When insulin goes bad

The last few days my bg has been awful no matter how much insulin I pump or inject. I’ve changed infusion sites early, I’ve injected correction boluses. I tried an entirely new vial of insulin. It’s as if I am injecting water. I eat zero carb item and my bg goes up and stays up. I eat small carb item and inject an appropriate bolus, my bg goes up and stays up. I’ve just come home from work and done an entirely new infusion site, used insulin from a different lot number and vial. Fingers crossed. All the vials in the fridge have same lot # as the vial I suspect has gone bad, even though I only started using it 2 days ago.

What can I do with the remaining 3-4 vials I have, if they are also bad? Can I get a replacement from somewhere? Or do I have to pay out of pocket for an entire new batch?

Sorry if I am rambling, I’m frustrated, tired and have been sitting between 11-13 mmol/L all day long. Despite many boluses.

Sheepdogs

1 Like

Hey Sheepdogs,

I can use Humalog sometimes and nothing happens. I then have to walk around the block. This gets my system going such that it moves the insulin around, which makes it work. Good luck.

I walk a lot, probably why I wasn’t in the 20s. It seems that 2 vials had gone bad. Wow!!! Would the pharmacist replace them or am I just out of $ with them?

1 Like

Try to ask the pharmacist. If you kept them refrigerated then I bet they did not go bad. The point of the walks is to get the blood flowing around the body.

When I inject insulin in fat ( love handles ) the insulin does not work. After an hour and a half, I give up and shoot somewhere else. I keep moving the injection sites around my body. That seems to work.