What are you eating?

Hi everyone,

I’m still very new to this since I’m only about 4 weeks pregnant… having a hard to finding that perfect food that doesn’t give a 1-hour post-meal spike. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile: K

What’s been working well for me is some sort of veggies with a whole wheat english muffin (make sure there is no HFCS in it) with egg beaters, low fat cheese and some lean meat (getting to be my regular dinner). I’ve also switched EVERYTHING to brown - brown rice, whole wheat pasta, low carb whole wheat tortillas, etc. I just make sure I eat lots of veggies, lean protein, fruits, and healthy carbs - especially at night. Hope that helps. Good luck with your pregnancy.

Thanks Shilpa… I will give the english muffin sandwich a go.

HI Kristina,

Here are some ideas that have worked for me over the years …

If the problem is that you spike before your insulin peaks (you’re high at 1 hour and then low or in range at 2 hours), you might try taking the bolus a little before you eat – maybe 15 minutes or so.

If the problem is that you spike after your insulin peaks (you are high at 1 hour and still high at 2 hours), you might try a square wave or dual wave bolus. You might ask your Endo or CDE for some advice about how to use this feature. This helped me with the spikes quite a bit. Otherwise, you might also try adjusting your insulin-to-carb ratio.

I would also try to go with low carb meals whenever possible (maybe 2 exchanges per meal or so), and to replace my simple carbs with high-fiber alternatives (whole grains, etc.). The meal that Shilpa suggests sounds like something that would work well for me.

Hope this helps.

Hi Nici- I am going to try bolusing about 15 minutes before the meal. Thanks for the suggestions!