What's in your bag?

I don’t know how to post a photo here. It is a backpack style purse that I got from JCPenney a couple of years or so ago. It helps that I am fairly tall (about 5’ 8.5") with a large frame and I’m used to carrying a lot of stuff.

So lucky to be so tall. Sometimes being short stinks!

At work, the Mgmt would prefer that we not carry a bag (and in the Cash Office no bags allowed). So I thank goodness for cargo pants. In one pocket I carry my wallet, ID, and cash. The other knee pocket holds glucose tabs. One hip pocket holds keys, the other has ink pens, while my meter, insulin, syringes, strips and flip cell phone and a comb etc., are in a pouch that I can clip to my belt when I leave the office. The nice thing about the small bag is that it has 3 graduated pockets so it also fits into a purse if I have to dress up.

I have a very bad back, so am having to carry less and less.

Since I do not inject insulin at lunch, I often carry nothing but my cell in my pocket that has my debit card and one credit card and driver's license.

I did manage to find a tiny purse that is a crossover that will hold my cell, a pack of Kleenex, meter, multiclix, insulin, syringe, test strips, and a few hard candies.

Am having to use a cane or a rollator now, so this is serious stuff.

Can't take (or won't rake) a back pack going to church.

I realize I have already posted on this topic, but readers might (I hope anyway) like my blog on this issue. Not to take away form this discussion, but maybe to add a different perspective. As folks who read my various blogs know, I sort of have an usual way of looking at the world. I hope you like it:

http://www.tudiabetes.org/profiles/blogs/is-that-a-56-year-old-man-from-indiana-carrying-a-purse

....rick

I simply must reply to Rick's blog post....what a wonderful man you must be...let me tell you why. First, you carry a man-bag...who cares what it's for at this point. Beats my husband's pockets buldging and pulling his pants off his hips cause they are so full.

Second, I must share this, cause I very rarely see it in the part of the country I life in the "Men are Men -- tough and we don't carry bags" part of the country. I used to work with a guy who had the temper of a badger and the vocabulary to match. He was huge, at least 300 lbs, when I knew him. He scared the living beejeebees out of me. Fast forward, 12 years, I no longer work, I see him yesterday having lunch. He whips around this wonderful leather bag, opens it up and proceeds to bring out a meter, lancet device, and strips. In front of the whole restaurant, he poked his finger, and took his blood sugars...all the while, talking to his companion. He puts it all away, and hangs the bag on a bag hanger the kind that hooks on the table, so you don't lay your bag on the floor. And eats....OH did I say he must weigh a wonderful, marvelous 160lbs.? I heard he had diabetes and had lost weight, but two people worth????? I didn't have the nerve to chat with him. But I was so impressed that he would just take out his diacrap as Nick said and do what he needs to do to take care of him.WOW!!!! I know women who complain that a public bathroom offers more privacy for nursing mothers than testing women....huh? Why can't we just test in public and not get hyper about it. So now I know what is in Gary's bag...and I'm thinking differently about many things. Thanks Nick for sharing, and thanks Gary, wherever you are, for showing some guts

Wow,very cool! People definitely change for the better! Even if I wasn't up for chatting, I would have at least nodded and given him a knowing smile.

I have an iPhone and just bought the new ihealth meter and the gluco app. It saves a lot of room in a purse or bag. The test strips are really inexpensive too, and the phone acts as the meter and the log book.

I have had a similar neck problem and just had to carry practically nothing at all at the worst of it.