Worried about vision loss

Hello everyone!

My name is Liana. I am from Europe -> Latvia, Riga.
I am 31 years old and have diabetes for 19 years.
When I was younger, I thought “I will live forever” but now I started to understand, that my diabetes control was not good.

About a year ago my eye doctor said that she see first rethynopathy signs. Now I am checking eyes each 6 months and I dont know… its is maybe partly psychological but I feel that eyes feeling worse.
I am so worried 24/7, trying to google and usually finding information like “you will lose vision”.

And how happy I feel know, when found this forum! So good suggestions and stories about treatment and eyes. I dont feel lonely with my worries now.

Happy to find you guys

Wish you all good health and 100% vision

Liana

Welcome! New members, please, introduce yourself

I’m glad you found TuDiabetes as well! The internet can be a scary place when generally searching for things like “vision loss.” I’m confident you will get more targeted, reasonable and encouraging information here. Welcome!

“Live forever”? Hate to break the news but, there’s no way out of this, alive! But, if you religiously keep your BG within the ranges specified by a good endocrinologist, you’ll most probably enjoy an average expected life span.
Ask around, to make sure you do have a really good opthamologist and have your eyes checked as frequently as they specify. That will go a long way to relieving your anxiety. If you notice something not quite right, with your vision, be persistent when talking to your doctor’s office. Oftentimes, they aren’t paying close attention so don’t be afraid to get a little pushy. (once, I wasn’t and I paid for it by having to get retina laser surgery.
Good luck, be sensible and you’ll do just fine.

Oh, Liana, I am so sorry that you are so worried. When I was 30 and had already had type 1 diabetes for 22 yrs, I too found out that I had the beginnings of retinopathy. I was devastated.

I started getting a better handle on controlling my diabetes, and the retinopathy disappeared. Now ophthalmologists can’t tell that I have diabetes and haven’t seen anything unusual in my eyes for many years. I am now 68 and plan on living a very long life.

If you control your diabetes well, you will be fine and will live a normal lifespan.