What does 'real bad' mean?!

ha! i love the 'like school on sunday..' comment.

yes, i was pretty ticked that he felt as though it was okay to whisper my medical info to someone else. i think he sees it as being okay since he is diabetic and the woman he was talking to is married to a T2, so to him it was all relatable and relevant.
regardless, it was uncalled for.

i see some comments about his particular treatment, and i believe he is on insulin.

thanks for all of the feedback everyone!

My brother and I are both diabetics, both insulin users, but he is a typical T2 and has gone through all of the common stages of progression. He has always thought that his condition could be shelved at any given moment and my insulin dependance makes me brittle, weak, less reliable when the chips are on the table, he can behave like a none PWD for days without any immediate complications. He watched me deal with insulin dependance for half my life before he was told he had Type2 diabetes and my T1 experience was little help to him, because his doctor gave him encouragement buy saying, you don't have the bad kind of diabetes like your brother.

Here is an example: 2 people try smoking and ones first attempt sends them to the ER and the other ones first attempt just causes a little euphoria and bad breath the next morning..:-). We tend to live out our lives in the moment, looking at our past experience for answers to what is going to happen in the future....

Your coworker is not wrong, maybe he hurt your feelings but he is not wrong, his presumption is that your diabetes is worse than his....maybe so...only time will tell the truth.

Thank you for the compliment!

I'm T2, as you may recall, Nicole.

I have one word to describe that guy, is starts with an a and ends with an e. But this is a family site, and all...

Further, as a T2 I take special umbrage at this sort of division.

Here we go

I'm looking at your avatar, and for the life of me, all I can keep seeing is that glass of milk on a dark tabletop, with a wad of crumpled paper in front of it. :-)

Something I've noticed around here that disturbs me.

It seems quite a few T1's feel they know what it's like to live as a T2, and speak authoritatively about how much easier, less "bad" it is.

I don't see the same thing in reverse much.

Anyway, a colloquialism comes to mind: "Until you've walked in someone's shoes..."

Yes, there are differences between the two etiologies. Yes T1's face an immediate crisis if they don't have insulin, and this is important.

However, these things do not make T1 something on par with cancer, while T2 is more in line with rheumatoid arthritis in gravity. Further, as has been discussed regularly here, a T2 that wants to truly manage their condition to the same degree as a T1 trying to be "normal" is, well, virtually indistinguishable in terms of life impact.

The fact is, a poorly controlled T1, while not facing the threat of death at every turn, will wind up with pretty much the same problems as a poorly controlled T2.

Diabetes is chiefly about BG control, day to day, hour by hour. And the process for doing that is essentially the same whether you're T1 or T2.

Another way of framing this: T2 is just LADA with a very long honeymoon. Now, before the Literalist Police jump on me, please have the courtesy to understand there was some rhetorical art in that statement to make a point.

The phrase "the bad kind" sends me up the proverbial wall. If I attempt to discuss it, I will go ballistic. So I won't.

I wasn't suggesting they were one in the same, rare and vastly misunderstood, two different things indeed. Most things considered 'rare' arent' highly understood. Many endos and even CDE's have no experience with type 1 and will not see type 1's. Thus, if health care providers who don't even know how to manage type 1 and have no clue it can happen to adults, are misdiagnosing type 1's while they're on the verge of DKA, as type 2's due to ignorance, that it's autoimmune and has nothing to do with type 2...yeah, type 1 is misunderstood, IMO....and my experience and many on here. Even insulin commercials now are targeting type 2's. The only media voice T1's have is via JDRF. I also disagree with your misunderstood means unsympathetic. Many things I personally don't have true knowledge of or experience in, that doesn't mean in any way I lack sympathy or empathy for that particular situation - ignorance doesn't mean nonsympathetic, IMO. Example, I am totally ignorant, have no idea or clue what is happening in Malaysia right now, the entire world is...do I (we) lack sympathy for all involved, no way...totally devastating and heart wrenching, no matter what the outcome is.

look it up in the dictionary. theres your definition.
http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/misunderstood;_ylt=A0LEVvhbaiNTnAIABCYvEwx.;_ylu=X3oDMTByODJtaWUzBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkAw--

:) i just cant help it.

i'm stating my definition with examples. who cares what a dictionary says. we've had T1's on here stating they've had people ask them if it was 'contagious'...a woman asked me that as well. Type 1 is very misunderstood - medical professionals don't even know what IT is. I knew absolutely nothing about it, no one in my family did either, prior to diagnosis and knew no one who had it. Know and knew many type 2's, however.

whatever floats your boat. most don't post comments on here as a way to badger or fight and find no 'thrill' in doing so...we simply state our experiences, opinions and views.

im just clearing up your misunderstanding of "misunderstood"! cant argue with a dictionary!

good for you!

"the bad kind" is also something I would not attempt to discuss. When folks feel the need to define "kinds" it serves no purpose and it is far from educational. I don't get emotional about my diabetes or feel the need to defend, define, compare it. I wish everyone could learn to live well and to the best of their ability and circumstance with theirs. As I said early on, the coworker made a bigger mistake in my opinion by discussing Nicole's diabetes with someone. That is cause for ballistic going!! LOL

Must we go there AGAIN? We know that some don't get it...nuf said.
Personally...I use such times to educate...period.
If all else fails...walk away. This discussion has gone on AD NAUSEUM here.....it is the song that never ends, why? Because we love to dredge up!!!
It's annoying to all of us!

If you're referring to my post, I'm sorry I irritated you.

I get irritated routinely here by people that seem to think they know what my life with D is like, and have no problem telling me I can cure it. Or that it just isn't that tough to live with compared to...

Believe me, it gets mighty annoying to come across that nonsense again and again on a putatively support-oriented community.

Again, sorry... was just venting. I'll keep my mouth (figuratively) shut about this from now on.

Dave my friend....I assure you my comment is not directed at you, but rather in reference to the blog itself. You and I are on the same page.....tired of the same old.

like.