What do you eat for breakfast?

Carbs at breakfast = NIGHTMARE for me, so I have a couple GO-TOs (I could never eat the same thing day-in, day-out):

1. 1 cup FAGE or Chobani 0% Greek Yogurt (Plain), 1/4 cup Glucerna cereal = ~ 30 effective carb’s worth of insulin for me
  2. 2 eggs, usually without the yolk, 1/2 a lite English muffin
  3. No Sugar Added oatmeal
  4. Breakfast sandwich ( the frozen ones are actually not bad for my sugar, despite the carb contents… Try SmartOnes!)

Depending, I may need a little snack later on in the A.M. (almonds or cheese stick), and I drink a lot of tea.
I don’t think Oatmeal is bad in general, it just depends on your body and your numbers. Good luck!

Cereal or 3 scrambled eggs, 3 turkey sausage links and 2 pieces of whole wheat toast. Depends on what I feel like making at the time.

I am really bad at eating breakfast. I can’t handle it in the a.m. The first thing I want of course is an espresso (or Americano). I usually eat about 2-3 hours later - sometimes like today - I didn’t eat until 3:00 p.m… I thought the other day I would get told off by my endo that I don’t eat a breakfast, and he said he’s the same way (but he’s not a diabetic) - and he didn’t get upset with me for not eating breakfast. Some of my D/nonD friends tell me off for not eating, but I tend to eat when I’m hungry, or when my insulin is telling me to eat. If I do eat a breakfast tho’, I like a slice of baguette and some slices of cheese, that’s about it. You’d think I’d be slim, but I weigh in at a hefty (but I feel healthy) 150! :smiley:

Don’t forget, you can make a latte with full cream that is almost carb free. Heavy cream makes a very rich latte. You can order them at starbuck’s, they keep the heavy cream in the fridge, just ask the barista.

my system is a little different for breakfast and other meals. i eat to the number so the only constant is coffee … very strong, and large amounts. after that, it depends. many times i don’t eat anything until i make my daughter’s school lunch then i’ll graze on some lunch meat and a bit of cheese. if i’m running a bit low i’ll have half a granola bar. it all depends on my BG.
it’s the same for dinner, which is why i will occasionally have bizarre combination like last night. i get home from work late (8-ish) so the rest of the family has eaten. so last night i finished the broccoli, have two tablespoons of peanut butter and a sam adams. i was 77 when i started and figured it was about 40-45 grams. BGs were perfect the rest of the night.
food never interested me so all i’m worried about is matching the carb count to the BG.

Good point bsc. Thx. I’ll try it tomorrow am. (I make my lattes at home). If it tastes as good, that’s going to really sort out my morning numbers.

In german tradition I eat 2 to 3 slices of darker bread with marmelade (based on fructose) or cold meat. I bake this bread in my baking machine. This way I can not be surprised by hidden carbs. In general my self made bread is lower in carbs and causes a smaller spike in my blood glucose. On top of that I drink one unsweetened cappuchino. Now I am ready for the day…

Hi Gerri! Thank you!

I have noticed that- the insulin/food matching :slight_smile: I have only been on insulin for every meal for about a week and it can be reeeeeeeeeally frustrating. Did I eat enough carbs? Too many? Did I take enough insulin? My nutritionist hasn’t given me too many guidelines as to how many carbs I should (or shouldn’t eat) per meal so it leaves me guessing. I’m still trying to figure out how the foods I eat and the insulin I take will effect me… Thank you for the tip on the book and the site!! I will definitely study up!

I love that the second ingredient in Low Sugar is sugar. Figures! :wink:

Hey Devon,

Very frustrating! I wasn’t told squat either. I was given a bunch of confusing hand-outs. Some used the old exchange system (don’t ask), others talked about carb portions & others about carb counting without explaining what it was. Like most people, I taught myself.

Without matching insulin to carbs, it really is shooting in the dark with variable results.

Jenny’s site will help, promise. Two other books that are invaluable are Dr. Richard Bernstein’s Diabetes Solution & Using Insulin by John Walsh.

Dontcha love the ingredients. Guess it’s low sugar compared to regular Quaker Oats–marketing.

Here are some great low carb recipe sites:
Linda’s Low Carb Menus & Recipes http://genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html
The Low Carb Cafe www.lowcarbcafe.com
Low Carb Luxury http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/index.html
Simply Recipes http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/low_carb/
Low Carb Eating http://lowcarbeating.com/
Low Carb Friends www.lowcarbfriends.com

Nothing. I fast until lunch (got in the habit way back when treatment was one NPH injection a day and anything early would send my BG sky high).

Eggs sauteed with vegetables… sometimes just vegetables sauteed up with a handful of nuts on the side… sometimes leftovers… sometimes just a nutiva hempseed bar…

Thanks! I will!

I finally discovered an Oatmeal my sugars can handle. Quakers Oats Instant Weight Control Oatmeal. I heat it up with water and add some blueberries. I LOVE IT!

I’m now thinking maybe I’ll try to eat breakfast once in awhile - the oatmeal with blueberries sounds REALLY good Heidi!

Breakfast is my best start to the day. 6/7 mornings of a normal week I’ll eat the same thing, and when I’m travelling on business I try to eat at least similar from the breakfast buffet. Biz travel throws my BG abit out of whack anyway tho.

Here is my brkfst combo:
45g low GI granola muesli + 100g low fat Bulgarian yogurt = 28g carb (has to be LOW GI muesli, muesli is traditionally high in carbs/fats and sugars!)
1 low/med GI fruit of what is available, apple, pear, plums, peaches, grapes and at the moment it’s Goji berries.
Some Brazil nuts
2 Tspn ground flaxseeds
Cinnamon for added flavor

All on all my brkfst works out to be around 45g of carb. Although it sounds boring to eat the same thing every morning, I quite like the combo of yog-fruit-crunchiness, and in a very D kind of way I find comfort in it’s effect on my BG levels…

Thank you for the links… I am a big dork when it comes to recipes and LOVE them (and now with the D I can be even more obsessive about them.) Not that I’m a good cook. In fact I’m pretty terrible. But my heart is in the right place :slight_smile:

I drink a Shaklee Cinch protein shake. It has 16 grams of NON-GMO soy protein and is low glycemic. Mix alone has 25 g carb, and add 12 g carb for the milk, for a total of 37 g. Also has 6 g dietary fiber. Also has about 35% of the RDV for most essential vitamins, including D. My husband does not have diabetes, but he drinks it too because it’s a good source of pure protein and vitamins.

This is almost EXACTLY what I had for breakfast this morning :slight_smile: So, no- you don’t sound like a pig!! :wink:

hahahaha.
For breakfast I drink a grande java chip frappicino Lite with whipped cream from Starbucks.
It is 37g carbs and 6g protein.
My daytime numbers are PERFECT in the low 100s. from 7 am through dinnertime (around 630 pm) PERFECT.

I figure, if I’m going to have to deal with this stupid disease and I HAVE TO eat breakfast (even though breakfast makes my stomach queasy) then I’m gonna make sure I friggin enjoy it! :slight_smile:

Let’s see…I usually eat oatmeal, toast, yogurt or peanut sandwich…pretty boring. The best thing to do is eat your food and test. If your numbers are good then stick with it, if not make changes. Diabetes is a crazy thing. It’s totally trial and error.