We are new at all of this! Help!

Our 12 year old daughter was diagnosed type 1 on New Years eve 09-10! I feel that things have gone very well! ALthough I peridically hit road blocks when things aren’t working and I’m not sure why!??

You have just begun a long process of learning and dealing with this disease - reaching out to other parents going through the same thing is so important - and, although I’m new to this forum, have found it to be an invaluable resource. Your daughter is likely still in her ‘honeymoon’ period. One of the things thisCAN mean is that her pancreas may still be working, on some level, in some capacity. That can make things a bit wacky event if you’re doing things exactly as you’ve been taught to do .

Is there something specific you’re having trouble with?

All of us who been where you are (newly diagnosed), I’m sure are with you in heart as you go through this process.

You poor thing! My heart just breaks for you and your family

Tomorrow makes a year since our then-6 year old was diagnoses. Our lives in many ways entered a neverending nightmare, but in many others, we’ve grown stronger than we can possibly imagine!

What we help you with? What can I help you with?

Hang in there…no one will ever understand what it’s like unless they’ve been there. Luckily (???) we all have, and can understand and relate

Ali

Hi Jeannine,

Welcome to the group. You will find a cadre of parents here who understand what you are going through. My daughter was diagnosed last Sept 30 just before her 12th birthday so they are similar in age. At this age, growth hormones can have a very interesting impact on BGs. My daughter just went through a growth spurt where is grew 1 inch in a little more than a month. To say that we got some wacky readings would be an understatement.

Please post any specific questions and you will find good responses from this group. We have been there and understand what you and your daughter are facing on a daily basis.

Larry

My 11 year old daughter was diagnosed in November of '09. I found that when we hit any “roadblocks” we just tested more often. Sometimes, it would mean me getting up in the middle of the night to check her blood glucose, but it has been worth it. The best decision that I made was to get her a pump. They are pricey, but very much worth the expense.

We still have days where nothing seems to be working the same. She gets too low or too high and don’t know why (her activity level is the same and she ate the same thing that day as she had the day before). It can be frustrating and bring back feelings from diagnosis, but just remember that it is the overall picture that you need to look at and not the snapshot in time.

Let me know if there is anything specific that I can help you with. Our children are near the same age and I may be able to give you some input or just be a “shoulder” for you.

Ursela

That’s tough news for a youngster and her family. I got T1 as an adult - do the best you can but don’t assume you or your daughter should have perfection in treatment as a goal. This site will provide wonderful support for you but make sure you have assembled a really good medical support team that includes both a GP and a pediatric endrochinologist. You want people who can be acessed 24/7. One thing you might watch out for the first couple of years is an expected change in medication as the “honeymoon” period ceases. The honeymoon period of low insulin requirements gradually stops as the autoimmune system finally kills off all of those cells that naturally produce insulin. There are a few medical research programs out there for newly diagnosed T1’s that attempt to save those cells. Have your endro. check in to any nearby projects - it’s assumed that if a cure is finally found, those who still have “beta” cells will see the benifit first. We are all grateful for the many choices in treatment available today - a couple of generations past and this would have been a terminal diagnosis. As for road blocks, sugar and foods in general are not the only things that affect BG readings. Dental problems, hormonal changes, sleep deprivation, exercise, medication issues with heat or site administration, the list can go on and on… keep testing frequently and keep an activity/food diary. It’s sad to give a 10 year old a full time job but she will be a stronger person as she learns to manage this disease under your care.

I took type 1 when I was 10 and then about 15 years later my oldest took Type 1 as an 11 year old. It does get hard but when you feel like it’s all over but the crying your daughter will surprise you! HOLD TIGHT YOU GUYS CAN DO THIS!!!

You sound like you are doing very well. Consider that your daughter was diagnosed in the middle of puberty, possibly the most challenging time of all, when hormones and intense growth spurts weak havoc with blood sugar control, particularly in the evenings and overnight. Things will get a lot easier in a year or two. Hang in there! Test often evenings and overnights and adjust as necessary. Large temporary increases in basals are not uncommon. This will stablize and another pattern will emerge after she starts her period.

My son was diagnosed 11/30/09 at age 13. It was very exhausting emotionally and took quite a while to learn all the ins and outs and we are still learning. He just got the Omnipod and we’re having some learning curve issues with that as well. It’s an emotional roller coaster at times. My son is very good with shots but it’s been kind of hard “being different” as he is at that age where they just want to fit in and be “normal”. He is also growing a ton so we’ve have some wild fluctuations. I’ve personally have been very emotional these last 7 months. I have a pretty good support network and have met some really nice people who’s kids also have type 1. Can’t imagine going through this before the existing technology and the internet for information and support. I know these kids will be okay but they have to grow up a bit sooner than their peers and we as parents have to deal with things we never thought we’d ever deal with… Only those who experience this can truly get it. Hang in there.

