When People Tell You About the "Latest Cure" For Type 1

People will never understand the difference between Type 1 and 2 because they don't walk in our shoes and it's beyond their understanding. Things that are not relevant to our lives we don't feel it is necessary to understand.

You have more knowledge than me...

I hope Lizzy's Mom is still here , almost 4 years after her posting ??
Can you give us an update on your sweet ( no pun intended !!) Elizabeth ?? ...a few years have gone by

Hey there!

Yep, still kickin', though I found the Children With Diabetes forum to be a better fit for me on the learning curve with a child =o).

Elizabeth is doing really well - Memorial Day weekend will be her 5 year anniversary.

She's pumping with the Animas Ping (3 years) and CGMSing with the Dexcom G4 (2 years). Both are wonderful tools with which to manage her T1D.

Her A1C's have been really good, even with going through the throes of puberty; so far nothing above an 8.4, and that was unusually high. She stays around 7.4, but this last time she had a 7.9 - my fault, well, not really, ha - I shattered my wrist around Christmas and much of her primary care fell to others as I recovered from surgery and was on pain meds.

We look forward to lower A1C's once she's grown some more; her personal best was a 6.5 =o).

We're so thankful for the tools and the education we've received - T1D was a life-changer, for sure, but is just another part of life now.

Best Regards,
Lizzy's Mom

That's good that you are helping others increase their awareness about medicine and essential facts for diabetes. Thanks for the great post. It's very opinionated and full of facts.

here’s an article that I just read. Its very simple yet easy to understand
http://tgp.com.ph/blog/diabetes-med/

There are a lot of other things I should be doing right now, but this is most important. Kudos to Lizzy. She's a lot braver than I was at her age. From the time I was 5, doctors said my life expectancy was age 36 so, as you can imagine, my 37th birthday was a big deal and when my birthday came along I'd happily tell all I was celebrating my 37th birthday, for years, but I can't do that any longer since my diabetic daughter has happily embraced turning 40 last month and I could enjoy the moment. I'm sure she started giving her own shots before I did, but then those in the know girls really are tougher than boys! Back in the days of rainbow ceilings (leave the benedict solution boiling too long as it changed color according the the sugar in the urine and exploded out of the test tube onto the white ceilings) Joslin doctors said you should be giving your own shots by the time you're eight. The Boston Globe did a feature story on me getting ready to take that step by practicing on injecting an orange and I finally got up the nerve the day before i turned 9! Gosh, that was over 60 years ago. After I tearfully discovered my daughter's diabetes after the doctor gave her a clean bill of health on her 2 year check-up, we joined some other families to start the JDF chapter in Dallas, certain we'd find a cure within 10 years. Yeah, that was over 37 years ago and we're still execting a cure. We need to keep pushing for a cure. Give your daughter a high five for me.

Elizabeth,
The good thing is you found out you were diabetic in time. Though previously very active in the diabetic community, I've relaxed some since my daughter went off to college, until recently, when age caught up with me (hallaluia!)and I learned Medicare wouldn't cover my CGM. Got my MA plan to override that denial, but there are many others needing this coverage so I've gotten active again. Due to my campaign, got a call from a former airman in California whose pump/CGM are covered by Tri-Care. He's 87, but didn't develop diabetes until he was 32!

Developing Type 1 at age 32 is not unusual. It is now understood that many of us Type 1's are diagnosed in adulthood - understood by us; the medical profession still assumes we are "too old for Type 1". I was diagnosed at age 58.