Why does an insulin shot correct faster than the pumps bolus?

whenever i put in a new infusion and pump site, i also notice a bit of an extra “strength” in my sensitivity. i don’t do any temp bolus though. i just let it ride. and, just a little off topic, when i change my dex cgm, for the first 24 hours, i notice it needs more calibrating than usual. it’s as if the sensor has to settle in before it becomes more aligned with my body.

That seems to be a common behavior frequently mentioned by users of both Dexcom & Medtronic CGMs.

It seems reasonable (to me) that after insertion there would be a period of “assimilation” (i.e. I don’t really know what happens) by the body around the insertion site. The responsiveness of the sensor to the concentration of glucose in the interstitial fluid also seems to change with time. Typically it first increases somewhat, then plateaus, and, ultimately, either decreases or fluctuates prior to sensor “death”.

If this initial increase in sensor sensitivity does happen, then it throws off any earlier calibration(s) and you have to calibrate again to get the result from your sensor to more closely match your BG.

With the Medtronic CGM we can, if we dig into it, see the ISIG values and calibration factors from which the SG (Sensor Glucose) number is calculated. I think it is easier to realize in hindsight that this is what has happened when you can look at that data.

When your infusion set is completely or partially blocked, you are missing some amount of your basal insulin. Impossible to know how much. So it’s not only bolus IOB you must consider, you are short up to four hours of basal insulin (or whatever you’ve set your insulin action time.) I’ve needed to bolus much more than I think I should need in these situations. Just keep a close eye on it and make corrections as needed. Diabetes is so much fun.

This has been the case for me for a l o n g time. So, regardless what anyone else tells you, you are not alone.
I’ve been type1 for about 35 years and on a pump for over 10 years and on a cgms for about 7 years.

I’ve heard it all and it makes zero difference when it happens to you. My Endo knows this works for me, my diabetic nurse knows it, my spouse knows it, my family knows it because each of them have seen the results between taking the correction when I am very high through the pump and taking the same, identical correction with a syringe.

Good luck. You are never alone.

thank you. i really did think that i was alone. even my endo and cde think it sounds nuts. but it is completely predictable every time. knowing it helps me make my decisions. and, btw, i never give myself an IM shot as others have supposed. i know the difference between a sub Q and an IM.

anyway, thanks again. very much appreciated.

@Daisy_Mae, when I started injections in 1945, my doctor wanted me to use the muscle in my leg. Injection into a muscle makes the insulin work very fast, much more so than in fatty tissue. With synthetic insulin, and a high of 180 or greater I correct with an injection instead of my pump. With the injection in my arm muscle I lower my BG very fast.

If there is slow absorption you may be experiencing some scar tissue. I injected for many years, and I have permanent scar tissue on my upper abdomen. I can never use that part of my body again. Now I know to rotate, and use different body parts to avoid that problem.

I love my pump for many reasons. I especially appreciate that I can vary my basal rates throughout the day and night, I have my highest basal rates starting at 6 AM. I have totally eliminated morning highs.

1 Like