Whole psyllium-husk & cholesterol

I recently read a physician’s advice for lowering cholesterol without medications. In addition to the standard advice about exercise,vegetables,omega-3 rich foods, the doctor recommended adding whole psyllium-husk to daily diet.
Who has experience with this additive? Is it really effective in reducing LDL and total cholesterol levels?

Deborah3,

Good morning!

Here’s the evidence!!! Hope it is helpful to you.

1 Like

cool, something to try, for my cholesterol,.

I stared taking psyllium about 6 weeks ago. My lipid panel did show modest improvement all around.
I will continue w/ psyllium & report back with my next labs.

My first few days w/ psyllium proved a little challenging as I tried to figure out a reasonable way to ingest it. I have settled on a highly watered down smoothie thing: a bit of fruit (often frozen), a dollop of yogurt or buttermilk, 1 tablespoon psylium, water & ice–blended. I actually find it satifying–a good choice pre-workout etc.

1 Like

i just made physillium bread yesterday. seems to be a forgiving receipe. tastes good, and very low carb - about 2.5 per bun, i think.

Uploading…

I have been taking psyllium husk daily for 8 months. I settled on a dose of 7 grams daily.
Before my LDL was 115. It has declined to 106. Not exactly a huge improvement. My PCP, of course, is still urging me to try a low-dose statin.

1 Like