When do you know your pod is failing?

I changed the pod today and my sugars went upto 270 so I kept an eye on it and bolused. It stayed stable for a few hrs but did not come down and checking now I went to 378 so I took that pod off and put a new one on and bolused again… Of course now i have to wait and see and check my sugars again before I go to bed but how long do you give your pod before you deep it not working?

Sandy, many of us find we need to give a sort of pod change bolus either right before or right after the pod change to keep our sugars level. In your situation I probably would have given myself a shot correction for the 378 and after I’d come down from that if I’d started to trend up again significantly I may have given up on the pod… but I’ve only once had a pod that actually didn’t work as well as it should once it started to actually work.

It might also have been the insulin…you might have to use another new pod with fresh insulin. Don’t you hate the waste? Good luck.

Excellent question Sandy! I wish I knew! I do know that when I did my pod training, my trainer said to get ketone testing strips, and then, when BS is over 250, test for ketones, and bolus with syringe. She said if ketones were present, that meant I wasn’t getting any insulin, so change the pod.

I sometimes have highs with pod changes, no consistency with when or if so I can’t bolus at pod change time to avoid it. When I do have the highs, it is often terrible, and takes longer for my bs to come down. I don’t know if it is a site that isn’t absorbing well, and until a certain amount of insulin has been injected into that tissue then the site starts working, or what. All I know is it is annoying. Lucky I havn’t had one of those issues for the last 2 months. I have told myself that the next time it happens, I will call Insulet and see what they say! (I HATE wasting a pod!!!)

I actually changed the pod b/c my sugars were not reacting to the bolus that I was giving. It was on my arm and the Insulin may have been an older bottle. I tried getting it back out of the pod after taking it off and it wasn’t a problem so when I do have this problem again I know that not everything is wasted. Do you guys call Insulet to have the pods replaced? My sugars have come down with the pod change so it maybe have been just my site and insulin. It looked like the pod was sitting right and the catheter wasn’t bent or anything. THank you for all the replies.

Unless the pod alarms as a pod error Insulet usually won’t replace it I’ve heard some people have gotten a few replaced within the first month or so of starting but after that unless there’s a pod error then Insulet says it was working fine and won’t help.

That would definitely be good to know! I had one that I think stopped about 7 hours before a change, it just kept climbing all afternoon. I did take some inslulin with a pen and got it down, it bothers me because I NEVER had this kind of problem when on MDI, when you took your insulin, you knew you got it! This is the one big downside to using a pump. So when you guys say you took a shot, does that mean you also have to carry around a pen with you or your vial and syringes? Does insurance cover novolog pens or syringes AND novolog for a pump?

Hmm good to know. I will still call and inquire about it. In my case I do not believe it was a pod err now b/c everything looked ok with it. I think it was my arm. Never really get good sites there even with the catheters. It’s either great or miserable.
Thank you all for the replies.

I don’t go through insurance for a 10pk of syringes. I just get them b/c they aren’t very expensive and they cover the insulin so yes. You should always have that and insulin with you. I have been diabetic for 26 + years now and on the pump for the past 17yrs. I have woken up in intensive more than once not knowing what happened b/c the insulin mountain that I had to give with MDI got me… I would never ever go back even with the kinks and site failures. I rather have 1 site failure per month and take care of my ketones than MDI but it just is different for everyone and I love the freedom that I have without the tubing. HOWEVER I still have my Animas Ping and will go back with no questions asked if the Pod doesn’t work out. To me it was worth the 200.00 just to have it for the summer and swimming. You may not get it covered for the pen and the pump rather than syringes and pump. Good luck

I carry around a syringe, just in case. I do have pens though. I haven’t switched my prescription over to vials yet but it’s absolutely not a problem to load insulin from a pen into an Omnipod. Each pen can fill three Omnipods for me so I don’t have to carry around an entire vial of Novolog at a time, just a single pen. Once a pen is used to fill a pod though, it can’t be used as a pen anymore so, in case of a pod failure, I’d have to use a syringe.

My daughter had a pod failure last week at school. Fortunately, I was at a meeting at the school which just happened to be across from the clinic. She soared over 400 without ketones but corrections were not bringing her down. After 90 minutes, I decided to change the pod. We keep extra an extra pod and insulin at the school so it was not a problem. On close inspection of the pod, we realized that even though the cannula was inserted there was evidence that insulin was leaking out. This is the second time that we have had a pod spring an internal leak over the last couple of months. In this situation, there will not be an alarm since the insulin continues to flow. Insulet has replaced both pods after I called them. They do require that the defective pod be returned to them but they make it a simple process for making the return.

After a significant high (above 250) with no ketones our general rule is to correct and check BG 60 to 90 minutes later. If BG is not lower we will change the pod and give a correction via syringe. If BG is lower but not significantly reduced we may correct and check once more 60 to 90 minutes later. If BG is not below 250 at that point we will go ahead and replace the pod. In six months on the pod, we have had 3 occlusion failures, two internal leak failures and one failure where the pod lost the ability to communicate with the PDM. Insulet has been great about replacing each of the failures.

Really I know it sounds like a lot but it’s not. Average of one per month. Normal sets with the other pumps are no better. It also takes forever to alarm occlusions. Thank you for the reply.