What helped your child make the first jab?

Hi, brave parents of kwds. What techniques were helpful in teaching your child to give her or his own insulin injection (or pump insertion)? I remember injecting into an orange and my dad’s leg (thanks, dad). What worked for you?

My youngest daughter was dx at age 10 (Dec. 18, 2006). She injected herself for the first time when she said I took too long to come into the room to do it and she ready to eat and tired of waiting for me. It was 4 or 5 days after she (we) came home from the hospital after her diagnosis. It worked out well because after winter/Christmas break, she had to be able to do her injections during school for lunch. In the hospital, she practiced giving injections when I did into a little vinyl type pad that the diabetes educator had.

She started using a pump 3 months after dx and is now 12. I’ve never done an insertion. She always sits down, holds her breath for a second and uses the Medtronic quick-serter to do the insertion.

I started to do my own shots at age six, it was my 2nd year at a diabetes summer camp and just watching all the other kids doing their shots really inspired/intrigued/encouraged me peer pressure works~~~~ and I got a cool t-shirt, yea it was exciting

I’d say have them maybe practice on a stuffed animal or oragne or on you lol one of our consolers had us give her a shot
and just encourage them and reward them with a fun/activity outing or a new toy or something after they do it, make a big deal about it I know when I was a toddler or little we did a sticker chart for like a week or two for each finger poke cooperation and responsibility and the such then a prize in the end

Oh, I’m the kid! I never gave my shot on my own until I went away to diabetes camp when I was 8. It had put a serious cramp in my overnight stays as a child, so seeing all the other kids do it, helped me. I did it with a bunkmate and a nurse (who was also diabetic) at the same time.

Well I wish we were here but Shelby is only 4 and her doing the inset30 seems far off! But Shelby has done a regular Inset into my arm with my help and my husbands butt. Last summer when she was three she just started to do her fingersticks so we are getting there but I love reading everyone relies!
~Korin~

When I was 4 and living with diabetes, there were no fingersticks, just test tubes, tablets, and drops of urine! It didn’t hurt to do a test, but it didn’t help to have such inaccurate blood sugar info. Wow, that makes me sound ancient.

Tell Shelby: Great job with the fingersticks. That’s a big girl thing to do :slight_smile:

To plug my own magazine, there’s an article in the Fall issue of Diabetic Living, page 24. that discusses how to know when your child is ready to start self-injecting or inserting infusion sets. If you have the chance to read it, let me know if you find it helpful.
8627-TheShotClock.pdf (225 KB)

I remember when I started giving my own shots…can’t believe how long ago that was!

My parents got me this spring loaded injection aid and I loved it because I didn’t actually have to see the needle going in OR push it through the skin myself.

I’m pretty sure this one on BD’s website is what I used :slight_smile:

I used it for quite a while before I got up the guts to actually put the needle in myself and I would NOT inject in my torso for YEARS but eventually I came around.

yes, loved the BD. injector and it makes it easier on parent my mom couldn’t do without it

My daughter wouldn’t do her own injections until she went to camp, either. She got on the bus the first summer and they were going to eat their lunches - one of the counselors handed her a pen and told her to do it, and she never had! The little girl sitting next to her (a friend from a local support group) did that one for her, and then the cabin diabetic counselor taught her how when they got to camp. She came home from camp this year doing her own site insertions, and last year it was something else - I think using her belly instead of legs for sites? I have to send her to camp every year to get her to break away from the routine and try new things. She doesn’t want to try anything different at home. :slight_smile:

I did not yse the orange I ate it. The first time I was at home I could not shoot it I keep breaking my wrist back. Called my Mom in and asked her to do it she was shaking so bad. Told her to give it back she was going to hurt me. Never had any more problems. Thanks Mom I love you.

When I went to D camp, all the other kids were doin it so I figured I could too.
I rememeber the BD auto injector, but when we went from glass needles to plastic ones years later, it didn’t fit the new needles so I couldn’t use it anymore…
Cheers…Bob

I let my 8 yr old daughter inject me in the tummy with saline solution lol.

when i was diagnosed i practiced on an orange. i had fun poking it! then one time, the nurse came in, told me when came back i would giving myself a shot, & to think of where i wanted to inject it. so i didn’t have much of a choice. also i wasn’t able to leave the hospital before i learned. i was 10

E. was diagnosed at 8 and went on the pump four months after diagnosis. Consequently, she never learned and does not know how to do her own injections. We used the Novolog Pen Jr. prior to going on the pump and perhaps she can learn to use the pen for emergency situations at some point. She is now 11, but has been administering insulin herself via the pump, with supervision or calling us on the phone and reading us the numbers, within a few months of starting the pump. The pump is so convenient! She does not yet change her own sites as we use sils in the backside area. She cannot reach. If, at some point, she needs to start changing her own sets, I suppose we will go over to the Quickset which has an inserter.

I don’t really remember because I was 6, but my parents were divorced so I think I pretty much had to learn in order to visit him and that side of my family. I also remember staying over at the homes of some of the girls I knew at school too, so I had to learn in order to do that. I’ve just never liked other people giving me my insulin because they jab it in. I think I figured out pretty early that if I did it myself, I could pick another spot if it seemed like the first spot I picked was going to hurt too much.

Hi Natalie… I thought it was funny you mentioned that your daughter holds her breath when she does her insertions. I’m 23 and after more than 6 years of pumping I still hold my breath every time. =)