks! Glad to hear you did well. Yes I’m T2…definitely gonna talk to her…I can’t seem to lose any weight…

I am Type II and have been taking Victoza along w/Metformin since December. It has not been the "miracle drug" for me like it has for some. I have lost a few lbs but attribute it to self discipline, doing yoga 3 days a week and just being good. My blood sugar level isn't lowering at all it stays steady in the 130-140's even with adding Metformin back in.
Good Luck!

Gwen,
I started Victoza in October. I'm T1 since the last 13 years and I had a lot of problems to lose weight even doing exercice every day & diet. With Victoza I lost 9 kgs and I am very very happy. The only problem is that here in Portugal we don't have Victoza and I have to buy it in Spain. It cost me 75€ (98$) every 10 days as I'm on the higher dose so you can imagine. Now I'm trying to reduce at 1.2 but I'm worried about gaining weight again. So try it and you will see.

I've been on Victoza now for about 3 years. I originally started on it when i was misdiagnosed as a type II. about 2 years ago i was correctly diagnosed as a type 1, or LADA. i was on Byetta for 3-4 years prior to victoza and did lose a little weight on byetta, but haven't dropped anything since being on victoza. i stay on it now for the reduced insulin requirement. i've skipped taking the victoza for about a week and noticed my blood sugars were running much higher. so for now, and becuase my insurance still covers it, i'm staying on it.

Hi Gayle, I’ve been on victoza for a little over 2 years and I have had wonderful results. I take synthoid and victoza. I was t2 but victoza changed all that for me. Recently, I was in a ladies bathroom waiting for a stall to take my injection. A woman saw my medication through a plastic bag and said that she was on the victoza medication for 1 year and got off because her husband who is a dr told her it can cause heart problems. Now, I started to look at the dangers of victoza and knew about them but they seemed to have increased. Lawsuits and such and now I’m scared. Are you still on victoza? How long have you been on it? I keep on wanting to say, that all medications work differently for every person and that many have taken it for a long period of time. Any comments would be appreciated from someone who has success with it.