What benefits does the pump have if I'm doing great with needles?

Yeah, Emmy!! Good saying … but not always applicable. Some things may seem to be doing find but can actually be much more suitable with a change. I say, as long as it doesn’t do any harm and has some positive effect, go for it!!

Lois

Hey bsc, I am doing bolus, carb count and the whole 9 yards. I did get diagnosed not too long ago and my doc did mention that I could still be in the honeymoon phase. Will definitely keep a close eye on my numbers to see if I see any changes. Thanks!

I feel the same way Gerri. Adjusting basal would be great though because I’m very active at work and I find myself dropping quickly during these hours.

Thanks for the input Jacyln.

Being able to set my basal during workouts is definitely a plus. Thanks for all the good points!

haha I have missed many great meals because I’ve left my insulin at home by accident. People asking questions would not bother me but sleeping with the pump may. I think I may need to wear a trial pump for a few days to see how this is all going to work.

If you’re using Lantus & depending when you take it, this may be causing lows. Not uncommon because Lantus has peaks. I had persistent afternoon lows with Lantus. I lowered doses, took split doses & it didn’t help. I had to argue with my doctor to change to Levemir because he stoutly denied that Lantus wasn’t level. I’ve done far better on Levemir. Of course since you’re recently diagnosed, you probably have some insulin production that can also account for lows.

Sorry to hear about the scarring. It doesn’t seem like too many people are having that issue but It’s still a turn off factor. At least you’re getting the supplies for free!

Yea the pump malfunctioning would definitely drive my nuts. Kelly how often are you having issues?

hahaha I’ll take that as a compliment!

yea, when I stack I just make sure I eat enough carbs to cover and I turn out ok…

Thanks for the input Maurie. A1c on my 1st visit was 13.4. Once on insulin, a month and a half later I was down to 8.2. I’m curious to see where my numbers are now. You said a pump is a 4 year commitment? What if I didn’t like my results with the pump? Couldn’t I just remove it and get back on with MDI?

Of course you could always remove it and drop back to MDI at anytime you wish, its more the financial commitment that comes along with the pump as they’re not overly cheap. :slight_smile:

Hey Pilcrow, I check around 7 times per day and I do not have a CGMS. My endo said I could still be in the honeymoon phase so I’m keeping a close eye on that as well. Hopefully It stays this way lol.

The four years is the warranty on the pump. Your insurance won’t cover a second pump until that warranty is over so that if you decide two years down the road that you want the brand new model with great new features you are either out of luck or out of pocket.

Maurie

I did MDI for nearly 10 full years, except for a 3 week pump run in 2002 but back then, I did not want it at all. It was the result of my mom who was ignorant towards the very term “if it aint broke, dont fix it!” which was my argument. Back then with MDI I had perfect control, but I was also only 17 therefore I did not have ultimate medical decision control just yet.

During those years my Basal needs were pretty much flat lined.

But today, that is no longer the case, my basal needs have two entirely different ranges even with flat activity all day long, and Lantus could no longer get the job properly done for me, but that was only one of a number of reasons. I also needed to make huge basal adjustments for during working out, long walks and hikes. The problem I began to run into with MDI was that I found my self having to munch away on food just to sustain levels above 100. The only real way to combat the problem was to reduce my lantus dosage, but then I would run high during normal hours and need to add additional novolog basil shots just to stay below 200.

So one question to ask your self is, do you currently have a need for two completely different basal ranges? In my early years I did not need different basal ranges. But today on the other hand, My basal changes from .8units at night to 1.2units per hour during the day. Then during long hikes or workouts, I could cut the basil to at least -50% on my ping to help sustain my level above 100. This was the very lead problem that made me look into a pump.

My sensitivity is all over the place with each passing activity, to control that with MDI is simply impossible. If you do not have that problem, or at least not yet. Then MDI should still be suitable for you.

I’ve been pinging since January 3rd, and I’ve already lost 5 pounds from eliminating most of the eating from lows and during my active hours, and I’m not even trying that hard. Nearly all of my lows have vanished all thanks to the basal rate adjustment ability, that eliminates a ton of additional calorie intake.

As for the being attached to it for 24/7 part, my first time around on a pump in 2002, the thing served me no where near good enough to make it worth living with attached, and it was not water proof either, it was a MM 508 pump.

One of the points of having a pump is to have more freedom with it, which makes me believe that any non waterproof pump simply defeats the purpose of a pump in the first place. So I felt that if something is going to be attached to me, it better have a hell of a lot of positives that makes it worth having stuck to me, so far my ping has far surpassed my expectations, more than enough to have it worth living on me at all times.

Hope that info helps

BTW, Thats a sweet red Cobra Mustang you have there too

LOL, you cover for whatever food you eat, WHEN you eat it… not hours later after the fact.
Stuart

You were never told that “rule” because it is completely false and just plain wrong!
Stuart

Hello Gerri:

A pump is NO faster than injecting in any way. And you’re completely right pumpers DO inject… -S-
Stuart

There would be no medical reason to justify your needing/getting a pump… not with those perfect readings.
Stuart