Since diagnosis we all have b een doing well! Our daughter never complains about shots , food or anything but lately she gets upset when she gets low! Even when we change nothing- She is very active, she plays soccer and softball! We have found that drinkin g G2 during games and workouts helps her form dropping low afterwards! I guess my frustration is that just when i thnk “we’ve got it” … things change! She becomes low or high! We will have one day work perfectly and same activity and everything and then boom>>>! She is on clear and cloudy-Humalog and Humalin! I have heard some have less lows on Lantis! Any thoughts??? Thanks for listening ! I do feel I am rambling on but at least you all have been there and underestand! Thanks Jeannine

I have never been on blogs before! When I relpy does it go to all of you who responded to my conversation??! Thanks JEannine

yes if you hit reply here we all get it…

Pre-pump, my daughter was on Lantus and we had quite a few lows on it. My recommendation would be to get her on a pump as soon as possible. My daughter has been on the pump since March and we have been able to limit her lows to maybe 2 a week (versus 5 or 6 pre-pump and on Lantus). We are in the process of obtaining a continuous glucose monitor. We hope to lower the number of lows even more.

As for getting upset when she is low, is she afraid of being low? The first day my daughter was on the pump, we stacked insulin (she had some prepump insulin and we gave her a correction using the pump). She went low FAST. We were walking in the store and her legs suddenly went limp and I had to practically hold her up while giving her juice from the carton right off the shelf. Since then, she has gets nervous when she gets lower than 100.

I have mentioned to her about the pump, I can’t say that she is receptive about it yet! She did have one bad low when her excercise was too close to her peeking— We had to keep treating the low for 2 hours… then she got sick to her stomach, it was a mess… I think she still has that in her mind! I also know that she likes when she is at a good number- so when she is low or going low she hates how she feels! Oh well it’s that rollercoaster i was talking about!
Jeannine

I have a 12 year old daughter with diabetes dx in 2008… what road blocks are u hitting? Right now ours is puberty… the hormones changes are really effecting her sugars… they spike up for a week then we are ok for another then it spikes up … always adjusting insulins so I keep a real close look at her by record keeping . In a notebook we keep a food log ( for themost part she is good with tracking her foods) and then I chart her sugars on form that lets me look ather sugars across the day quickly … i have to do with with my son too just because he likes to drop without any reasons :slight_smile: ANYTHING i can help you with please ask because I remember how it was … my son was diagnosed at 18 months so I have feel like I have been there and done that… however its always so much more to learn :slight_smile: Godbless

Our time of diagnosis for my son (Christmas Eve-2007) was such a whirlwind of emotion…it was hard to believe that it was happening and all that was involved with taking care of it. It will certainly change your life. If you would have told me the day before that he would be sticking his finger 5-10 times a day and taking 4-6 shots everyday, I would not have believed you. However, you do what you have to do and life goes on. I dont think I would call it normal daily life, but it is hard to remember a time when we weren’t dealing with it. He barely remembers anything about life without diabetes. I do worry about him dealing with everything on his own as he gets older. Since I have 3 older children, I know the day is coming where he doesn’t want mom on his back all the time about checking and dosing. We will deal with that, too, when we get to it. Just don’t get down on yourself about it. There will be periods of unexplainable highs and lows, and you just do the best you can. I can’t help but feel that his A1C is my report card as to how well I manage it, and I have to keep telling myself that I am doing my best.

Hello My 10 year old daughter was just diagnosed recently and I can understand where you are coming from. We found a group on here for children as well called kids with diabetes. We are starting cheerleading now, 4 days a week for 2 hours each and BS is everywhere. The road blocks never seem to stop. This Site is full of groups and info and people are always answering quickly. I have been on here maybe a couple of weeks and I have gotten more real hands on info than from a lot of the education classes we went to, Good luck and have your daughter join the kids with diabetes, amelia is on there just waiting to talk.

This is a great place to talk to people! One bit of advice concerning sports, because our daughter plays premier soccer and fast pitch! G2(Gatorade 2–low carb) really helps her not to fall low during AND AFTER practice and games! She drinks (sips) G2 during her work outs and this seems to really help! Good luck! I guess we have also learned that there will always be road blocks- it’s never going to be figured out! The one constant things is that nothing is normal and constant! Don’t worry-- you will all do fine! The one thing we do is live diabetes “one day at a time” !!!
Good luck