Why Is It So Hard To Treat T1D With Insulin (Video)

Small correction I do better toward 30 carbs a day than 50.
But I don’t follow a eating plan other than my own. Developed over years of experience. I might just be stubborn, I just hate to be told I should only eat that and only so much. It works most of the time, but when I have added stress, (like recently) I tend to eat more carbs and sleep more and exercise less. The results are definitely not the same! The strange part even with all that my A1c stays the same.

In Canada at least, this has not been the orthodoxy for some years. I recently had an interesting conversation about this with a very well regarded CDE. The way she put it, they were “naive” at the time. There were all these promising new analog insulins that, it was thought (or hoped), would cope with food just like a healthy pancreas. Of course it didn’t turn out that way.

As well, when endos or CDEs said “You can eat what you want,” rightly or wrongly they assumed we’d be making sensible choices, not that it was license to, as another poster puts it, “shove cheeseburgers, pizza, pasta, Chinese food and cake into [our] mouth as fast as [we] could eat.” That is not a healthy way to eat for anyone, diabetic or not.

:slight_smile: For me, it will be the day I go up in smoke.