What do you consider a bg spike?

I only usually test 2 hours after meals with the goal of being below 140. However, I had a little rice and some honey dew with dinner, and I was curious if my bg flew up to some outrageous number afterwards. I took a 1 hour post-meal test and I was at 170. This is honestly my first 1 hour post-meal test, so I don’t know if this qualifies as a spike or not. My wife is Chinese and makes white rice almost every day, but I’ve been trying to get her to switch to brown on the theory that it’s less likely to cause spikes. My question is, what qualifies as a spike?

Did you test again at 2 hours to see? I don’t think that’s a spike, especially if it came down within another hour or so. I try hard to be under 140 also, not that I achieve this:)

Brown rice will effect you just as much as white rice. It will just take a bit longer to see the increase.

actually no… i just tested at the 2 hour mark and surprisingly i’m still at 170. i thought it was a mistake at first, but my strips are too expensive to keep testing! oh well, guess i can spend some quality time with my nintendo wii to bring things down a bit

Have fun with wii!

Fruit hits me hard & fast, so I avoid most fruits except for berries. I can’t even look at rice.

There are reasons to change to brown rice, at least part of the time. There are more nutrients in it, and the fiber in the bran does help to avoid a spike. (I think it tastes better, too.) Maybe your doctor will write you a prescription for more strips; they are so very important that they’re worth fighting for.

I do have to say… Always tread carefully around rice, of any kind. It does spike, no matter the type. I make a stir fry sometimes, and add but about 1/2 cup of rice to the WHOLE stir fry recipe… to enjoy the taste of rice… So it effectively greatly reduces the carbs per serving… but no way am I going to sit down, today, and have a 1/2 cup of rice on my own… I wouldn’t be able to have any meat with it, or anything else… It takes my entire allotted total available glucose for a meal in one serving.

Dan, I have found that I can do a little Korean rice, Basmotti and not spike. For the most part we have replaced rice with white Shirataki Noodles http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/category/shirataki-noodles chopped to about rice length. 0 Carbs and very filling. If you order their lunches, be careful with the Wasabi as it has not been Americanized and it is so hot it will take your breath away if you use the whole flavor package.

Uncle Ben’s Converted rice is white rice which has the lowest glycemic index of them all… I think 32 or 36 on the glycemic index, so probably less spike generated. We were told what is probable as far as spikes go (or what we should aim for) is a BS of 200 one hour after, and 150 two hours postprandial, but we do not restrict carbs as much as some of the adult Type 1s. I think 170 would be considered okay; and surprised you did not come down further at the two hour mark. What was your test before the next meal?

DanK,
Use this as impetus to do a little research with your usual foods and tally what they are, writing down how much you had, and the 1 hour after starting to eat - test.
Test strips are important to spend money for - about 10 of them should do it - to give you an idea of how often and how much you’re spiking at one hour.
Your wife and you can go over a list of veggies to have at meals, heating up some yourself, as you are more unlikely to see any spike - if your insulin to grams ratio is set correctly.
Rice is a heavy starch, and depending on the amount, it definitely causes some high BG. Even brown - just slower.

Agree 100% Alan, Jenny talks about that over on her diabetes 101 as the thresholds. Your damaging organs if it stays that high for extended periods and one should shoot for below 140 bg. At those levels I would be very sleepy, peeing alot, thirsty and so on.

I test at 75 minutes, when I usually reach my peak. :slight_smile:

200 at the one hour mark. 150 at the two hour mark. She does not always spike to 200 at the one hour mark, though. Yes, this is a spike. This is what the endo and another diabetes educator has told us we can expect to realistically see. We are not to restrict carbs excessively as she is a growing young teen. If she is home, and staying home, I overbolus, thereby eliminating the spike and then give a rescue snack (based on IOB at the two hour mark). Children are placed in a Catch 22 situation. They MUST eat the carbs to grow. Their smaller body size means each gram of carbohydrate spikes their blood sugar higher than an adult who has more body mass. Without adhering to a very low carb diet, can an adult realistically expect to keep BS spikes under 140 at the one hour mark, and go back to 120 at the two hour mark, back to baseline at 3 hours? The reason I ask is I know she loves carbs and I doubt she will overly restrict them when an adult.

I’m surprised everyone has spikes with rice. I have a half a cup of rice which is 41 carbs and have some chicken and veggies with it and bolus for 41 carbs and I hover around 120-130 at 1 hour and at 2 hours 100.

Oh, I don’t know… :frowning: Maybe other folks with kids can chime in, but I just don’t know that loving carbs is a good enough reason to not teach her to at least restrict them… 200 is just not acceptable.

You may want to read “The Diabetes Diet” by Dr. Richard K. Bernstein.

Some T2’s bolus… Not all Type 2’s are just on diet alone.

I was under the impression a “spike” would be really based on where you started from.

Like if you tested at 80 before you ate and than were at 170 an hour later - that is a big ‘spike’ in numbers to be raised in only an hour. If you were already at 140 and than you ate, well than 170 is that much of a ‘spike’ from 140. Meaning the rice and fruit only made you go up 30 points in a hour which isn’t bad for rice and fruit!

Of course, as some of us on here subscribe too, that being over 140 for more than two hours is not good. But sometimes you are never sure whats gonna happen! LOL!

Did you explain to your wife that white rice isn’t good for diabetics? Tell you like some variety every once and a while.

I don’t even look at rice myself. Good thing I don’t care for it too much. I do miss fruit though. :slight_smile: Honeydew…hmm. :slight_smile:

Bad Duck! :slight_smile: Keep away from that bread! LOL!

249 is high after eating some bread! That sounds like the bread was made out of sugar! :slight_smile:

How did you figure out that 75 minutes is the magic time for you Liz?

I wish I could afford the strips to figure mine out. I am always very good at 2 hrs so I don’t worry about it but I often wonder what how it changes after I eat. :slight_smile:

This is quite confusing, isn’t it DanK? I mean, if I test at one hour, I too can be at say 170, but I don’t correct b/c I know that in another hour, I will be down (if all goes well) to say, 100. My endo says “you can’t always test at 1 hour, b/c that number will always be somewhat inflated and you will drive yourself crazy.” That said, so many folks here on TuD seem to disagree, and I’m wondering then, how do THEY manage to be so in control at 1 hour, and also at the second? What’s the secret? I have an appt tomorrow with the Endo, and will address again with her. As for rice, I agree with other posts here that it will definitely affect the sugars, but maybe the spike won’t be as severe? Good luck!