Warshaw Interview

Great questions, @Terry4 and @BadMoonT2. Thanks for adapting :smile:

2 Likes

I have never understood why there has been so much grief about carbs. I have been living in the BĆŖtes world since the food exchange days
and no one has said to me eat a bunch of carbs (we called it starch in the old days. Each meal could have one bread exchange and one fruit exchange x 3 meals a day = about 90 carbs. Each bread and fruit exchange was suppose to be about 15 grams of carbs. I had no idea who
Hope Warshaw was until I looked her up. I do not remember any of the dozen or so diabetes educators I have had the privilege to meet mention her name or recommend one of her books. I have been seeing Doctors at the Texas University Medical School for over Twenty years, they are professorā€™s of Endocrinology, teach new doctors the basics of Diabetes and none of them have said you can eat lots of carbs. My CDE/RN/CPE also teaches at the school and she has always said low carb, low carb, low carb, and thereā€™s about 500 insulin pumpers that go to the UTSW Endocrinology clinic and I can assure you that no one there is preaching a High Carb Diet.

There are many people making a living off of Diabetesā€¦buyer beware

1 Like

Iā€™m always glad to hear stories of folks who make it work in terms of managing their diabetes. So Bravo, JohnGā€¦But, "If you wish to manage Diabetes by the book, then you need to write a new book for every diabetic. "

When I read about the exchanges system, Iā€™m afraid it didnā€™t make sense to me. For me, it is simpler to just count carbs and try to make them healthy carbsā€¦Blessings

The plan for the exchange system was an improvement over the pee roulette folks have recounted from diabetes a long time ago @Judith_in_Portland. The way R/NPH (maybe the ther insulins tooā€¦), the doc would calculate a dosage and youā€™d have one shot in the AM (mixing the two insulinsā€¦). The R would cover a chunk of carbs for breakfast and the NPH would do both basal but the ā€œpeakā€ would ā€œcoverā€ the lunchtime pile of carbs. The contents of the pile didnā€™t matter so you could have a serving of noodles or a piece of bread for an ā€œexchangeā€ and ā€œeat whatever you wantā€ although, of course, I didnā€™t pay that much attention to serving sizes as I was dxā€™ed as a teenaged boy. I agree that counting carbs is both simpler and much more effective however I donā€™t think they had nutrition labels when I was dxā€™ed. A quick look at wikipedia suggests those date to 1990?

1 Like

I have been t1d since 1936
Iam now 81 years old
I always ate & still do a balanced meal
Carb
Protein
Vegetable & fruit

2 Likes

Thanks Shoshana, ARā€¦I also have a laymanā€™s love of reading history. It occurs to me, that I have read several memoirs by folks with The Dā€”I havenā€™t read nearly enough straight up history on the subjectā€¦Blessings

@acidrock23, sorry to quibble, but at least in my case ā€œpee rouletteā€ (LOL!) and the exchange system were all part of the same treatment protocol when I was diagnosed. They were not mutually exclusive by any stretch.

I was given a book at the hospital in 1973, that discussed the exchange system and my internist talked about it a bit as an option for quickly figuring out meal planning. Basically, I was to use the exchange system to eat and the pee system to see how well I did in matching food with insulin delivery. Again, in my case, there were no insulin correction dosages. If I was high, the correction was to stop/reduce eating until the pee showed being back in range. Also, I was only on NPH once every morning. Over time, if I was always high, the dosage would increase. low the dosage decreased.

When I first came home from the hospital, my mom decided she was not a fan of the exchange system, so my doctor gave her targets for grams of carbs, protein, fat, and total calories for three meals a day, plus a snack before bed. She bought several books that had nutrition info on foods and then, created a binder with pages and pages and pages of meals that matched the targets (did I mention my mom was great?). I still remember that one pat of butter has 4 g of fat, which equals 45 calories.

1 Like

Judith, if you have already read it, you might enjoy this book about the discovery insulin. Itā€™s more about the personalities of the people involved and the human drama than it is about the science. I quite enjoyed it. http://www.amazon.com/Breakthrough-Elizabeth-Discovery-Insulin-Medical-ebook/dp/B003P9XM4Y/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1432219924&sr=8-6&keywords=banting+diabetes

Iā€™ve been a carb counter from the early beginnings which for me were high carb 4 bread exchanges ~60carb/meal and Usually a glass of milk with each meal. Iā€™m not a g=big fan of the low carb craze but maybe thatā€™s because it was early ingrained into my quite thick skull. As we all know there is not one be all end all diet for diabetes because of differences in metabolism and digestion speeds excercise effects etc.

As many have mentioned in previous posts I think it would be nice to as questions are added maybe the number of likes per question could be summed up or have an additional Question Voting tag such as Vote Up vote down as some people might want to like someones post even if they might not like the question.

In summary I think for Emilyā€™s sake having a list at the top post or just under the introducing post, post #2 We can have a list of existing proposed questions and selected questions that will most likely be asked during the interview.

That Questions List could be updated as new questions are added into the Selected (To be asked) Proposed (undecided) lists/piles.
Iā€™m not sure if anyone is for this type of formatting or if itā€™s even possible. If it is possible to add a likes option or even a dislikes option per question could be counted and give those planning on attending a better result for possible questions.
I agree with Emily as quoted by @BadMoonT2 into lets just let the topic stay what itā€™s destined to be but open up the floor to more discreet questions on her thoughts relating to her choice of diet. Let me know your thoughts as too proposed formatting issue for debates of discussion questions for upcoming interviews
Thank you for broaching this discussion @Judith_in_Portland

When I eat out I Pretend the Pizza can fit this many slices of bread as a visual representation of carb in pizza :slight_smile: or you can bring a cardboard cutout of a slice of a 15carb bread and carry in a pocket :lollipop: Ā« lol auto complete : lol : is :laughing: ;laughing; here.
Same goes with the 30g per Cup of potatoes corn etc.

Mike