Xdrip Battery life help! Rebuilt Dex g5

@Alinurse74. I have used epoxy and sugru both with success when replacing batteries. Epoxy is harder to remove for the 2nd round.

1 Like

I take off the top metal flaps. They donā€™t seem worth keeping for me. I just make sure that I loosen up the tab where it hits the SIDE of the battery, and I donā€™t have any issues.
Also makes doing it over and over pretty easy.
I use clear epoxy, makes it easier to see what you are taking off when you redo them. And also for piece of mind that they are both sealed, and you have enough epoxy over the batteries.

For taking off the plastic/epoxy, I use bristle disc for removal. Bristle Disc
These work great, are pretty safe for not damaging too much, etc.

3 Likes

Thanks for adding the link! Are you using specific batteries that seem to last longer? The Energizer 890 has good reviews that I have read.

I am going to do a thin epoxy first and jazz it up with a glitter acrylic on top. I might try the sugru instead.
When I get good at it I want to help others with theirs. There is a big demand I see for it, and the transmitters are ridiculous out of pocket cost. The sensor you can make last weeks. I doā€¦

I used the 389 batteries with great results as well. But maybe I got lucky?

1 Like

Unless I am mistaken the OEM battery is a Renata 391

Yes you are right I am not sure why I tossed out a dyslexic number I did. Was actually ordering when I realized I typed the wrong thing.
I just hooked up my new transmitter and this is what itā€™s showing. I am discouragedā€¦

If you have a new transmitter that was just rebuilt, it will often have higher resistance numbers.
But those are super high!
That looks like bad battery or connection.

1 Like

To clarify, they will be high AT FIRST. But they will settle down. I would often see resistance around 800 to 1200 when fresh. But settle down around 400 to 600 soon afterwards.

That was the whole decision to do them myself. It has actually come down in a few hours (still high) voltage is actually increasing. How that is happening beats the hell outa me. Not much but up.
When I asked the person who rebuilt it they explained resistance is the sensor nothing to do with battery.
My first 24 hours on a startup does always alarm with noise and it needs to settle down almost.

When I do mine when supplies arrive how do I reset the days? Will that happen automatically with new batteries? That isnā€™t in any of the videos.

Xdrip has the setting in there for it.
I never had good luck with it resetting the date on the G5 before, but I also know the software has had many updates since then.
But, if you are only using xdrip on the phone, no need.

2 Likes

Yes only using it on the phone. I didnā€™t know I could use it anywhere else! I know it says watch etc but I donā€™t have it on my laptop

Ok Hammer what doea the resistance mean? I keep getting conflicting info. Is it battery or sensor? My sensors are all expired. It is on day 12 I think now. Screenshot_2019-06-21-13-03-52

My readings are spot on. No issues with BS readings. Or loosing signal! I am going to try work on a g4 on wed when I have everything. Use it with the receiver while this one still worksā€¦ Just not using xdrip for that. I have several g4 to play with
Screenshot_2019-06-21-13-11-18|250x500

1 Like

Resistance is based on the connection through the batteries.
Xdrip will read off the resistance when the transmitter isnā€™t connected to anything at all.
I always first verify connections with a multimeter, then with xdrip, before I seal up a transmitter.

1 Like

Ok so they could be not touching the connections properly or touching both terminalsā€¦? I am trying to understand the technology so it clicks mentally with me. The battery is tested before you seal. They should show on the bottom of the transmitter, and individually. Making sure I am right. Now I think I understand that part.

I check the batteries separately, then check to see voltage across them. I am not usually worried about the rest of the transmitter unless there were previous issues?
Honestly, I donā€™t keep any metal to put OVER the top of the battery like they are stock. I use a small pick to dig out the contact on the side of the battery, put a small kink in it, and that works really well.
Folding over the contact under the battery is honestly the hardest part of the entire thing. It will require a little learning and technique to get that part right.

@Hammer how.do you reset G5 transmitter days? This might be a good thing for me as then the rebuilt transmitters might work with my pump again.

Not really necessary IMHO

You can cut them shorter as well, but their stock length makes them really close to touching the side.
I found that with them folded, it easily makes contact with the battery without issues.