Weird troubles with morning sugars

I have been struggling with this same issue. My basal rates have been changed to deal with it, but so far there’s been little improvement. I, too, sleep in on weekends and wake up way lower than during the week. I am up by 5:30 on weekdays, and will notice a definite rise after getting ready for work in the morning (I can wake up at 90 and be in the 180’s 1 hour later!). This causes me to be high pretty much all morning. So, besides playing with basal rates, I have found the following “tricks” seem to work a bit: 1) getting up and eating right away, as someone else has mentioned. Rather than eat breakfast after getting ready, I eat it before. My 1 hour post prandials are still high, but 2 hours later I’m in range most of the time 2) Exercising in the morning (Hard to do for me, because that’d mean getting up at 4:30 to workout everyday. I can do it once in a while, but not often!) I think some of my problem is related to stress hormones, too, not just DP. I hope you’ve gotten something from this post…I was just excited to see that I’m not the only one who experiences this!!

I bought into the fallacy that if I do the exact same thing my bg will be the same. I came up with some pretty strange theories based on my bg tests. For example, I thought that a shower would render insulin less effective because my bg was higher after the shower than before. Recently I got a CGM and became to accept that not all days are the same. On most days my bg is kind of steady until I get up. The moment I get out of bed my bg starts to rise drastically. About 50 points in 30 minutes. I can see on my CGM when I got of out bed. I inject right away to curb the rise. In about 1 out of 10 days my bg refuses to rise when I get out of bed and the injection steers me towards a low before breakfast. I have to drink OJ to prevent the low whereas on ‘normal’ days I have to wait for my bg to come down enough for breakfast. To cut a long story short: I am so glad to be out of the business of bg forecasting. The CGM shows me the bg trend and I can react much faster. Bg forecasting is rocket science, reacting to CGM readout is child’s play.

Wow, we sound exactly alike with our problems! It is nice to know you’re not alone, for sure and I’ve gotten quite a lot of insight from everyone’s responses, it’s been wonderful. So today I woke up 82, felt in the 80s and still feeling good. Typical, so long as I stay under 90 when I wake up, the sugars remain stable throughout the morning. Thanks for writing!

Yes but what we are looking for when doing this is consistancy. What happens if the left hand shows 90 but the right 180? What if both hands show 90 but the forearms show 150? If blood pools in an area more than another and you get a different reading then you can learn that because you tend to sleep on your right side, testing on the right hand may not be a good idea and that maybe you get a more realistic reading by testing on the forearm. Again, what I said was that there may be a circulation issue when she sleeps that prevents the blood from circulating properly and the sugar that is in the fingertips is being used up locally. If her forearm shows 180 in the morning and her blood sugar remains flat after that at 180 then problem solved.

Ken

We must be kindred spirits! I do the exact same. I’ve also thought mine might be the coffee. I lace it with sugar free flavored creamer which has a few carbs but not enough for the spike I get. I bouht some tea today and am testing that in the morning. Hopefully it is specifically coffee and not caffeine in general.

My last A1C was not what I wanted (7.3) so I decided I’ve put off seeing if this was the coffee long enough. time to address it. Plus, when I go high I often will go low if I overcorrect.

We really must be! I have found I have to stay away from any creamer in my coffee because even though it shouldn’t do much of anything to my sugar, it raises my sugar far more than it should (I like it black anyway, luckily!). I drink one or two cups of coffee every morning, so I don’t think that is a problem for me. It’s just when I wake up over 90 that anything goes. I woke up 92 this morning, so we’ll see what happens. Either I’ll remain okay, or I’ll find myself in the 200s before long. But think it might actually remain okay (I’ve been up for a little over an hour, and usually will know by now what’s going to happen). So the spikes (though rare now, thank God) will remain a mystery… Anyway, good luck with the tea! Let me know how things go : )